“Take me back.......”

Ranked #89 of 195 Hotels in Ubud
Mullumbimby, Australia
“Take me back.......”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2010

Don't quite know where to start....have only been back a few days and I feel a bit sad . I stayed at Payogan for 10 days (12th-21st of October) and I had the most indescribably wonderful time ! Now that I have said 'indescribable' I shall proceed to describe it.... I arrived there with my wife Sharon and were welcomed with so many smiles by the staff and they took us down to our Room in a golf cart - How nice is that ! Our Room - 105 - was just drop dead gorgeous....right down to the little geckos that lived in the high ceiling . The view down the valley over our beautiful swimming pool was a 'Meditation in Green' . The river and the jungle . It wasn't long till I was floating around looking up at the stars ! It is easy to rattle on at length about this Oasis of Calm ....the engaging bright friendly staff....the easy way everything happened ...the long leisurely breakfast - I would get up early to amble down there to feel the lovely welcome and thank God that we were able to be part of something so beautiful and also have a delicious Omolette with Smoked salmon and then maybe some Bakmi Goreng 'cause I was always Laparrrrrrr !
The grounds were well kept...the ground staff - cheerful and engaging.....the main pool....like the south china sea . I believe that if you can't have a good time here you must be blind deaf and dumb . ....and look I am no naive traveller - I have been around somewhat I have been hustled and disgruntled on trips here there and everywhere BUT this place was HEAVEN Sharon and I were all choked up when we had to go . All Hail Payogan !!!!
ps I would like to thank the staff who made our time there memorable ... but the Balinese are such wonderful people ...They love to laugh and so do I - We had a BALL

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kingspoon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2010

An absolute dream of a holiday place where you can relax in a beautiful environment of wonderful gardens and scenery. On arrival we were met by the Manager who welcomed us and ensured that we were looked after by the very attentive staff. Our Villa was very private with an infinity pool dropping away into the valley and river. The staff couldn't do enough for us and all knew our names after the first day. Only ten minutes by car from Ubud with its market and shops.
Don't go here if you want the night club life - this is heaven

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2010

The hotel is overpriced and badly serviced. It is too far from Ubud and any everything else with a shuttle bus every two hours! (Be careful to book it in advance). The last shuttle from UBUD is at 8pm, so make sure to have your dinner before returning to your abode the restaurant in the hotel is disgusting and well, you guessed it, grossly overpriced. You have nowhere else to go. We have been coming to Bali every year for the last 15 years, but the breakfast in Payogan was the worst meal we had ever had in Bali. It would not be offered anywhere else where the tourists had a choice, but you are locked in Payogan and cannot walk anywhere. The local management tried their best, but the owners clearly not interested in making your Bali visit pleasurable. Scorpions in the room, anyone?

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Jill041
Perth, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2010

Our room was a pool villa overlooking the valley and was nice & quiet, just what we wanted. This Resort is located in paradise. Our room was large however we had no hot water in our shower and it took several days for this to be rectified. Various lights around our room didn't swtich on, we asked several times for this to be fixed and it wasn't fixed. The light in our private pool got fixed on the second last day we were there (around day 7).

We had a special offer where the mini bar was free and unlimited and they attempted to charge us for it (even though we only took a couple of drinks). One of our robes was taken and never replaced (we had to walk up to the reception area and collect one oursevles in the end). We had an offer where we got a free massage during our stay and we never received it and when we brought it up it still wasn't honoured. SOme other guests had the same issue.

The shuttle service to town was at specific times and if you wanted to go to town outside of these times the charge was 50,000.00 RP. The food and drinks were very over priced compared to town. I wouldn't stay there again, we paid a lot of money for an expensive room with the pool pverlooking the valley and our verandah overlooked the valley, our pool was fenced in on the other side of the villa. The staff were friendly, and the food was nice (not as nice as the places we ate in town). Sometimes the hot breakfast wasn't cooked all the way through.

