“Best service, best views, best value”
Review of Tegal Sari

Tegal Sari
Ranked #29 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 2 May 2011

I was in Ubud on April and stayed a couple of nights in this hotel. The hotel is cleverly designed so all the rooms have rice field views.
The hotel is clean enough and the service is impecable. They also have a suttle bus to the anywhere and they offer to pick you up. So it's almost like you don't really have to worry about anything. The location is great because it is not quite in the centre, so there are no roosters or noisy merchants to wake you up. Also a plus for those who want to do Yoga is that it's very close to the Yoga Barn.
As there are only 21 rooms you need to book well in advance.
The entrance of the hotel is very prety, their swimming pool beautiful. It's really good value for money.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Yainus
There are newer reviews for Tegal Sari

Reviewed 28 April 2011

From the moment we stepped onto the walk bridge over the pond I knew this place was going to be restful. Our room was a Super Deluxe, upstairs with a balcony overlooking the greenest of rice fields. Our travels friends had the Duplex luxury room next door with an amazing large spa, housed in a glass walled room surrounded by garden...very special. The staff made this place: attentive and eager to please. Housekeeping was discreet and our rooms were immaculate with the cleanest floor tiles I have ever experienced. You know they are squeaky clean when you dust off your feet before getting into bed and find your feet are dust free and clean ! Atmosphere, attitude and attention to detail were faultless. Pool area was a little soulless, and could do with some improvement, perhaps using the pool bar for cocktails would be something to consider. We were disappointed with breakfast in the dinning area. We had pre-ordered for 7.30am but our food was cold and tea was luke warm. Perhaps they had been eager to be on time, and cooked it all too early. Ubud is certainly worth visiting, especially for the choices of restaurants. Can recommend Pundi Pundi, and Siam Sally....both clean and comfortable with a great choice of menu. Did the Rafting, booked across the road from Tegal Sari and it was amazing......yes the300 steps up and down to the river were a killer, but the 10k ride down the rapids made up for that experience. Our accommodation was great value, bed was very comfortable and linen clean and crisp. Towels changed as required, plus tea and coffee making supplied which wasn't in the case in some of the places we stayed. If I had to describe in one word Tegal Sari I would have to say CALM....the location setting between the rice fields, the clean modern rooms, and the attentive staff all conveyed an atmosphere of relaxation and charm.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 April 2011

Our room was great. It was spacious with an area for the beds and a reception area where the mini bar was and a small, L-shaped sofa to the side. The beds faced glass doors that opened to the porch, the doors could be covered with curtains, but if not, had a good view of rice fields, evoking a peaceful ambience. The bathroom was also spacious, with separate areas for the toilet, shower and a fairly large tub next to windows, also giving a view of the rice field. The beds had thick, comfortable mattresses and comforters and two pillows per person, making sleep incredibly easy to come by. The rooms were clean and looked new. Didn't see any insects, rotting wood, water stains or any signs of age or neglect. My only issue with the room was that there was only one mirror in the bathroom and as I was traveling with two other ladies it was time consuming to share just that one mirror. I recommend they add one more, perhaps a full-length one in the room.

The room we got was a deluxe room on the first floor. It was the last on the row and farthest from the reception desk, but the hotel more than made up for it by providing an exit/entrance point near our room and conveniently close to the Monkey Forest. Also, their shuttle service drops us off at this entrance, saving us the long walk from the main entrance.

Their service was excellent! The entire staff were absolutely hospitable and generous with their time and service. Whenever we needed to be dropped off or picked up, the shuttle never took more than 5 minutes to get to us. Whenever we needed to have trips arranged, the staff went out of their way to procure slots or tickets. Pak Nyoman in particular as well as all their front desk personnel and drivers were so accommodating and friendly. I had absolutely no complaints about service. We felt pampered and well taken care of. All our requests no matter how urgent were taken care of with appropriate compromise.

The only thing I think they can improve on in terms of service is their booking procedure. They don't have the convenience of providing an online booking system. To book, I had to go through several exchanges of e-mails that were not always on time and I was worried that between the time I sent a request and the time that they replied, I had lost a slot to someone else. They also require payment immediately upon booking, so ready your credit card, you'll pay for your rooms before you use them, as was my case even though I booked almost 6 months in advance.

Apart from that, for what I paid I felt like I was treated like a queen. I enjoyed every minute of my stay in Ubud because of the wonderful people in Tegal Sari. Highly recommended hotel!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank cheertator08
Reviewed 29 March 2011

Tegal Sari! Wow look at the amazing reviews. Booked three nights in a downstairs super deluxe. Room: definally large enough with a nice corner bath. Nothing excepetional however not paying exceptional prices. The room contained a bar fridge full of extreamly cheap products which was great. The resturant is fairly average with few people in it the nights we decided to eat.
Pool: not so good. Small and very shaded yet did have a pool bar which doesn't actually operate. Fairly miserable because of the mosuqutoes.
Construction work was going on which they promised me there would be no noise. Cheap promise made with plently of drills and hammers all day.
What you need to no that it's a budget hotel which it doesn't really lie about but the previous reviews indicate more. You can get much better out there so I would not
recomend going through the tedious
booking requirements.

• Stayed: February 2011
1  Thank Nibbles021
Reviewed 26 March 2011

Probably the best hotel I had so far.
Checked for the room, location, ambience, cleanliness, service, food.. great great great! And the price is nothing if you compare with all this hotel offers.
Very cheap!
And you may need to cross your fingers to book this hotel.
They always fully booked even for years ahead.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 March 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights and thought it was good value for money. The staff are excellent, very accommodating and friendly. We stayed in the garden deluxe room which I thought was quite nice - things I didn't like though were that the bathroom had two windows near the shower with a mozzie net over it which is fine, except they badly need fixing as we saw insects and a few geckos come in via there. Also at the other end of the bathroom there is two small windows with a stone design in them, again they have openings and so mozzies etc can quite easily get in (all it needs it a mozzie net covering them). The bathroom was fine - good hot water and clean (except for the insects that kept getting in).
Beds were comfy and the air con worked well, although did rattle quite a lot so we had to turn it off at night. We didn't have a view of anything, so if you want to overlook the rice paddies ask for a different room - but I didn't mind, I liked that we had a bit of a garden at the front of our room and we were right opposite reception.
Also worth mentioning is that they operate a 24 hour shuttle bus in/out of Ubud which I thought was great.
The food is ok here but seemed to be very slow - waited 45 minutes for our breakfast most mornings and they weren't that busy - think they don't have enough people in the kitchen to help make the drinks and food.
Overall I would stay here again which is mainly down to the excellent staff!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 March 2011

I haven't stayed at Tegal Sari yet, and am holding out hope for an excellent experience as so many have reported on, but I have to concur with some of the other reports about the dodgy booking practices. I spent several days emailing and waiting for responses (always took at least two days). They knew I was trying to fill 5 night, but was only able to get 3 reserved (and was so interested in staying there that I agreed to change rooms every night since that's all they had available). I requested an email confirming they had received my payment authorization, but still haven't received that.

A couple of days after sending payment for the three days, they emailed to say another night had opened up and asked if I wanted it. I responded IMMEDIATELY and said I would take it and was prepared to send the payment authorization as soon as I got the final rate total. After five hours of waiting and not receiving the rate, I finally just calculated a little high and sent a payment authorization. The next day I got an email saying "sorry, that room has already been reserved."

Very frustrating. Obviously they knew I was extremely interested in filling my remaining nights, and knew they'd get the money, so why offer it to someone else at the same time? Any why not give me the courtesy of letting me know before I went to the trouble of sending payment? This does not seem in keeping with the Bali hospitality I've heard so much about.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo