Very belatedly, I'm posting a long overdue review of our visit to Tegal Sari in September 2010. So many good things have already been said about this wonderful place. I'll simply endorse them all, while adding a few additional comments:
1. My wife and I stayed at three other places in Bali and loved them all. But simply in terms of value, Tegal Sari was the best. The others all cost twice as much or more. TS delivered a stay just as nice. And the view from our balcony overlooking the rice fields was priceless.
2. Speaking of which, we highly recommend the duplex unit if you can get it. Not only due you have the wonderful (sunset) view over the rice field, but you also get sunrise over the rice field on the other side. In other words, a wonderful two-way view.
3. I've read great things about the new villas on the property. I didn't get a chance to look inside them, but passing by them from the outside they look very nice. Still, if price and/or views are a priority, I'd recommend the duplex since it is less expensive and (unlike the villas) looks our on the nicer of the two rice fields.
4. In preparing for this trip, I've read different things about how far TS is from the Monkey Forest, the center of town, etc. It's been several months so my recollection isn't precise. But still, I'd say both were easily walkable for us--perhaps 15 minutes to the Monkey Forest and 25 to the center of town??? And you can get a taxi to take you to or fro if necessary (though be advised that sometimes walking can almost be faster when traffic is bad).
5. In fact, I'd say the location of TS is great in terms of having the rice field views but still being walking distance to many parts of Ubud.
6. As for Ubud itself...yes, it's touristy and yes, parts are crowded. But it still has lots of charm and lots of spots where you can easily get off the beaten track five minutes from the main road. In other words, it's well worth a visit.
7. The staff of TS are wonderful. Both friendly and efficient. And in fact, they went above and beyond the call of duty one day when I needed some attention for a relatively minor medical problem that I wanted treated sooner rather than later (to make that long story short). Even though it was pretty early in the morning, they promptly called a nearby medical clinic (actually, walking distance from TS) and arranged a ride over there. My point is that there service and hospitality go beyond mundane matters.
8. One very small quibble is that the internet access is from a computer in the small library above the reception area and you have to sit on the floor in a (for me) slightly uncomfortable way to use it. Maybe an actual chair and table would be better?
Still, take that last point as just the quibble it is. This is a wonderful place, and one of the best values in Bali.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U. and Evoline ltd so you can book your Tegal Sari reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tegal Sari Hotel Ubud
- Tegal Sari Ubud, Bali