“Excellent stay, surprisingly luxurious”
Review of Tegal Sari

Tegal Sari
Ranked #33 of 198 Hotels in Ubud
Victoria, Canada
“Excellent stay, surprisingly luxurious”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Overall: Amazing stay. Rooms were impeccable, staff were amazing, and location is unbeatable. I've stayed in hotels all over the world and I believe this is my favourite.

Accommodations:

I stayed in two rooms, the Villa Sarang Bambu and a Super Deluxe.

The Tegal Sari is currently not advertising their two Villas because they are near construction. But don't let that stop you from requesting them. The Villas are surprisingly reasonably priced and incredibly luxurious. A private 1.5m deep and 20 foot long pool with a giant bathtub, outdoor shower, and a private relaxing area. I preferred this place to my overwater bungalows in french polynesia. The villa cost around triple their Super Deluxe rooms and had I been able to stay there the entire time I would've.

The super deluxe I believe are their newest rooms. They are beautiful and well maintained. Large bathtub, private patio, the marble floors are very cooling.

Please know that their Wooden rooms are their most popular room categories and book up months in advance. if you want them request em right away.

Booking process:
Strangely awkward requiring full payment up front. But they are very meticulous and once you get passed that you are paying in advance it's worth the awkwardness.

Location:
Walking distance from everything you need. but they offer free transit to anywhere in the ubud area(and they'll pick you up).

Concierge:
Amazing! They booked everything for me and charged great prices for everything.

Food:
Room service was cheaper then even many of the restaurants in the neighbourhood and was of excellent quality.

I will certainly return.

Room Tip: Ask about the villas! They exist and are of great value. They aren't advertised as there is co...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I've never stayed in a 5 star hotel. I would expect that the staff would be helpful and always smiling. I would expect that rooms would be cleaned when the guests were away from their rooms, rather then when the staff felt like it. I would expect guests to be able to eat their breakfasts in bed or beside the pool, if they wished. I would expect the rooms to be luxurious and maybe a little exotic. Well, you dont get the last one with Tegal, but the service aspects of this gem are excellent. It's clean and functional and certainly equal to most of the hotels and motels that I've stayed in in Australia and Europe, but there are a few quirks. The Superior room that I stayed in had a huge bath in which the shower resided. My poor old body is showing signs of wear and tear, and I would expect to have a few problems climbing in the bath in a few more years. Another quirk is the outside lighting which certainly lights up the room at night. It might be best for light sleepers to ask management to turn them off. Another consideration for "oldies" heading up to the second storey are the "giant steps". The Balinese are obviously fit and most of the staff at the Tegal are young and healthy and skirt the stairs like Olympians. However, if your knees are showing their age, you might want to ask for a ground floor dwelling. The breakfasts are excellent, as other people have noted. The positioning of the hotel gives it an "oasis" feel.

However, the real highlight is that you get a great place to stay at a fantastic price.

Room Tip: Oldies might want to stay downstairs.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Markinfremantle
Pondicherry, India
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Tegal Sari is one of the loveliest places I've ever stayed at (and we've traveled and we've traveled--Peru, Mexico, India, Europe, Hong Kong, the US). It's walking distance from the main Ubud thoroughfares, but has gorgeous views of paddy fields on either side of the property (which is long, so its length cuts through the paddy fields). It's also a short walk from the Monkey Forest--which our two young boys just loved--and from shops, the grocery store, money-changers, restaurants, and just about everything you could need. The place has absolutely marvelous garden with ponds everywhere and flowers blooming in bowers all along the paths to the rooms. There's a front entrance and a back one to the property, but you almost don't want the shortcuts out because the walks inside are lovely, too. The property has a perfect lap pool (again looking out onto the paddy fields), lovely, lovely staff who make you feel completely at home, and rooms (we're in one of the upstairs villas, without a private pool) which are large, airy, spotlessly clean, and for me the very picture of luxury. We have a balcony on which we have breakfast in the mornings, and another to lounge around on at the back beside a lovely open bathroom--which is still private enough with the boys around (although I do wish there'd been privacy frosting on the shower doors at least, so that it's a bit easier for family use). I also really (really) appreciated the hotel's commitment to environmental concerns that others just pay lip service to--they provide water, but not in hundreds of plastic bottles, you have to fill your own; their restaurant serves up organic fare; they really do not change sheets daily unless you want them to, and they encourage you to keep your towels until you need a change, which we were happy to (hence the importance of space to sun-dry and hang). They thought of everything, right down to a cute little bird-shaped door-stopper for the back balcony door! And here's the best part: it's not nearly as pricey as most other resorts and hotels around town. I'd stay here again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: If you can, take a room with a west-facing view, since you look out on larger fields that way, and t...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank PeripateticDeepa
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I am so glad I chose to stay at Tegal Sari this time. While it was a really short trip, just a night stay - I had so much fun and the staff was really hospitable to us! We were welcomed with a delicious drink while waiting for our room to be ready, and the staff even gave us a map of Ubud and pointed us to Monkey Forest, Utama Spice, Naughty Nuri. The padi view is absolutely amazing! We stayed in room 6, ground floor at a quiet area in front of a pond and the most delicious padi field views.

We managed to rent a bike too, and the hotel staff called the bike rental to pick it up cause we were late for our driver who was coming to bring us to Nusa Lembongan. I had half a mind to change my itinerary and stay longer in Tegal Sari. Lovely stay, couldn't recommend it enough!

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms with padi views!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ing-pink
tasmania
Reviewed 4 November 2013

It is difficult to add superlatives to a property that so many reviewers find hard to fault. It is little wonder that is the case. Set as it is in verdant rice padi fields Tegal Sari is a peaceful haven when staying in Ubud. My wife and I have stayed here previously and on both occasions have encountered superb service, great food, delightful staff in a beautiful location close to everthing in Ubud. The best coffee in Ubud can also be found at Sparkly in Monkey Forest Road which is across the road from the Tegal Sari's rear entrance.

The property does not have its own spa but will take you to a spa close by that is quiet, calming, professional and with nothing but the sounds of the relaxing music, running water and your own relaxed breathing.

Room Tip: Any room with views over the rice fields is fantastic.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank warra69
sydney australia
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Tegal sari 5 years on.

This was a return stay to Tegal Sari 5 years on and the changes are noticeable. If you visit Bali without a stay in Ubud you really don't do yourself any favours. The people of Ubud have a genuine friendly disposition. I noted some familiar faces at check-in from 5 years prior, so management must be treating them well. Tegal Sari is expanding upwards with more rooms offered in apartment style living, we were housed in Bali style wooden constructed lodgings as before and I'm glad we were. They have far more character and the elevated position allowed lovely breezes to pass through. I really enjoy the feeling of privacy you get with the layout and there has always been something incredibly relaxing about overlooking farmers/ducks/roosters and the occasional dog going about there daily activities amongst the rice fields. Yes the room had no TV,why would you need one with vista's from your balcony, and no alarm clock is no issue with smart phone users.

The breakfast served daily on the balcony was great and the pool was refreshing after an afternoon walk in town. The property has shown a little wear as to be expected over the years, the environmental impact of plastic has been addressed with water bottle refill stations located throughout the property and the addition of a restaurant serving mostly organic dishes is great, even though long waits for food were experienced on both occasions. I always say after visiting Ubud and heading back down into the rat race of Denpasar etc that our next visit will be direct from the airport to Ubud. Treat yourself to a major wind down, visit Ubud.

Room Tip: upstairs rooms facing west are lovely
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank wquick
Denmark
Reviewed 3 November 2013

This small place is still our hidden gem in Ubud.
We love the pool, with rice field view! So quiet and nice.the rooms are spacious and very clean. The staff are so friendly and helpsome. They bring you everywhere in Ubud for free and with a big smile.
The small restaurant close to the reception, makes the most wonderful and cheap food.
This small tropical place is full of peace and harmony.
We will be back !!!