“My husband's surprise 60th at beautiful Payogan in Ubud Bali”

The Payogan Villa Resort & Spa
Ranked #86 of 198 Hotels in Ubud
Orroroo, Australia
“My husband's surprise 60th at beautiful Payogan in Ubud Bali”
Reviewed 19 February 2013

What a wonderful place to stay with drop jaw scenery and gorgeous gardens. The Payogan Villa Resort and Spa is pure indulgence for every minute of our holiday. We couldn't ask for more.
This was my 4th visit to Bali and I wanted to stay in the mountains away from the bustle of Kuta, where I knew the climate was cooler and kinder, but still in a location where we could access the shopping of Ubud. I couldn't have chosen a better spot or better service and food. The staff and service was terrific and concern for our welfare was notable from the first moment of entering the gates.
As this was a surprise 60th birthday gift for my husband the catering staff also came on board with a chocolate black forest cake, Yummy,Yummy Yummy. Our accommodation was beautiful, large and exceptionally clean, and well maintained providing everything that Bali has to offer and we were very privileged to stay in both a garden villa and a pool villa. I felt totally indulgent as one of our days we had a top to toe massage, swim in our private pool, followed by prawns for lunch with Verve champagne and brilliant company of close friends. We ate at the restaurant each night after happy hour at the swim up bar with a delightful bar man to help with our special requests, like two cherries and our version of Black Russians.My favourite dish on the menu was the BBQ spare ribs but if I don't have to cook it, then all the dishes were great.
It may have only been 6 nights but I can't wait until I do it again, somewhere in the future.
I highly recommend this accommodation to those who love Bali and beautiful gardens and terrific service.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Pauline M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 16 February 2013 via mobile

It's everything you expect when you ask for a villa close to nature. The view is jaw dropping. The service puts a smile on our faces every time. The room is spotless and fit for royalty. A must visit if you want a peaceful stay in gorgeous Ubud

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank DebMjNaz
Reviewed 15 February 2013

We stayed at Payogan Resort with another couple and were hoven a very warm welcome. Our first impressions were WOW! The ambience was wonderful and the scenery fantastic. We were both booked into garden villa rooms, romantic four poster extremely comfortable bed-luxurious indoor/outdoor garden bathroom with sunken bath. The villa was very spacious. Bottled water supplied and if we wanted more we only had to ask. Our air conditioner could have been better in this room but our friends air con certainly worked well. Because of a double booking (I think) we were asked if we would mind staying fot 2 nights at their sister hotel Champlung Sari on Monkey Forest Rd, Ubud (very good location but rooms not as good) then we went back and were given upgrades to luxurious villas with private pools, out door Bali day beds, beautiful walled gardens for total privacy (& the air con was fantastically cool!)
I would give 5 stars for how the staff cheerfully looked after our every need. We ate our evening meal at the resort every night, very tasty, especially the Crispy Duck (my favourite) and at a great price, the buffet breakfast was really good too! We all loved 'happy hour' at the swim up bar and the barman did a great job making our favourite cocktails and was good to chat to.
Staff arranged an excellent driver for us (Made) who took us on amazing drives and was more than happy to take us where ever we wanted at a great negotiated price.
The spa was 'heaven' great value for $$ and I would highly recommend the 'top to toe' pamper package, great way to finish the stay!
Wayan looked after us personally and made sure we were satisfied and very happy with our stay, he even took my husband on his own motor bike to buy a motor bike helmet!
Overall I would highly recommend staying here. If you are looking to relax want to be in a quieter & cooler area (but still close to great shopping and fantastic tourist sights) the Payogan Resort & Spa is the place to stay.

Carol Burford
SOUTH AUSTRALIA

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank CarolBurford
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed 11 February 2013

I stayed in Payogan Ubud for 2 nights during september 2012, I stayed in Valley view private pool villa and it was amazing except for the insects, but I think it is not about the hotel it's about Ubud itself, The pool was so nice and the view was amazing, but the open area in the bathroom is a mistake as it is letting insects in the bathroom I have to say that staying two or three nights in Ubud while visiting Bali is a must, go rafting and go to the Bali Zoo or Safari while in Ubud.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Samah M
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2013

We stayed here for the first 3days of our honeymoon. The food made me sick and I was given chicken sausages! I ordered beef for our romantic meal which was set up beautifully with rosé petals and candles but the beef was so tuff I could not cut never mind eat and even my husband who eats anything couldn't eat it!
The pool water was freezing and there wasn't enough sun beds for us and when asked it took them ages to get us some! One night we got into bed and I could hear a gecko on top of our bed we called the front desk and 4men with a metal pole arrived but said they couldn't see anything and it was gone once left we could hear it again but didn't bother calling as they didn't do anything 1st time! This was our last night and I have to say I was never so glad to be changing hotel!
We did have a lovely couples massage it was very relaxing!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 27 January 2013

We booked a duplex villa for our family of 2 Adults and 2 teens but upon arrival were provided with two pool villas for the same price. This resort is somewhat out of central Ubud but this can be a good thing if you wish to retreat to somewhere serene and rural at the end of a busy day of sightseeing. The shuttle bus is handy and we went into Ubud at 10.00 and were picked up at 2.30pm. This enabled us to spend some time walking, shopping and a leisurely lunch. After getting back to the resort we were able to swim and relax in the afternoon before making plans for the evening. One evening we caught the 5.00pm shuttle, had dinner and returned on the 8.30 shuttle.

The staff at the resort were lovely and friendly. They were attentive and warm, willing to talk and converse. The rooms we had were wonderfully spacious and very private. It was charming to hear the noises of the jungle, crickets, geckos and roosters! The morning view from our villa was glorious with mist and filtered sunlight.
Breakfast was included in the room price and we ate at the restaurant in the evenings on a few evenings. Food was more expensive and had less variety than what was available in Ubud.

We took a day sightseeing excursion with a driver organised through the resort. He also then took us to Kuta for the day and then delivered us to the airport on our day of departure. He was excellent, polite , professional and knowledgeable. His name was 'Bobby'.

Payogan is not for everybody and it depends on what you want, but if a quiet and a laid back atmosphere is what you want then this is the resort for you.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank OzfamilyPerthHills
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 16 January 2013

We stayed in the infinity pool with valley views and it was delightful. The view is outstanding and our own plunge pool was perfect. We spent a lot of time relaxing and we felt very much in paradise. Here's where it ends though. The food was not good. Breakfast was hardly edible being eggs Benedict on bread with a slice of cheap ham and overlooked eggs. At a hotel with these prices that was shameful.
The service here is so friendly and the staff want to oblige but their smiles are not enough when they forgot to pick us up at the airport and then did not pick us up from town in the shuttle two days later. No attempt to make amends, just a shrug of the shoulder.
So they need to ramp up the follow through on their friendly smiles. The ambience is just not enough.

Room Tip: Go for the valley view. Worth the extra.