“Quiet place in the middle of the rice fields”
Review of Tegal Sari

Tegal Sari
Ranked #31 of 198 Hotels in Ubud
Brussels, Belgium
“Quiet place in the middle of the rice fields”
Reviewed 9 July 2011

We picked that hotel due to the lot of positive comments on TripAdvisor and weren't disappointed.

The Tegal Sari is not in the center of Ubud but at 15 minutes walking from there. Due to that situation, it's a really quiet place where the only noise you might hear are frogs and birds.

The service of the hotel was really wonderful:
- they can provide you free of charge drop off/pickup service at the shows around Ubud (and suggest you which one to choose)
- they offer tour services at a low price vs local agencies and will provide you a sarong if needed
- the staff is really nice and always smiling (it even sometimes seemed a bit too much)

Our room was clean and quiet, with a nice view on the rice fields (which were unfortunately already harvested). The only disadvantage was the sound made by birds at 6 in the morning, which could wake you up and keep you awake for a few minutes...
The breakfast (not included in the room price) was also nice and could be served in your room without extra charges!

2 Thank mukumi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 29 June 2011

After staying at the Bali Hyatt in Sanur for several days, we decided to spend our last night up north in Ubud at Tegal Sari before heading home the next day as part of our Easter Holidays. It was pretty nice, although I wouldn't exactly call it "5-star" as some call it to be. It's starting to show its age a bit (particularly on the bathroom doors) but in general facilities are still in good condition. We paid for a Tegal Sari transfer from the Hyatt with a nice and talkative driver for the 1 hour journey and when we got there, we were greeted with refreshing lime-flavoured welcome drinks.

Our family of five (3 kids) stayed in one Super Deluxe Room (with 1 double bed, 1 single bed and 1 extra single bed side-by-side) and it was comfortable. The air-conditioner was new and worked well. The swimming pool was quite small but still entertaining for the kids. But Beware, half of the pool is extremely deep (1.8 metres) while the other half is shallow (~0.5 metres) and it was a bit of a shock, even for me, when I jumped into the deep-end unknowingly. There were also pool-side chairs for relaxing and nearby, they had a special massage pavilion with massages for around 100,000 IDR. There's a small open-air library above the reception desk (along with a computer - chargeable) although the books are a bit yellow from the humidity.

Tegal Sari is within a 5 minutes walk from the famous Dirty Duck Diner / Bebek Bengil (but we didn't have that good of an experience there) and the Monkey Forest. They have a small but well-maintained and clean fleet of 4-5 minivans (Toyota Innovas and other models) that they use to transport guests to and from downtown Ubud - a complimentary service (it takes about 15-30 minutes to walk there) and the Airport / other requested places (chargeable). It's a bit disappointing that they no longer include breakfast in their rates, although room rates are a bit higher than the next door Greenfields (which includes breakfast).

It was really amazing just to sit on the small patio outside our Super Deluxe Room listening to the roosters crowing far away and the sound of the wind hitting against the grass. At the same time, it was a bit scary when we returned at night to the sight of several (5-6) lizards on the ceiling of the patio - well, that's the cost for staying near nature. All the staff members at Tegal Sari really appeared to like, if not love, their jobs. According to the drivers whom I spoke with, they have different tasks every day, sometimes a driver, sometimes doing gardening work so then it's a different challenge and they won't get bored. The staff were all friendly and smiled whenever they see guests. Very good service.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
10 Thank thetravellinghker
kent
Reviewed 27 June 2011

The rooms are lovely and spacious the grounds are rustic and pretty with little bridges and fish ponds dotted all around. It was our first time in Ubud and the staff were extremely helpful in arranging trips and making recommendations. The laundry service they provide was very good and extremely cheap, I only wish I was staying there at the end of my holiday as I would of had all my clothes laundered before I went home. The mini bar in the room was very fairly priced. The massage people they use Pertini I think was very nice, we had the massage, body scrub, body wrap and petal bath which was 250,000 about seventeen pounds I think that was about three or four hours. The driver service they provide is 60,000 per hour which is about four pounds and is excellent. We stayed in three different rooms while we there and they were all lovely but my favourite would be the super deluxe rooms on the 1st floor as you get really good views. The rice paddies had just been harvested so they were not all beautiful and green but it was lovely to see the farmers at work ploughing the fields and all the ducks wandering around. The monkeys come over from the forest in the morning looking for food although probably not best to encourage them as they can cause a lot of damage. The staff showed us one of the villas which is very nice and when we go back I would stay for a few nights in one of the villas and the remainder in a super deluxe room. The staff are the most friendliest, helpful and lovely people and I cannot fault this place at all.

2 Thank anniebeekent
portland, OR
Reviewed 24 June 2011

Wow, I am sitting here now lounging by the private pool in Villa Sesapi 25. We have ordered breakfast to our room (no extra charge). It's all just perfect! The villa is Japenese modern design and just incredible. Free water (dispenser), tea and coffee and a little kitchen, a lovely living room, two bathrooms.

The staff has been so friendly, and we have used the free drop off service several times, although the walk is not long to city center. We just walk home.

We have 2 adults/2 kids and had a second villa, number 26, above us for the first two nights of our stay. It had two twin beds (plus the window bed) and a great view of the rice paddies. It also had a balcony where you could sit and relax.

For our remaining nights, that room was taken so the two kids (aged 10 & 11) moved to our room. One slept in a rollaway bed, twin, while the other slept in the window bed. There is still plenty of room, you could even add another kid and rollaway to sleep in the living room if you needed to. The place is very family friendly!

When you go out the hotel's back entrance, you are only steps from the monkey forest. After much trepidation, we decided to try it. The grounds were so beautiful, and the monkeys were preoccupied enough with people ignoring the rules, so they didn't bother us.

Also, I saw some questions about the construction, so I'll comment on that. Yes, there is construction, but this is nothing like construction in the states. There are 4-5 women who walk back and forth quiety carrying dirt or other supplies to the construction site (on their heads). There are a bunch of workers but no machinery, no music, no loud voices. They are quiety working their butts off, hand sanding, painting, etc. I do occasionally hear a hammer, but the birds are louder. So, please, do not worry about the construction!

This hotel is simply exceptional, and I highly recommend it!

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank retainer
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 24 June 2011

We have just arrived home from a wonderful stay at the Tegal Sari. I travelled with my husband and two children and we all thought that it was a great hotel. The staff are fantastic and they ensure that you are well looked after.

We had breakfast served each morning on our balcony and had a great view over the rice fields. The rice had been harvested but we were able to watch the ducks waddle around in the water.

The location of the hotel is great and as already said that staff are five star. The rooms are very clean and well looked after. This place is value for money.

I can't wait to return.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank Batts777
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 24 June 2011

and were very glad we did as Tegal Sari is a very relaxing stay.
It's a category of hotel that I like to refer to as 'rustic boutique'.
It has nearly everything that one needs in a small hotel and not much that you don't need.

Two years ago we stayed in one of their original Super Deluxe rooms, #12 which overlooked the verdant rice fields. This time we stayed in one of their newer super deluxe rooms #22 which is up on the first floor at the far end of the property.
It still had a similar view but was looking south instead of west.

The newer rooms are larger and nicer with bigger balconies complete with day bed.
My first choice of room (#24) was not available this time and has 270 degree views of the rice fields. I think someone in the past may have enticed monkeys from the adjacent monkey forest over as #24 had monkeys scurrying around almost every morning looking for snacks, so in retrospect our #22 was a good choice.

The staff as ever were brilliant and very friendly and when problems arose, they were right onto it.
Unfortunately there was some construction happening this time, but not too bad and at reasonable hours.
Occasionally we had toilet / hot water / no water at all problems, but was quickly rectified.
Breakfasts, although not inclusive were more than adequate as ever and their TS banana pancakes are still the best I've ever had anywhere.

They now have rear access directly onto Monkey Forest Road which was very handy.
They have some great restaurants within stone's throw of TS which also made our stay easier and more enjoyable.

There were some very minor negatives, but not worth mentioning and certainly not worthy of knocking a pip off the ranking.

This was the best part of our 16 night Bali holiday and was the calm before the storm of activity that was to come in Sanur.

Love Ubud, and love the Tegal Sari.
Hope to come back again one day.

5 Thank skiggy
London
Reviewed 23 June 2011

Spent one night and two days in Ubud, with stays in Sanur either side. Both my mate and I wished we had spent more time in Ubud. Our experience of Tegal Sari was one of the great things about Ubud.

Ubud suits us better, mainly due to wider variety of travellers you meet there. Sanur is fine for families and couples, but in Ubud everytime we were in a restaurant or cafe we got into interesting conversations with people from all over the world as well as local Balinese people. My mate was in Yoga heaven and was travelling back daily once we returned to Sanur as our base. I went for one of the walks listed in the Lonely Planet which showed how beautiful Bali is.

Tegal Sari is in a good location at the south of the town centre in Ubud. 20-25 mins walk from Ubud Palace and 15 mins from the Monkey Forest Sancturary. Although both my friend and I walk fast so it might be a bit more, especially with the shops, restaurants and cafes in Ubud town centre.

We booked online before leaving London, based on checking Tripadvisor reviews. Booking process was smooth. My only concern was having to submit my credit card details by email, rather than with an online booking form. However the hotel had only 21 rooms and is popular, therefore I agree with the need to provide some confirmation to the hotel, but an online form would feel more secure.

We were lucky to get a twin room with amazing views over the rice fields for only £25 for room only. The room was comfortable and secure. As we had only booked the one night, but were keen to spend lots of time in Ubud, we arrived mid morning. The staff looked after our bags and allowed us to deposit valuables in a safe box, to which we had the key. They did the same for us the next day after we checked out, as we did not leave Ubud until 10pm in the evening. If we had wanted to we would have access to a shower and bathroom after having checked out as well. They even drove us back to Sanur, in a comfortable vehicle at a price cheaper than local taxis.

The rooms at Tegal Sari tend to get booked quickly - It is not surprising why. My friend and I are already looking at coming back to Bali and will definately spend more time in Ubud.

Room Tip: Book early and go for the Superior room!