“It's Ok”
Review of Tegal Sari

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ubud
Tegal Sari
Ranked #26 of 196 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 29 March 2011

Tegal Sari! Wow look at the amazing reviews. Booked three nights in a downstairs super deluxe. Room: definally large enough with a nice corner bath. Nothing excepetional however not paying exceptional prices. The room contained a bar fridge full of extreamly cheap products which was great. The resturant is fairly average with few people in it the nights we decided to eat.
Pool: not so good. Small and very shaded yet did have a pool bar which doesn't actually operate. Fairly miserable because of the mosuqutoes.
Construction work was going on which they promised me there would be no noise. Cheap promise made with plently of drills and hammers all day.
What you need to no that it's a budget hotel which it doesn't really lie about but the previous reviews indicate more. You can get much better out there so I would not
recomend going through the tedious
booking requirements.

• Stayed: February 2011
1  Thank Nibbles021
Write a ReviewReviews (1,622)

Reviewed 26 March 2011

Probably the best hotel I had so far.
Checked for the room, location, ambience, cleanliness, service, food.. great great great! And the price is nothing if you compare with all this hotel offers.
Very cheap!
And you may need to cross your fingers to book this hotel.
They always fully booked even for years ahead.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 March 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights and thought it was good value for money. The staff are excellent, very accommodating and friendly. We stayed in the garden deluxe room which I thought was quite nice - things I didn't like though were that the bathroom had two windows near the shower with a mozzie net over it which is fine, except they badly need fixing as we saw insects and a few geckos come in via there. Also at the other end of the bathroom there is two small windows with a stone design in them, again they have openings and so mozzies etc can quite easily get in (all it needs it a mozzie net covering them). The bathroom was fine - good hot water and clean (except for the insects that kept getting in).
Beds were comfy and the air con worked well, although did rattle quite a lot so we had to turn it off at night. We didn't have a view of anything, so if you want to overlook the rice paddies ask for a different room - but I didn't mind, I liked that we had a bit of a garden at the front of our room and we were right opposite reception.
Also worth mentioning is that they operate a 24 hour shuttle bus in/out of Ubud which I thought was great.
The food is ok here but seemed to be very slow - waited 45 minutes for our breakfast most mornings and they weren't that busy - think they don't have enough people in the kitchen to help make the drinks and food.
Overall I would stay here again which is mainly down to the excellent staff!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 March 2011

I haven't stayed at Tegal Sari yet, and am holding out hope for an excellent experience as so many have reported on, but I have to concur with some of the other reports about the dodgy booking practices. I spent several days emailing and waiting for responses (always took at least two days). They knew I was trying to fill 5 night, but was only able to get 3 reserved (and was so interested in staying there that I agreed to change rooms every night since that's all they had available). I requested an email confirming they had received my payment authorization, but still haven't received that.

A couple of days after sending payment for the three days, they emailed to say another night had opened up and asked if I wanted it. I responded IMMEDIATELY and said I would take it and was prepared to send the payment authorization as soon as I got the final rate total. After five hours of waiting and not receiving the rate, I finally just calculated a little high and sent a payment authorization. The next day I got an email saying "sorry, that room has already been reserved."

Very frustrating. Obviously they knew I was extremely interested in filling my remaining nights, and knew they'd get the money, so why offer it to someone else at the same time? Any why not give me the courtesy of letting me know before I went to the trouble of sending payment? This does not seem in keeping with the Bali hospitality I've heard so much about.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank AKDiver
Reviewed 22 March 2011

We stayed at TS last October. I was there with the bf, together with my sister and her husband and their toddler. The bf and I stayed at their Deluxe Wooden Room (with a canopy bed), my sister stayed at the Duplex. I like them both, but our room definitely has a more traditional feel and touch about it, while the Duplex is more modern. For the price, TS is definitely an excellent choice.

Welcome drink was so yummy and refreshing, and everybody was so friendly and helpful. You would wake up to a sunrise up above rice padi fields - so peaceful and tranquil! The size of the room is huge, with deposit box in the room. The highlight of the room is probably the bathroom! Love the jacuzzi tub overlooking the rice fields! They even have an extra single size bed on the patio - for you to lay down as you listen to the birds chirping and looking at the freen padi fields. Aah. I wish I was there now!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 March 2011

Very belatedly, I'm posting a long overdue review of our visit to Tegal Sari in September 2010. So many good things have already been said about this wonderful place. I'll simply endorse them all, while adding a few additional comments:

1. My wife and I stayed at three other places in Bali and loved them all. But simply in terms of value, Tegal Sari was the best. The others all cost twice as much or more. TS delivered a stay just as nice. And the view from our balcony overlooking the rice fields was priceless.
2. Speaking of which, we highly recommend the duplex unit if you can get it. Not only due you have the wonderful (sunset) view over the rice field, but you also get sunrise over the rice field on the other side. In other words, a wonderful two-way view.
3. I've read great things about the new villas on the property. I didn't get a chance to look inside them, but passing by them from the outside they look very nice. Still, if price and/or views are a priority, I'd recommend the duplex since it is less expensive and (unlike the villas) looks our on the nicer of the two rice fields.
4. In preparing for this trip, I've read different things about how far TS is from the Monkey Forest, the center of town, etc. It's been several months so my recollection isn't precise. But still, I'd say both were easily walkable for us--perhaps 15 minutes to the Monkey Forest and 25 to the center of town??? And you can get a taxi to take you to or fro if necessary (though be advised that sometimes walking can almost be faster when traffic is bad).
5. In fact, I'd say the location of TS is great in terms of having the rice field views but still being walking distance to many parts of Ubud.
6. As for Ubud itself...yes, it's touristy and yes, parts are crowded. But it still has lots of charm and lots of spots where you can easily get off the beaten track five minutes from the main road. In other words, it's well worth a visit.
7. The staff of TS are wonderful. Both friendly and efficient. And in fact, they went above and beyond the call of duty one day when I needed some attention for a relatively minor medical problem that I wanted treated sooner rather than later (to make that long story short). Even though it was pretty early in the morning, they promptly called a nearby medical clinic (actually, walking distance from TS) and arranged a ride over there. My point is that there service and hospitality go beyond mundane matters.
8. One very small quibble is that the internet access is from a computer in the small library above the reception area and you have to sit on the floor in a (for me) slightly uncomfortable way to use it. Maybe an actual chair and table would be better?

Still, take that last point as just the quibble it is. This is a wonderful place, and one of the best values in Bali.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 March 2011

We spent ten nights in the Tegal Sari, including Nyepi Day, and the experience was great.
During our time there we stayed in three different rooms, since I booked a bit late- a year in advance is not excessive, as it's fantastically busy- and so we saw a bit of what the place has to offer.
We started off with the airport pickup, which was very prompt and cost about the same as a taxi, and sat back in airconditioned comfort for the ride back to Ubud. Since we arrived before the usual checkin time, they kept our cases while we had lunch at their little restaurant.
Our first stop was the Garden Room, one of the deluxe rooms, and it was very nice We were there for 4 nights, and the only thing I didn't like was that it's a split-level room. It's very attractive and beautifully appointed: I just don't like steps in the bedroom!
After that we spent one night in a super deluxe room with ricefield views.Again, a tastefully appointed and well-serviced room, with a lovely outlook.
For our last five nights we were in a superior room- this is the cheapest option- and it was great! There were no steps to navigate, and the views were lovely.
Next time, if I can't have the Wooden Room, I'll go for the superior.
The service is excellent. The rooms have safes, which is handy, and we had breakfast at the hotel every day. They exchange money at a very good rate, without any of the risks you take of being swindled at the street money-changers. The laundry service is very good and fast (same day), and we missed it after we left.
The rooms and bathrooms are clean, the courtesy car service is very good, and security is unobtrusive but seems effective.
I would have liked to be able to make more use of the facilities and services offered by the Tegal Sari, but since we had prebooked a driver, we weren't able to avail ourselves of many of their offers.
Their staff are delightful, very helpful and nice people.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple