“The greatest, friendliest place to stay. TS I love you! (sorry Beatles)”
Review of Tegal Sari

Tegal Sari
Ranked #30 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 2 September 2012

We stayed at Tegal Sari for a week from the 17th of August to the 24th. They collected us from the airport at a rate that makes me wonder why anyone else uses any other method of transferring!
The first surprise was that all the staff remembered us from March last year and seemed so happy to see us again- I am a cynical soul sometimes, but these people are genuine. We were escorted to our room and the staff happily hauled our gear up the stairs to the Wooden Room, where the extra bed we had ordered for the friend who accompanied us was already in place.
I hadn't had that room before and it was gorgeous. The big verandah looking over the rice fields is a great place to relax in the mornings and evenings- during the first few days we were mostly out until we recovered our senses and declared a couple of relaxation days.
The rooms are kept spotlessly clean,the housekeeping is of a very high order, and we had breakfast every day at the hotel's own dining room. There would have been no extra charge for room service, but we like the waitstaff and find their meals great value and very pleasant.
We moved twice within the hotel during our stay, from the Wooden room to the room downstairs and then back up again, and the staff were marvellous. I'm glad I tried the lower room, but I preferred the upstairs on for the view and the breezes. However I'm certain the stairs are for the nimble- in the next ten years or so I will be settling for downstairs only, I'm sure.
While we were in Ubud we all went for massage at the spa the hotel is associated with- free transport there, free pickup after, and IR95000 for the best part of an hour massage during which I always go to sleep.
Which brings me to the topic of how much can be safely left to the hotel- almost everything!
Their rate for changing money is actually better than the boards outside the money changers. The hotel's laundry service is efficient and reasonably priced. When I wanted to book flights to Lombok I took myself to the manager and he did it for me: tickets arrived that afternoon, at the price I had expected to be paying. One day Bob remained at the hotel and when we came to pick him up he had decided to do the kite-making class, and was putting the final touches to his creation- he may have been the oldest student ever! When it soared over the ricefields I rang the desk to tell them, and they sent out one of the staff to admire the spectacle and help retrieve a million miles of string. I am sorry we didn't manage to take our friend to a dance performance, we just ran out of time, but I would have got the hotel to book it if it had been possible.

This trip was more hectic than the last- Bob had booked a heap of stuff for the first 3 days, so we had to hit the ground running. Next time I will INSIST on a day of idleness after arrival, to let the peace and charm of Tegal Sari sink into my soul.

3  Thank JudithKellett
There are newer reviews for Tegal Sari

Reviewed 31 August 2012

I cannot say enough brilliant things about Tegal Sari. The room was clean, spacious and bright with a fantastic view over the rice paddies. Our beds were freshly made every day and clean towels on demand. The swimming pool was lovely, with plenty of sun loungers around the edge and evn a telephone and menu just in case you get thirsty or hungry; you can order "pool service"! Tegal Sari is situated near the main street, Monkey Forest Road, but you cannot hear the traffic and its proximity to the town centre means you don't need to go far to find something yummy to eat or interesting to see. You can go on a number of organised trips from the hotel. We went to see some traditional Balinese dancing as well as hiring a car for the day to see many other sites in Western Bali. Both trips were amazingly reasonable for what we got.
The absolute best thing about Tegal Sari were the staff. They were ALL exceptionally friendly and helpful, taking the time to stop and chat to check that you have everything you need and are enjoying your stay. Indra, one of the staff, was especially helpful. His English is outstanding and he was never to busy to help with organising transfers, helping to understand something or generally just to chat about Balinese culture.
In addition to this, I would like to add that this would be a fabulous place to bring children. I do not have any myself, but there were many children staying at the hotel and they looked like they were having a splendid time. The staff even taught some children how to fly kites in one of the rice paddies. All in all I have no doubt about recommending Tegal Sari; in fact I urge you to go!

1  Thank Samantha W
Reviewed 29 August 2012

We love Tegalsari ubud. Every time we come to Bali, we always stay at Tegalsari. Usually I stayed at wooden room facing paddy field.
The room is large and very clean. Very value hotel. The staffs were very nice and polite. Every morning you could hear the singing of birds. See you next time Tegalsari.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Risdi C
Reviewed 28 August 2012

Stayed 3 nights in the wooden room-great value for money.Excellent friendly staff who didnt intrude and were very obliging.We rang them when we had moved down to Legian and discovered we had left something in our room.Not only did they forward it onto our next hotel,they also went to the trouble of ringing to confirm we had recieved it.This sort of service doesnt occur often in Bali.

Reviewed 28 August 2012

My friends and I put up 3nights at tegal sari accommodation. We chose the wooden house and the view was breathtaking as it was facing the paddy field. You would feel refreshed every morning when you wake up siting by the balcony overlooking the greeneries. Room was spacious with a king sized bed, air conditioned and very clean too, complete with a Jacuzzi and a shower in the bathroom. Mini bar, safe box, complimentary tea is available. It is not equipped with TV though, but it is not important anyway because most of us would be out for some outdoor activity or would go sightseeing during daytime. Breakfast was not included in the room rate; however it was still fine because you can order your breakfast by calling the reception and to be sent to your room every morning. The price of the breakfast set was also very reasonable. The location of the accommodation was also good, it’s just a stone’s throw away from bebek bengil and also pizza bagus. Staff at the reception was friendly too, very attentive to our needs. Due to the fact that there are limited wooden rooms available at the accommodation, so advance booking is required. It is definitely a place which I would recommend for those who are on a budget. We would not hesitate to stay at the Tegal Sari again.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank FrancineH3
Reviewed 27 August 2012

If you're looking for a relaxing and peaceful accommodation in a village atmosphere, it's the smart choice to stay here! The room is spacious with terrace overlooking rice field. Everywhere you can find green areas. The swimming pool isn't big but very clean and clear. The hotel staff are polite and friendly. What's more, you don't have to spend much to enjoy all of this excitement. In short, you'll get more than you pay. No wonder that this hotel is easily fully booked. Therefore, advance booking is highly recommended.

Just I think they have only stairs. If you travel with old people, it's better to request rooms at first floor in advance. The stairs are a bit high for old people.

The room rate isn't including breakfast, but it won't be a problem at all. You can buy some food at the hotel, or outside the hotel. It takes about 10' drive to Ubud center.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Fransisca N
Reviewed 26 August 2012

This is the four time my family have visited Tegal Sari and we had again booked into Villa Sesapi - this villa has it's own pool - which is a great hit with the kids.

The guys are reception welcomed us back like long lost cousins - this place truly is our 'second home'.

Tegal Sari is spotlessly clean and the grounds are beautifully kept by the many friendly and attentive grounds staff. Nothing is to much for these people.

Met Sister in Law (SIL)and her 2 kids in Ubud - they had to stay somewhere else as Tegal Sari was booked when she tried to get in. Anyway our 4 children did the kite-making course while we did a cooking class with Wayan at Warung Semesta. The children were kept entertained for over 5 hours - what with making their kites and then being taken to the rice paddies next to the main pool area and being able to fly them. IT was a highlight of our trip.

My SIL had planned to stay in a villa in Sanur - so Tegal Sari arranged to drive her down on the Saturday afternoon. Her driver, Made, helped her unload her luggage and said he would stay with her until she was settled in. The villa wasn't very nice out in the sticks, with no shops or transport around and she was left in a quandry as to what to do - so Made rang Tegal Sari and as luck would have it they stayed in Villa Bamboo for the next two nights. This is the sort of service and dedication from these wonderful people.

Already booked for next year - I'm having 6 days by myself (as I'm turning 50) and they have booked Villa Sesapi for next August - just as well as I did - because it was booked when we wanted it already so had to change our dates!!!!

If you stay here you will not be disappointed - I love Tegal Sari :)

Room Tip: Super Deluxe Rooms - the newer rooms are lovely and have a great view of r/paddies. If you can affo...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family