“Good Value - Good Location - Good Standard.”

Champlung Sari Hotel
Ranked #95 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 3 March 2011

We stayed at the Champlung Sari Hotel in Ubud for 4 nights in February 2011 and found the hotel to be very good value for money. The breakfast was adequate and fresh and the room was clean and comfortable. We had a deluxe room that was very spacious and quiet. The hotel is currently undergoing some renovations but this did not effect our stay as most of the noise was during the day when we were out on tours. Location is excellent and you can walk to the center of Ubud in about 10 minutes. The hotel provided free WiFi in the outdoor areas and this was very much appreciated.
The bed was very comfortable so we had a good night's sleep every night. The pool was a good temperature and this will improve when the renovations are completed as there is a new big pool.
We saw some previous comments about the noise from the renovations but this is not a problem and did not worry us at all.
The staff are very friendly and helpful. We had previously stayed at the Furama Resort which is a bit out of town and needed a bus to reach Ubud. The location of this hotel is a big plus.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank peteozi

Reviewed 24 February 2011

Great buffet breakfast with lots of choice, nice pool, great location and big spacious rooms. We also used their Spa which was a nice experience. Would recommend this hotel, especially if you are looking for a well located hotel which is nice but not noisy

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank 926richardc
Reviewed 3 February 2011

If your like most people on Tripadvisor you may have noticed the not so high rank of this establishment and may be put off...But with a lot of things it's worth delving deeper to determine what peoples problems were and i decided that they were not significant enough to put me off booking. We stayed in room 308 which appeared to be newly renovated and was very spacious. The check in girls and staff were friendly and helpful on the occasions we asked for help calling our tour guides. The pool area is quite nice and if your lucky/unlucky you may be visited by the resident monkeys! breakfast was not great but adequate start to the day. One thing that stuck with me and was slightly off putting during breakfast was the the quite visible dirt marks on the wall behind the egg station, it doesn't take much to whack out a cloth for a quick wipe. The hotel is well located and a short walk to lots of restaurants overall decent stay but would probably try somewhere else

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vinnyboy10
Reviewed 3 January 2011

We booked one night at the Champlung Sari Hotel but we found out that there was a problem with the shower. The staff were very diligent at fixing the problem. When we told the manager that we wanted to stay longer, the manager upgraded us to a nicer room at a discounted price so we were happy. The hotel is also very close to nice restaurants.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dkawa4
Reviewed 11 December 2010

We had a large room on the top floor in the new section Room 415. Wonderful light and great view of the rice fields nearby and I think a very good value for the room. Everything worked well, the staff was pleasant, the breakfast buffet had enough choices that everyone that was traveling with us was quite satisfied. Being next to the monkey forest was a plus since we could walk through the forest right into the rice fields and also have the Ubud market within walking distance. We had a wonderful driver -Alit Krisna who speaks great English, had a new van that accommodated 7 of us and his day rates were great and he took us all over the island. His village is in Peliatan right next to Ubud, known for amazing dancers .. His contact is Alit Krisnu email: alitkrisnu@yahoo.com. or phone outside Bali 011-62-361-974253.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ayu
Reviewed 6 December 2010

I am a very well travelled person, as is my hubby I'm going to be brutally honest this hotel (I am assuming we were put in a deluxe room in the old section) was totally below average. I believe that the location of this hotel is what gives it a ridiculous rating of 4 stars on some websites including the one we booked via! This hotel is just over the road from monkey forest and you can walk to restaurants in both directions outside the hotel but that was the only positive for us during our stay. If we had been in Ubud for longer than a couple of nights we would have moved hotels. We arrived in the early evening and our room was very disappointing. I have stayed in cheap hostels which were in a better state of cleanliness etc, to give travellers a better picture of what I am talking about I have made a list :-
- The "deluxe" room was absolutely filthy and dark - looked as though it had gone weeks without a proper clean, there were mould spores everywhere, dust, mossys and the tired mouldy towels and bed linen were smelly and just awful.
The bathroom toilet had what looked like vomit stains on the back of it, I asked housekeeping to clean it but that never happened (I had essential oils with me and cleaned it myself!) The bathroom window has open slats so mossys were all over, we had to burn our mossy coils to keep them out of the bathroom.
The shower drain was blocked, the water was lukewarm and the bath was absolutely filthy.
- I have noticed another review on here saying the same re: aircon. Both nights we were there, the aircon and all power to the room went off from around 1am - 5am, we know this because the aircon was very noisy and just went off. Not helpful if you need to use the bathroom etc and also very humid so aircon all night is a must for us.
- The inside of the room itself was dirty, the floors, benchtops, tea cups. I suggested to reception that this room had not been cleaned before our arrival but it was a waste of time they couldn't understand us very well and were rude and disinterested.
- There were a variety of stains all over the top sheets and inside the bed. I am sure the sheets had been washed however they smelt like mould and the stains were just visually disgusting. The mattress protector was the worst it was covered in stains of various sorts and did not appear to have been washed for some time it was smelly and was not fresh. I went to reception and asked for another deluxe room, apparently we had a deluxe room, the best room I was told. They ushered me away and ten minutes later two young men arrived at our room to change the sheets. The housekeeping appears to be all very young men and consists of only towel changes and the bin being emptied during our stay that was all we received. There were no spare double-mattress protectors so we had to sleep in the bed with a single mattress protector which was far too small for the bed and only a thin sheet between us and the mattress itself. I was very upset at that as the old sheets had little red blood spots in lines (bedbugs) I have travelled enough to know that is what they were from and they were all over the previous sheets. Luckily we didn't get bitten, not by bedbuds anyway.
- The breakfast was very basic, it was covered in flies, half of the heaters were always out, hot food was cold etc etc. Also this is the first Asian hotel I have ever stayed at where fresh drinking water had to be asked for each time and was not set out at breakfast time. Then when we received it it was in a small glass we were told it was mineral water but we're sure it wasn't due to the colour and therefore didn't drink it.
- Reception staff were disinterested in anything we had to say, in the end we made do and just couldn't wait to get out of there. I believe that if the rooms had an information folder in them the reception staff probably wouldn't get as many enquiries as they seemed to be getting when we were there, there was absolutely no information at all in the rooms.
- The wifi is only in the reception area not in the rooms but is pretty fast so that helps if you are checking e-mails etc.
I don't normally review many hotels as we've been very lucky in all the places we've been to and have never had a very bad experience, we were so disappointed in this stay hence my review. There is obviously a problem in the old section of this hotel as the reviews are so diverse.
Ubud is beautiful, a lovely place with lovely sights and people however we will definitely not return to this hotel, I would recommend that you stay elsewhere unless you are guaranteed a newly decorated room. There were so many lovely, quaint places to stay up the road, you can quite easily rent bicycles or mopeds and stay somewhere in central/outer Ubud and commute as the locals do and get far more value for money.
The Monkey Forest is great however you can walk around it in an hour and is very easy to access from other parts of Ubud. I look forward to going back one day! : )

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 November 2010

Wow. I'm quite shocked at reading some of the negative reviews of this hotel. It's almost like my boyfriend and I stayed at a totally different place. We did stay in a deluxe room (highest standard of the resort), so that could be a reason for the difference of opinion.. I really wasn't expecting much after reading some of the reviews pre-departure, but I was delighted when I arrived at the Champlung Sari. The location was pretty good (at the end of the main street) and opposite Moneky Forest, and our room was spacious with nice decor. The staff had even sprinkled flowers around the room before our arrival. The two swimming pools were quite basic, but we didn't really spend much time there. If you're after a lye by the pool beach holiday then I'd probably suggest the Kuta area or Lembogan. Ubub has so many other things to do and the shopping is great. I'd definitely recommend the Laughing Budda Bar (along the main street) for cocktails, The Jazz Cafe for a nice meal and the Buddha Cafe for a healthy alternative. Probably one of my favourite restaurants in Bali and for that matter, any country I've visited, is Lamak. It's located along the main street and it really was something special. Entrees and desserts cost around $7 and the main are about $13-18. So not really Bali cheap, but cheap in comparison to most other countries. Go there if you want a meal to remember. With regard to the Champlung Sari, if I had one criticism it would be about the breakfast. It wasn't horrible, but quite average. But then again, if you're happy eating toast everyday then it'll be fine. Watching the monkeys climb and frollick around in the trees from the breakfast area was probably the thing I'll most remember about this hotel.. so in summary, if you're after a relatively cheap place to stay whiulst exploring Ubud, with a great location and friendly staff, then I'd definitely suggest this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple