The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel
Ranked #12 of 195 Hotels in Ubud
Milan
“Out standing !”
Reviewed 4 September 2014

We stayed at the Chedi in Ubud Bi August 2014 for 4 nights, we are a family of 4 with 2 kids of 6&9.
I try to be objective in my reviews trying to avoid superlatives, when you rate a 5 star hotel you expect a certain level of service. In the case of the Chedi though this is difficult because I have found it truly outstanding and with a different, much more personalized and homely feeling compared to other properties of the same level. First of all the setting is beautiful, right in the middle of rice fields and with only 20 rooms which gives it a very intimate feeling. We had a villa which is composed of a very large living room, a bedroom, a massage room with 2 massage beds, a beautiful bathroom with a large walk in shower, a rear patio with a large private pool with jacuzzi and a front veranda.
The living room has a large elevated sofa on which 2 mattresses were placed for the kids, very comfortable. The massage room in the villa was great because you got the treatments in your room in a fully equipped manner, great for keeping the kids under control.
The formula which the Chedi adopts includes breakfast, minibar including soft drinks and alcoholic beverages, snacks, coffee etc, wifi, transport to Ubud and back, yoga classes, laundry, tea in the afternoon and a daily 90 minute massage for 2 persons. They provide you with a butler, in our case Kadek, very kind, helpful and informative, we are grateful to him for having made our stay so memorable.
Food is very good at breakfast and also dinner. Twice a week the organize a traditional dance in the hotel gardens with a Balinese dinner: excellent.
All the staff is very gracious and really make this establishment superb, the therapists are excellent, the restaurant and bar personnel are very attentive and kind.
I asked for a late check out since we had a night flight and they let me use the room for the whole day until 10pm without any extra cost and even offered complimentary transport to the airport, a very nice touch, thank you to the General Manager for such a courtesy.
This establishment is very calm and relaxing, great to unwind enjoying the massages, the scenery and the pool.
The kids loved the place too and we're crying when we left also because Kadek had been so nice with them.
This hotel is not suitable if you are into excitement and night life because you need a care to go into the center of Ubud.
We would have gladly stayed more and I strongly recommend it, the Chedi made me feel at home I would definitely return and highly recommend it as one of the best hotels I have ever been to in the world.
The only complaint I had was that in the morning there was too much light, I would have appreciated being able to keep the light out.
I was not at all impressed with Ubud.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Dario S
Alain-Bachmann, General Manager at The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel, responded to this review, 8 September 2014
Dear Guest,

Delighted to read your Out standing review about our hotel ! Thank you so much for sharing your much detailed feedback on here which we truly appreciate.

I have noted your comment about darkening your windows to block the sunlight. You might be happy to learn that we are in fact in the process to install black-out curtains in all villas and suites.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah in the not too distant future and thank you for your visit.

Alain Bachmann

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 3 September 2014

We stayed at The Chedi Club as a part of our honeymoon. The resort sits within its own paddy fields and the views from the restaurant are beautiful. The staff were universally excellent - friendly, happy, polite and attentive.

This is a small hotel which makes for a relaxing stay - the pool and the restaurant are never busy and the staff to guest ratio is very good.

You have a "butler" during your stay who can give advice on day trips and arrange them for you. They will also deliver room service to your villa and generally oversee the house keeping of your villa. The word "butler" makes the arrangement sound more formal than it is - we found our butler to be friendly, chatty and extremely helpful.

1 Thank Mark W
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for recently staying with us at The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah and for taking the time to share your feedback.

It is a pleasure to read your positive comments and I was especially happy to learn that you enjoyed our butler services.

Again, thank you and we look forward to seeing you again with us in Ubud.

Colchester, UK
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Absolutely beautiful hotel, in a stunning location set amongst rice fields. When we stayed we were told the hotel was nearly at full capacity but hardly saw anyone else. Extremely well designed. We stayed in a spa villa which was beautiful, treatments were superb. It took us a while to decide between a pool villa and spa villa but very glad we chose the spa villa as it was huge, it had a lovely outdoor rain shower, sauna and huge bath tub. The main swimming pool (hardly used when we were there) was only a few metres away and again just beautiful. We found it hard to leave the hotel (very unlike us as we love to explore). Staff, service and food were exceptional. Absolutely the best hotel we have ever stayed on all levels. An experience I will never forget.

Room Tip: Spa villa was wonderful.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Alain-Bachmann, General Manager at The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your recent visit to The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah.

Your gracious review took our breath away ! Thank you so very much.

We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us and can't wait to have you back with us in Ubud very soon.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 27 August 2014

This place is magical. The entire resort is just stunning with gorgeously appointed villas and suites. The staff could be any more accommodating or helpful. The food offering is fabulous. I am in love with this place and will continue to stay here on my next Bali visits.

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your recent visit to The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah.

We are of course delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and my team was particularly happy to receive your gracious compliment.

We are of course looking forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Bali.