I think the location is perfect for relaxing if you don't mind 1 star service and maintenance.

Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Paris
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2010

Payogan resort must be experienced as a very exotic location
A bit far from downtown (which is crowded)
Inside a "junglish" vegetal environnement, incredible facilities.
Peaceful (maybe too peacefull for some)
Breathtaking wiew on countryside, Ubud spirit guaranteed.
Giant pool, friendly staff. Skip dinner, expansive and not for hungry individuals.
Breakfast a bit poor, but side orders included
Don't fear to feel lonely, this spot out is of time
You love it or hate it

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2010

After much deliberating, I decided on the Payogan hotel simply because everyone kept saying how absolutely beautiful it was! I wanted value, beauty and a private pool ~ so I ignored the bad reviews I had read and instead focused on the fact the hotel was being taken over by a new owner...they would certainly improve the place, right?
Well I am so glad we did. WE LOVED the Payogan...it is absolutely breathtaking ~ you are right in the middle of the jungle, in a luxurious hotel with your own POOL!
I do admit they have a slight problem with caterpillars while we were there, but we were moved and all the staff members kept checking with us to see that we were happy!
And let's start with the staff - they were lovely. VERY sweet, accommodating and friendly from the moment we arrived. EACH and every person. Whatever you read about bad staff, they are incorrect.
We had everything we needed, complimentary breakfast, complimentary shuttle that goes to UBUD every 2 hours with pickup every 2 hours....that worked out well for us. If you do miss it, it's only about $5 anyway...so what's the big deal people???
You're on vacation!
The spa (although pricey compared to town...) was absolutely the BEST massage I've ever had, with the most amazing view EVER! I have had them all over the world, and this was IT!!
The main Pool is spectacular.....absolutely breathtaking views. We never ate there, as there are so many choices in town that are fabulous...Go to see the dances there they are amazing!
We went white water rafting, (AWEsome!) and to the Monkey Forest and Elephant Park.
All of which we definitely recommend!
I would stay here again, we had a lovely time (stayed 5 nights) after being in Jimbaran.
You will never forget it, and it definitely beats any hotels in Ubud -
LOVE you Payogan! We will be back - :)

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2010

Payogan has all the potentials to become a great resort. But pity bout the service and maintenance of the resort. The best thing of the resort is the view. Furnishing is ok as they have recently refurbished the villa after naming it d'boutique payogan. The have an LCDs tv in the room now. Cleanliness is acceptable as well. Breakfast is not fantastic but sufficient. As I'm celebrating my birthday there on my actual day, no upgrade given, no cakes and not even a wishes until I told them it's my birthday. Emailed them I prefer a villa with good view and infinity pool, but I got the worst of all villas. Upon checking in to my room, 201, there's 3 staff inside the garden plucking coconut. I personally open the front door so I guess there's another entrance to the room. No infinity pool, views blocked by trees and no privacy as staffs can go in and out. Means no skinny dip here.

Then requested for another villa as per my request, but was told they were fully booked.
Then they gave me another villa near my friend's 209. I got 211.

Remember this.
STAY OUT OF 209 & 211 AT ALL COST!
This is where our nightmare stay begins. There's a big tree in between these 2 villa, fully INFESTED with Caterpillars!!! Hundreds of them. And hundreds hang down mid air from the tree dropping all over the villas ground and pool. It was like raining of slimy caterpillars!! All over the floors. And there's only 1 way to the villa and will have to walk pass this horrendous walk way. We wasn't aware of these as the caterpillars only comes out in the evening. So when we return from ubud town, we got the shocked of our life! The staff just gave us umbrella and ask us to walk over the hundreds of falling caterpillars. And the pool can't be use as it's infested with falling caterpillars even till the next the morning. And hundreds of birds will be seen flying around the trees in the morning. I had my worst birthday fright all thanks to Payogan Villa. Certainly not for the faint hearted.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends