“Love this Place”
Review of Tegal Sari

Tegal Sari
Ranked #30 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Have been very remiss as I stayed for 5 days back in mid May at Tegal Sari and this is the first chance to post. Stayed in Room 30 Superior Deluxe. Love these rooms as they face on to the rice pads so beautiful views all the time. Great spot for waiting for sunrise with morning cuppa and watching the birds fly home with a G & T in hand. Room always spotless and clean. Staff are wonderful - always happy to help, welcome you and offer assistance. Ate most of my meals at Warung Semesta - food always delicious - never had any problems and this is the 8th time I have stayed at Tegal Sari and had many meals there. Pool was never busy - sometimes I was the only one floating around ! Everyone asks me why I keep going back to Tegal Sari - the answer is - it's now my second home and I feel really welcome there. But it seems to be getting harder to book as more and more people are wanting to stay !! Going back with family in August for our annual family holiday and we have booked Villa Sesapi - I saw the building works at the hotel next door when I was there in May - so assume there will be some noise - but Tegal Sari really can't anticipate that - it's not there works. Ketut - hope you are still reading my posts - I love writing about TS. See you in August.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Tegal Sari

Reviewed 3 July 2014

This was our first time in Ubud although we were travelling with friends who have visited a number of times and who made the booking at this lovely hotel. We were immediately struck by how friendly and helpful the staff was and this impression did not falter throughout our stay. Our friend had booked two Super Deluxe Wooden rooms and they were perfect. The room was attractively appointed and had comfortable beds with very much appreciated mosquito nets - nothing other than these really keeps these little critters off you in Bali. The best feature of these rooms is the large balcony with a sweeping view across the rice fields to the Monkey Forest. The balcony has comfortable chairs and a day bed that was perfect for the odd power nap. We had breakfast on the balcony every morning and it was delicious and delivered at the time we requested. We also did a cooking class through the hotel and had an extremely enjoyable, delicious and very filling morning - Wayan was a great teacher. We also liked Tegal Sari's location which is a bit away from the hustle and bustle of Ubud; don't ever go there thinking this is a sleepy little town.

So, to the building construction. Without this I would have given the hotel 5 stars but this would not be an honest and frank review if it was not mentioned and taken into account at this time. While the staff are very apologetic and claim it goes from 8am to 8pm they acknowledge it often went later - and it did - sometimes until 9.30pm. It was intrusive on the first of the 6 days we stayed but after that we started to get used to it although the banging of metal on metal was always a bit jarring. Tegal Sari claims the building works will be finished by December but it doesn't really look that way. So if you are planning on staying here before then ask if your room backs on to this site and if it does - and all their villas do - you should take your tolerance for noise into account.

Room Tip: At this time, take the noise of the building site into account. Loved the room we stayed in.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank mini_d51
Reviewed 30 June 2014

we have spent a week in this hotel and we were very pleased ! Everything was great. The staff was exceptionnal, the rooms were very clean and tidy. We have organised all our tours with the hotel, the service was amazing.Not to talk about the food which was delicious ! Thank you to all the staff for this stay. Mister Matt and Miss Emilie :)

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Tegal Sari, as its name suggest, is very beautiful place. Its in heart of the city, yet its secluded from crowd. The staff is too polite and happy to help always. Tegal sari's own restaurant serves excellent food. There are couple of good restau nearby. monkey forest is on walkable distance.
Highly recommended for visitors in Ubud.

Room Tip: wooden deluxe room is good choice.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Third stay there now. Loved the first two visits last year. Would have loved third visit except for the building site going on right beside Pool Villa Sesapi. The worst noise ever going on from approx 7 am to 10 pm. - unbearable. The workers slept on this site. There was really some noise at all times.

What upset me even more was that we paid 1.5million for this per night. Our two friends turned up two days after that and they were offered the other pool villa, Villa Bambu for 1.1million. They are both normally 1.5million. They declined because of the noise.

One of the toilets was flushing continually. They were unable to fix.

Two of us was very ill for two days after eating breakfast from their cafe Semester on our first day. Didn't eat there again.

It was such a shame about the noise and I expect it will go on for some time.

Apart from the fact that we had the extreme noise and they did not forewarn us, and then to have the cheaper offer to my friends was very upsetting. Tegal didn't know that we knew these people. Big mistake. Very disappointed with Tegal and won't be going back.

Shame because in the past stayed in Villa Bambu which I loved. Loved Villa Sesapi even more. Would have loved to go back. But not after what happened in May.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
7  Thank GypsyAustralia
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Peaceful and just felt as if we were living in the rice fields. Highly recommend Tegal Sari, attentive staff and nothing was too hard for them and always with a smile, Thank you for making our wedding anniversary memorable. Will be back soon.

Room Tip: Any room just as long as it has a view of the rice fields
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I stayed in a Superior Room at Tegal Sari throughout my stay in Bali. At the beginning, I was impressed that the staff had patiently waited for me to come out from the airport's arrival, despite of my flight's delay. And by the time I reached Tegal Sari, it was already near 10pm. The staff at the reception still handled my check-in with smiles all over his face and led me to my room before showing me around the hotel.

When I woke up in the morning, I realised that the paddy field view was right in front of my room. How lovely. I then decided to take a walk around the hotel and I must say that the views within the hotel's compound were simply stunning.

Also, the hotel simply impressed me with all the services, like room service, tasty breakfast, daily housekeeping of my room, free shuttle service to Ubud's centre, towel for my swim at the pool and free re-fill of my own water bottle, and many more.

Now I totally understood why Tegal Sari is a Travellers' Choice Winner again and again. I would definitely love to stay at this hotel when I am to visit Bali again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo