“Overrated”

Ranked #21 of 136 things to do in Ubud
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This art museum offers many workshops suitable for children; reserve one day in advance.
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

I'm fairly interested in art and always try to visit local art museums whenever I'm traveling. However, I found this museum a bit boring. I felt like I was seeing the same painting over and over again and the whole thing took me under 20 minutes to get through. To be fair, I have no knowledge of Balinese art. Still, I have no idea why this place was so highly recommended in all the guide books. The service was quite good though.

2  Thank Lindis Å

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Such lovely grounds enhance any other experience you might want to pursue here. I visited on a week day a little before noon and purchased a combined ticket which included lunch.

That was a good value as well as a relaxing way to dine simply. Plus it broke up the walking. Saw someone else was taking dance lessons.

The exhibits themselves were quite good, but the museum and grounds were more than that. For example, a man was playing bamboo gamelan that you could hear as you walked around.

"Very Ubud" would probably be a fair statement. This place was much to my liking.

1  Thank ZhongguoKM
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Today i made the Wood carving Workshop at the Museum for 450000 Rupiah! It Run from 10 to 5 o'clock, including Snack, Drink and a delicous lunch. The Money was spent well Though. I can definitely recommend the Workshop. It was a Lot of Fun and nice creative work with a good teacher ständig by your side.

1  Thank Kitty S
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Here you go to the history making of UBUD culture. Old painting by old balinese masters depicting the life style of ubudians and the religious hirory of bali. You find pictures of furst europianns who created part of the recent culture of ubud by mixing with, teaching art and loving people of ubud.

1  Thank Abdullah A
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Really cool museum for a quick 1-2 hour view. That's about my limit for a museum, anyway.

While billed as modern art, its not what I would normally think of, i.e., at no point did I think to myself "gee, I could do that myself". Its kind of modern interpretations of Balinese traditional art, with a standout for me Ida Bagus Made. The richness of the colors wasn't something you commonly see...the paint used in many paintings is (apparently) a concotion of earth, bone, and other ingredients.

The grounds were relatively compact, and beautiful. Any landscape architects in particular would really appreciate them.

Only suggestion would be to spruce up the gift should....poss. a big revenue source for museum, as I was looking to take a moment of the art for our own home.

1  Thank Steve R