“Surreal experience, everything was perfection!”

The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel
Ranked #5 of 196 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 22 January 2009

I meant to write about this magical place the second I returned home from Bali. We landed in Denpasar after 30 hours in the air and were greeted by a lovely driver who whisked us away in a Limo (read minivan but hey we are in the sub tropics). I had no idea what to expect as I left the hotels to a trusted family travel agent. You pull up to a non descript street are checked by security and then you enter paradise. The "lobby" is an open air terrace with hanging elephants, statues and water features. We were greeted by the British GM and our "butler" Sutari. She guided us to #5 which had a giant Hindu god "guarding" our residence. Let me state that I am hard to please when it comes to rooms/linens and lay out and our room was amazing. You have your own plunge pool plus an air conditioned bedroom with his and hers "getting ready" areas. The fridge was stocked every day; you can eat by your pool at a comfortable outdoor area. Our pool opened into a rice paddy. It was off season so you rarely saw other guests. Some things we enjoyed on property were the open air dining room, cocktails at 5pm, the yoga instruction (free) was top notch, the main infinity pool and of course the people. Everyone gracious and lovely. It seemed there were 10 hotel workers to every guest. The food was AMAZING!!!!
I didn't use the spa to the full advantage but it over looks rice paddies for miles. I will say after venturing to the Ritz, the Chedi was a deal and a half. Spa treatments ran about $100USD where at the Ritz they might run $300USD. Take advantage of the Legian dance they hold on Fridays. It is amazing, intimate and unreal. I can't say enough and have no complaints. I said to my husband, I would love to go there to wait out my days. It is that great! As mentioned I am picky but I can honestly say I have NO complaints.

PS - I was worried as a reviewer wrote in that their butler came in without knocking. This never happened to us. She either called or would let us know.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TravelgalMAM
Write a ReviewReviews (1,153)

Reviewed 7 January 2009

Stayed at the Chedi Club the 2nd time from 1 to 4 Jan 09. (The first time was in Mar 08.) As usual, I had a fantastic time at the Chedi Club. This place awes! My personal butler, Supri, is fantastic. Taking care of my every needs (arranging the restaurants, the transfers, getting me the best table, bringing me on a padi field track). His knowledge of the padi field is extremely wide-ranging. His friendly and earnest disposition makes the trip extremely memorable.

The food in the only restaurant is good. Better than the first time actually. Try the slow cooked bebek/duck (8 hours). It is tender and tasty. Salivating now…

Helen, the GM of the hotel greeted me every morning. The fact that this is a small hotel adds to the charm. Other than breakfast, I hardly saw anyone around. I spent lots of time at the pool, reading my magazines and books. Very tranquil. Try the spa tol, a bit expensive, but well worth it.

The only minor complaint that I have is that the villas are a little old/dated. Perhaps some refreshing will make this an even better place. That is a minor issue. I love the art pieces in my spa villa. The pieces of Indonesian art are featured in a book. The owner is extremely trusting.

Go and enjoy the Chedi Club at Tanah Gajah. You will not regret it.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Traveller T
Reviewed 19 December 2008

We stayed at The Chedi Club for three nights and it was absolutely fantastic! The hotel, our villa, the service and the food were all excellent. The villa allows for total privacy. The room (generously spacious), the outside seating area (very comfortable), the own villa pool (with a view of the rice paddies and the biggest mountain of Bali in the distance) all made the stay very private and relaxing, perfect to make the stay exclusive and relaxing. It is hard too describe how wonderful our stay was. If we return to Bali in the future we will defintely try to stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 November 2008

Great resort abd great serice, we can't ask for more.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 October 2008

We went to Bali in early September 08. Our first stop on arrival was the Chedi Club in Ubud for 3 nights. The hotel is about 1 hour/ 1,5 hour north of Denpasar airport. I had not booked the visa service through the hotel but wish i had!! Basically, when you arrive you have to queue up to buy your visa on arrival (around $25) you then have to go to another queue for passport control and visa control. This process took about 1,5 hours doing nothing but standing in a queue in a not so airconditioned room. The offer from the hotel that they could have done this for you (at a charge)suddenly then seemed very reasonable!
Anyway, got through and our driver from the hotel was waiting with water and cold towels - lovely.
Arrived at the Chedi club and were met by Agus, our butler for the stay in his golf buggy. Went to reception for a cool drink and check in and then did a buggy tour around the resort. The resort is very spacious with a lot of beautiful gardens and stone elephants scattered around the 20 or so villas nestled in the rice paddy fields. We were very happy with our villa. It was very spacious with everything you would need and more.
You have a free mini bar incl alcoholic drinks, cookies and fresh fruit. You also have daily laundry included - great! We loved our pool and the outside seating area and spent a lot of time just de-stressing looking out over the rice fields.
There is afternoon tea served in the different lounge areas/bar/restaurant every afternoon to entice you to leave your villa for an hour and there is also happy hour every day with free drinks.
The hotel organises rice paddy trekking which is good fun.. also white water rafting and cycling tours. There is also yoga classes and a spa where you can have a massage whilst looking out over the rice fields.Your butler will do all your bookings for you.

