“Perfect accommodations and the friendliest staff, all in a beautiful setting just minutes from Ubud's busy streets.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Tegal Sari

Tegal Sari
Ranked #32 of 195 Hotels in Ubud
portland, OR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2011

Wow, I am sitting here now lounging by the private pool in Villa Sesapi 25. We have ordered breakfast to our room (no extra charge). It's all just perfect! The villa is Japenese modern design and just incredible. Free water (dispenser), tea and coffee and a little kitchen, a lovely living room, two bathrooms.

The staff has been so friendly, and we have used the free drop off service several times, although the walk is not long to city center. We just walk home.

We have 2 adults/2 kids and had a second villa, number 26, above us for the first two nights of our stay. It had two twin beds (plus the window bed) and a great view of the rice paddies. It also had a balcony where you could sit and relax.

For our remaining nights, that room was taken so the two kids (aged 10 & 11) moved to our room. One slept in a rollaway bed, twin, while the other slept in the window bed. There is still plenty of room, you could even add another kid and rollaway to sleep in the living room if you needed to. The place is very family friendly!

When you go out the hotel's back entrance, you are only steps from the monkey forest. After much trepidation, we decided to try it. The grounds were so beautiful, and the monkeys were preoccupied enough with people ignoring the rules, so they didn't bother us.

Also, I saw some questions about the construction, so I'll comment on that. Yes, there is construction, but this is nothing like construction in the states. There are 4-5 women who walk back and forth quiety carrying dirt or other supplies to the construction site (on their heads). There are a bunch of workers but no machinery, no music, no loud voices. They are quiety working their butts off, hand sanding, painting, etc. I do occasionally hear a hammer, but the birds are louder. So, please, do not worry about the construction!

This hotel is simply exceptional, and I highly recommend it!

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank retainer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Newcastle, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2011

We have just arrived home from a wonderful stay at the Tegal Sari. I travelled with my husband and two children and we all thought that it was a great hotel. The staff are fantastic and they ensure that you are well looked after.

We had breakfast served each morning on our balcony and had a great view over the rice fields. The rice had been harvested but we were able to watch the ducks waddle around in the water.

The location of the hotel is great and as already said that staff are five star. The rooms are very clean and well looked after. This place is value for money.

I can't wait to return.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank Batts777
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2011

and were very glad we did as Tegal Sari is a very relaxing stay.
It's a category of hotel that I like to refer to as 'rustic boutique'.
It has nearly everything that one needs in a small hotel and not much that you don't need.

Two years ago we stayed in one of their original Super Deluxe rooms, #12 which overlooked the verdant rice fields. This time we stayed in one of their newer super deluxe rooms #22 which is up on the first floor at the far end of the property.
It still had a similar view but was looking south instead of west.

The newer rooms are larger and nicer with bigger balconies complete with day bed.
My first choice of room (#24) was not available this time and has 270 degree views of the rice fields. I think someone in the past may have enticed monkeys from the adjacent monkey forest over as #24 had monkeys scurrying around almost every morning looking for snacks, so in retrospect our #22 was a good choice.

The staff as ever were brilliant and very friendly and when problems arose, they were right onto it.
Unfortunately there was some construction happening this time, but not too bad and at reasonable hours.
Occasionally we had toilet / hot water / no water at all problems, but was quickly rectified.
Breakfasts, although not inclusive were more than adequate as ever and their TS banana pancakes are still the best I've ever had anywhere.

They now have rear access directly onto Monkey Forest Road which was very handy.
They have some great restaurants within stone's throw of TS which also made our stay easier and more enjoyable.

There were some very minor negatives, but not worth mentioning and certainly not worthy of knocking a pip off the ranking.

This was the best part of our 16 night Bali holiday and was the calm before the storm of activity that was to come in Sanur.

Love Ubud, and love the Tegal Sari.
Hope to come back again one day.

5 Thank skiggy
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2011

Spent one night and two days in Ubud, with stays in Sanur either side. Both my mate and I wished we had spent more time in Ubud. Our experience of Tegal Sari was one of the great things about Ubud.

Ubud suits us better, mainly due to wider variety of travellers you meet there. Sanur is fine for families and couples, but in Ubud everytime we were in a restaurant or cafe we got into interesting conversations with people from all over the world as well as local Balinese people. My mate was in Yoga heaven and was travelling back daily once we returned to Sanur as our base. I went for one of the walks listed in the Lonely Planet which showed how beautiful Bali is.

Tegal Sari is in a good location at the south of the town centre in Ubud. 20-25 mins walk from Ubud Palace and 15 mins from the Monkey Forest Sancturary. Although both my friend and I walk fast so it might be a bit more, especially with the shops, restaurants and cafes in Ubud town centre.

We booked online before leaving London, based on checking Tripadvisor reviews. Booking process was smooth. My only concern was having to submit my credit card details by email, rather than with an online booking form. However the hotel had only 21 rooms and is popular, therefore I agree with the need to provide some confirmation to the hotel, but an online form would feel more secure.

We were lucky to get a twin room with amazing views over the rice fields for only £25 for room only. The room was comfortable and secure. As we had only booked the one night, but were keen to spend lots of time in Ubud, we arrived mid morning. The staff looked after our bags and allowed us to deposit valuables in a safe box, to which we had the key. They did the same for us the next day after we checked out, as we did not leave Ubud until 10pm in the evening. If we had wanted to we would have access to a shower and bathroom after having checked out as well. They even drove us back to Sanur, in a comfortable vehicle at a price cheaper than local taxis.

The rooms at Tegal Sari tend to get booked quickly - It is not surprising why. My friend and I are already looking at coming back to Bali and will definately spend more time in Ubud.

Room Tip: Book early and go for the Superior room!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank LMRM
Penang
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2011

we stayed here after a recommendation from a friend plus got to know about the trip advisor award they got - truly deserving!!
stayed in villa sesapi, got our own private pool, fantastic view, awesome breakfast and great setting!! and the price is unbelievable!! I would stay in this hotel compared to a 5-star chain anytime..

Room Tip: go for the villa!
New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2011

My partner and I were lucky enough to secure x1 night in the Villa Sarang Burung. This was a beautiful, amazing villa, and we loved every minute of our stay. (we only wi sh we could have stayed longer).
The private pool and outdoor bathroom were the highlights for us, but the overall sense of privacy and romance, set in such a beautiful location, could not be faulted. We will be visiting again, as we LOVE Tegal Sari and their excellent staff.
See you soon.

Room Tip: Book in advance as they are ALWAYS busy
1 Thank kiwi1074
Mount Gambier, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2011

We stayed here as a group of friends in three different rooms and all were fantastic. My favourite room (which I stayed in) was the super deluxe overlooking the rice paddies. Friends stayed in the deluxe and the superior and both were lovely. The super deluxe was large, airy and had a gorgeous balcony to sit out and have a glass of wine. Sunset over the rice paddies was gorgeous. The rooms were perfectly clean. The bathroom was large and had a deep bath tub with windows overlooking the rice paddies... great to relax in with a glass of wine!

Room service was fast and the food yummy. The breakfast served in the restaurant was great too. Service by all the staff was fantastic from the lovely man who picked us up from the airport to the waiting and reception staff..

I cannot fault this place in any way. We didn't use the pool, but it looked great. There was some construction going on while we were there, but it was not at a disrespectful time nor was it noisy, and all the guys working on the construction site were friendly when walking by.

I would definitely go back and stay here and it is amazing value for your money!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends