“Tegal Sari - Paradise Found Again!”
Review of Tegal Sari

Tegal Sari
Ranked #33 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Perth, Western Australia
“Tegal Sari - Paradise Found Again!”
Reviewed 17 May 2011

Spent 1 week at Tegal Sari with sister from 7/5 - 14/5. This is the third time I have stayed here (first for my sister) and I want to rave about them again. Met by the lovely smiling face of Ketut at airport. My brother-in-law joined us in car (he was planning on staying in a homestay in Ubud and heading to Gilli Islands for diving). Even though we arrived at hotel a couple of hours before check in we were taken to our spotless and beautifully cool room (super deluxe no 23). Staff always friendly and helpful - can't do enough for you. Room view awesome, thoroughly enjoyed waking at 6am (most days) and watching all the wildlife in the rice paddies! Even had a monkey visit us for a drink of water while we were swimming in the pool. Although this hotel was fully booked you don't see all the guests around - every time we went for a swim either the pool was empty or one or two guests there. As far as I'm concerted Tegal Sari is a paradise (that I have been lucky enough to enjoy 3 times). When we were due to leave - my brother-in-law, who was due to stay another week - wasn't well, so he came to the airport to see if he could get on same flight. Our driver Ketut (again) kindly went to the Air Asia counter at the airport and helped my brother-in-law change flights - that's what I call true service.

Heading back there again in August with husband and kids - this time we are staying in the beautiful villas - can't wait!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Andrea A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 17 May 2011

i just got back from a 10 day trip to bali, and I spent 4 days in tegal sari! 2 nights in the wooden room, and then 2 nights in the super deluxe. well, the wooden room was a little rustic fr me as there were plenty of critters and the aircon didnt seem to work too well. it was nice though, just that i really preferred the super deluxe room! i had a wonderful view of the rice paddy fields from the bed, and it was really heavenly. i cant recommend it enough.

the staff were all fantastic, esp Nyoman the driver and this waiter (sorry i cant remb his name!!) who all trekked with us to Mount Batur! it was really funny, me and my boyfriend had this entire entourage climbing with us including a cook, porter, driver, guide etc. they were really really fantastic and encouraging, cooking us a lovely breakfast at the top. pls book the trip with them, they really provide top notch service!

another thing, they really chauffeured us everywhere! all we had to do was call them. the hotel food and the massage which they offered was a little expensive, but really convenient fr lazy days in bed. ahh good times!!

i was so sad to leave fr kuta and it was a big shock compared to the peaceful haven that tegal sari provided. overall, FAB EXPERIENCE!!

Room Tip: super deluxe room is the way to go!
Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 May 2011

The price for a room there is slighly higher than other local inn there but as I stayed there it is really a nice place if you rented the super deluxe room! Nice room & view.
Stayed one nice in the standard room then another nite in the super deluxe room.
Pool is nice. Massage is gud as well. Breakfast is not included however.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank NoranizaZ
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 2 May 2011

I was in Ubud on April and stayed a couple of nights in this hotel. The hotel is cleverly designed so all the rooms have rice field views.
The hotel is clean enough and the service is impecable. They also have a suttle bus to the anywhere and they offer to pick you up. So it's almost like you don't really have to worry about anything. The location is great because it is not quite in the centre, so there are no roosters or noisy merchants to wake you up. Also a plus for those who want to do Yoga is that it's very close to the Yoga Barn.
As there are only 21 rooms you need to book well in advance.
The entrance of the hotel is very prety, their swimming pool beautiful. It's really good value for money.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Yainus
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 28 April 2011

From the moment we stepped onto the walk bridge over the pond I knew this place was going to be restful. Our room was a Super Deluxe, upstairs with a balcony overlooking the greenest of rice fields. Our travels friends had the Duplex luxury room next door with an amazing large spa, housed in a glass walled room surrounded by garden...very special. The staff made this place: attentive and eager to please. Housekeeping was discreet and our rooms were immaculate with the cleanest floor tiles I have ever experienced. You know they are squeaky clean when you dust off your feet before getting into bed and find your feet are dust free and clean ! Atmosphere, attitude and attention to detail were faultless. Pool area was a little soulless, and could do with some improvement, perhaps using the pool bar for cocktails would be something to consider. We were disappointed with breakfast in the dinning area. We had pre-ordered for 7.30am but our food was cold and tea was luke warm. Perhaps they had been eager to be on time, and cooked it all too early. Ubud is certainly worth visiting, especially for the choices of restaurants. Can recommend Pundi Pundi, and Siam Sally....both clean and comfortable with a great choice of menu. Did the Rafting, booked across the road from Tegal Sari and it was amazing......yes the300 steps up and down to the river were a killer, but the 10k ride down the rapids made up for that experience. Our accommodation was great value, bed was very comfortable and linen clean and crisp. Towels changed as required, plus tea and coffee making supplied which wasn't in the case in some of the places we stayed. If I had to describe in one word Tegal Sari I would have to say CALM....the location setting between the rice fields, the clean modern rooms, and the attentive staff all conveyed an atmosphere of relaxation and charm.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 24 April 2011

Our room was great. It was spacious with an area for the beds and a reception area where the mini bar was and a small, L-shaped sofa to the side. The beds faced glass doors that opened to the porch, the doors could be covered with curtains, but if not, had a good view of rice fields, evoking a peaceful ambience. The bathroom was also spacious, with separate areas for the toilet, shower and a fairly large tub next to windows, also giving a view of the rice field. The beds had thick, comfortable mattresses and comforters and two pillows per person, making sleep incredibly easy to come by. The rooms were clean and looked new. Didn't see any insects, rotting wood, water stains or any signs of age or neglect. My only issue with the room was that there was only one mirror in the bathroom and as I was traveling with two other ladies it was time consuming to share just that one mirror. I recommend they add one more, perhaps a full-length one in the room.

The room we got was a deluxe room on the first floor. It was the last on the row and farthest from the reception desk, but the hotel more than made up for it by providing an exit/entrance point near our room and conveniently close to the Monkey Forest. Also, their shuttle service drops us off at this entrance, saving us the long walk from the main entrance.

Their service was excellent! The entire staff were absolutely hospitable and generous with their time and service. Whenever we needed to be dropped off or picked up, the shuttle never took more than 5 minutes to get to us. Whenever we needed to have trips arranged, the staff went out of their way to procure slots or tickets. Pak Nyoman in particular as well as all their front desk personnel and drivers were so accommodating and friendly. I had absolutely no complaints about service. We felt pampered and well taken care of. All our requests no matter how urgent were taken care of with appropriate compromise.

The only thing I think they can improve on in terms of service is their booking procedure. They don't have the convenience of providing an online booking system. To book, I had to go through several exchanges of e-mails that were not always on time and I was worried that between the time I sent a request and the time that they replied, I had lost a slot to someone else. They also require payment immediately upon booking, so ready your credit card, you'll pay for your rooms before you use them, as was my case even though I booked almost 6 months in advance.

Apart from that, for what I paid I felt like I was treated like a queen. I enjoyed every minute of my stay in Ubud because of the wonderful people in Tegal Sari. Highly recommended hotel!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank cheertator08
Reviewed 29 March 2011

Tegal Sari! Wow look at the amazing reviews. Booked three nights in a downstairs super deluxe. Room: definally large enough with a nice corner bath. Nothing excepetional however not paying exceptional prices. The room contained a bar fridge full of extreamly cheap products which was great. The resturant is fairly average with few people in it the nights we decided to eat.
Pool: not so good. Small and very shaded yet did have a pool bar which doesn't actually operate. Fairly miserable because of the mosuqutoes.
Construction work was going on which they promised me there would be no noise. Cheap promise made with plently of drills and hammers all day.
What you need to no that it's a budget hotel which it doesn't really lie about but the previous reviews indicate more. You can get much better out there so I would not
recomend going through the tedious
booking requirements.