Richmond
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Why come here?
1. Unique and atmospheric : this place has history and culture, romance and charm. It is NOT a chain experience, which is refreshing
2. Very lovely, traditional architecture and a generally well appointed resort
3. Small - just 20 rooms, creating an intimate and quiet feeling even when full
4. Truly spectacular grounds and setting, ponds, paddy fields, gardens
5. Lovely spa, but not "spa focused". No obligation to be a yoga fetishist .....
6. Excellent personal touches (complimentary laundry, tea, cocktail hour etc). Delightful.
7. Close proximity to Ubud Central, with a complimentary shuttle service on demand and cars available all the time to shuttle to and from - felt like having your own chauffeur

What would I change : not much, but
1. Watch out for updating being needed for Villa 1 especially, and soon - eg bathrooms, blinds, cupboard doors etc. The whole resort will need a refresh (eg taps, loos) in the not too distant future if it wants to compete with the new arrivals in Ubud
2. Make service levels more consistent. This absolutely let the resort down. Details below
3. One tiddly but annoying thing we all commented on : the large ceramic bowls of shampoo / conditioner etc are completely impractical - it's clear that they get dropped in the shower and it's impossible to get anything out of them .... Please change to something easier to use (and where I can be sure I'm not sharing it with the previous guest ...)

We stayed at Chedi Club for five nights in August. We were a party of six, two adults in one pool villa, my husband, myself and our 11 year old in Villa 1, the two bedroom house, and my 15 year old son in his own pool villa. I had looked at the room layouts well in advance and asked for us to be close together, and the hotel were very accommodating. Lots of free water, good free wifi that worked quickly and well. Each rom had tea and coffee making facilities, with plenty of milk (a real treat in Bali).

The pool villas are great - actually easier to manage than the big villa unless you really need the space. Each pool was lovely and clean, private and secluded, with great seating outside. The rooms themselves were very nice (though I would add one more chair myself). Bathrooms were excellent and well supplied with towels and amenities.

The main house (villa 1) is genuinely lovely, but slightly more worn and dated than the villas. The aircon in the master bathroom dripped on the floor, which was slippery, and some of the Venetian blinds are beginning to show their age, and are not the easiest way of stopping the light. As others have commented, you are close to nature here. You will have geckos, toads and insects, and if you have villa 1, you will have bats as well. They live in the living room's exceptionally high ceiling and are not a problem but watch out for a little bat poo in the morning, and I'd recommend keeping the bedroom doors shut. None of this was a problem for us - and part of the reason why we picked this property was because we didn't want a formulaic "Four Seasons" experience. Also, be aware that Villa 1 is not as private as the other villas - the private pool can be viewed from the main pathway. Not a problem again, but worth being aware of if your plan is skinny dipping at sunrise .....

My only complaint about the hotel was that the service was strangely patchy. The butlers are a super idea, and work well. We had three of them, and they all did an excellent job. But we had hugely patchy service in the restaurant, particularly at breakfast. They were all very apologetic about it, but it was in sharp contrast to, for example, Alila's service levels. One morning, breakfast took over an hour to get sorted, for no apparent reason.

This is a lovely hotel, and we came to it from an impossibly fantastic private yacht experience beforehand, so Chedi was always going to have a hard time living up to that. However, it delivered what we wanted, which was a peaceful, beautiful and unique experience in more traditional surroundings, enabling us to get a taste of this part of Bali. Job well done!

Room Tip: Villa 1 is the only two bed. Comments are above. Note that the second bathroom only has an open-air...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Caroline S
Alain-Bachmann, General Manager at The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your most detailed feedback and for recently staying with us at The Chedi Club Ubud.

The team and I are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I have passed on your gracious compliments to your butlers.

However, I felt sorry and would like to apologize that the restaurant service was not up to standards at times. In fact, we believe our guests deserve an ever-improving service so we appreciate you mentioning this matter. I have already discussed it with our Executive Chef and Restaurant Manager to ensure the service timing is significantly improved at all meal periods.

Thank you again for your visit and we would very much enjoy welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Launceston, Australia
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Nothing was too much trouble for the charming and welcoming staff at the Chedi Club. Chef Dean ' s food was excellent and the rice field, where we watched fireflies and were serenaded by frogs was a very special place in which to enjoy it. The monkey dance, which men of all ages from the local village took part in, was magical and our villa, with its own pool and gorgeous local furnishings was exquisite. We did not want to leave and are already planning a return visit! This is the second Chedi property we have visited and while the two are very different, both have incredibly high standards of comfort and service, beautiful design and truly wonderful staff.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Alain-Bachmann, General Manager at The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for you recent visit to The Chedi Club Ubud and for sharing your feedback with us. We appreciate your loyalty towards GHM and thank you for being a valued Chedi return guest.

We were delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and I have passed your compliments to Chef Dean and the entire team who are already looking forward to welcoming you back very soon !

Best wishes,
Vancouver
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Properties like the Chedi Club Ubud are more than hotels — they are retreats…destinations…an oasis. From the moment we entered and were greeted by our personal butler, it felt like we were a world away from the bustle of Bali (yes, that’s saying something!). The villas are nicely spread out, the pool area made the property feel entirely your own and the restaurant facing the rice paddies was so serene. I loved the daily complimentary happy hour and appreciated the use of a mobile while we were out in the town. During one of the happy hours, we got to talking to the head chef, who was a super friendly guy. He offered to make us a custom Indonesian lunch on our last afternoon and that remains one of my most memorable meals in Bali! If I am forced to nitpick, I would say our butler, while good, lacked a bit of personality. Also, I noted that other guests received bags of Ubud rice upon departure and we were so excited to receive that! However, our butler either forgot or didn't give it to us, so we left a bit bummed.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for recently staying with us at The Chedi Club Ubud and for sharing your feedback.

We are happy to learn that you much enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your compliment which I have passed to Chef.

I do apologize for your butler missing on presenting you the farewell gift. This should of course not happen. Please do let us know your address and we would be delighted to ship it to you - with a little added surprise.

Again, thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.