Ubud is famous for their art and wood /stone carvings and we saw some amazing pieces. Excellent if you live in the country side with a massive house and garden - not so good if you live in a small place in London :-)
All in all, we really liked Ubud, very quiet and tranquil place to stay and just relax. 3 days was perfect - not too long and not too short. We then moved on to the Elysian in Seminyak for our next stop (see review).

• Stayed: September 2008
3  Thank Malin E
Reviewed 28 October 2008

We went to the Chedi Club for the first week of our honeymoon in Bali and stayed for 5 nights. This place is absolutely amazing!

I would echo the comments of all the previous reviewers, such as:

1) The grounds are stunning - you are surrounded by lush paddy fields and they have really given attention to detail when they have designed the hotel. If you want to properly relax and unwind, this is the place to come! You can do complimentary yoga several days a week and I have to say that doing yoga looking out onto acres of green paddy fields is just about as good as it can get (I'm a bit of a yoga fan! )

2) The service is EXCEPTIONAL. My husband travels a lot with work and has stayed in some pretty amazing hotels, but he had never experienced service like this before. The 'personal butler' service is amazing. Our butler dealt with our every need but without ever invading our privacy. He was simply exceptional. We were amazed however, at how ALL the staff at the hotel were so polite and friendly and delivered exceptional service at all times from the gardeners who said a cheery hello as you passed, to the restaurant staff, the main pool attendant, the reception staff and the drivers who take you to Ubud. They really cannot do enough to please you and you feel that the staff are being genuine, rather than giving good service because they feel they have to (they don't seem to expect tips either, although we did give some). I don't understand how one couple who made a review on this site said the staff were 'cool'. We found the total opposite.

3) Hotel rooms - amazing. We stayed in a pool villa - which was beautiful. A decent sized infinity pool (larger than we expected), with doors which the butler opens to look out onto the paddy field. Our own personal sun loungers too and a fridge stocked full of complimentary soft drinks (or vodka, gin, whisky if you really want it!) and snacks (nuts, dried fruit etc) BLISS! Just beware - as they are working paddy fields and the paddy field workers do pass your villa and give you a cheery wave as they do so! (We didn't have a problem with this, in fact, this was part of the place's charm, but make sure you don't bathe topless in your private pool (or worse!) if the gates to the paddy field are open!!). The semi - outdoor bath was also a real treat!

4) Spa - is excellent - great service, as you'd expect and great treatments, all looking out onto the paddy fields. Very relaxing.

5) Food - very good quality. The restaurant prices are pretty high though (we live in London and they were the same price as a decent restaurant in London) and a bottle of wine is likely to set you back £15 - £20. However, restaurant prices in Ubud are must cheaper (insanely cheap in some places) and the hotel will run transfers to Ubud up til about 11.30pm (and nothing much happens in Ubud after this time anyway!). Ask the reception staff or your butler for restaurant recommendations in Ubud, as there are lots of choices and some are better than others.

The hotel is abut 15 mins drive from Ubud, but the hotel will drive you there and pick you up for free in your own private car whenever you please (although at busy times it is advisable to book about an hour before you want to go).

It's all the little touches that make this place so amazing - and there are too many of those to list. I would definitely recommend it if you want a relaxing break and I'd definitely visit again.

One point to note though....this hotel is probably best suited to couples. I'm sure if you are two friends on a holiday, you can have a relaxing time here too, but it definitely seemed geared towards couples/romantic breaks/honeymooners.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank BarnseyLondon
Reviewed 22 October 2008

After leaving the luxory of The Legian, we made our way north to Ubud for a 4 night stay at the Chedi Club. We were a little bit nervous as we'd read several poor reviews on Trip Advisor however I've got to ask where did those people go or what were they thinking?

The Chedi Club is simply the most beautiful place on earth and we've both been to some wonderful places in India and Thailand so this is a measured view.

We had a private pool villa set amidst the most breathtaking, peaceful and spiritual gardens, surrounded by rice fields as far as the eye can see, overlooked in the distance by the volcanic Mount Batur.

The gardens were punctuated by classically and elegantly designed and built villa's, some of which were part of the original estate before it became a hotel, statues of Hindu Gods & Goddesses especially Ganesh (The Chedi Club is in Tanah Gajah, the place of the Elephant) all decorated by bright red hibiscus petals and walkways leading to lakes and isolated pagoda's.

The infinity pool was simply breathtaking with three Ganesh statues constantly pouring water into it through their trunks - you could stare at them and the view over their heads for hours... and we did.

The place is so huge and spread out, you will only really see your fellow guests in the huge open sided restaurant, which is almost built into a spur of land in the midst of the rice paddies and you can gaze for miles across mesmerising rice crops, undulating in the gorgeous breeze.

Previous reviews have complained of pushy butlers or the place being too bland or typically un-Bali like. We hardly ever saw our butler, but when we wanted him, he was there ready to do anything that made us happy during our stay. As for those people that complained of the place being not Balinese enough... get a life! With the southern resorts of Kuta and Seminyak becoming so touristy that all the rice fields are disapearing to allow more and more villa's, restaurants and hotels to be built, the Chedi Club is a spiritual oasis in a desert of commercialism.

The Lonely Planet says that days become weeks in Ubud, they certainly do in the Chedi Club. If you want a very peaceful, relaxing, spiritual and beautiful place to recharge your batteries after a week of sun, sea and surf in the south, then I urge you to spend some time here... it is simply unbelievable.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple