“Wanna go back there..”
Review of Tegal Sari

Tegal Sari
Ranked #28 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 4 September 2014

We stay at tegalsari for 2 nights in super-deluxe room, which is perfect for us, very nice ricefield scenery, fresh air, huge room, honeymoon decorated bed, and ethnic bathroom completed with huge bathtube. Room rates is not include breakfast, we can order from their breakfast list ll comes with reasonable price and tasty also
We try their spa Balinesse massage and it feels relaxing, although we have to wait around 1 hour because they are fully booked at that time.
We would definitely come back to this hotel on our next holiday..

Tips to book this hotel : they weren't affiliate to any famous online hotel agent, so you have to emailed them directly. Sometimes email responses could be slow, i prefer to make a call directly to Tegal Sari.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Karin J

Reviewed 2 September 2014

We emailed them many times before finally getting the intructions on rates. We were required to pay in full in advance. That was OK but did it by credit card. I was at another hotel in Ubud 1 wk before and emailed Tegal Sari 4 times for Transport 3 day, 3 days and 1 day in advance ,of our reservation arrivial date. NO answer. We arrived in our own transport. Check in . Informed that we pay for our breakfast . most include breakfast. The prices are reasonable for breakfast. EVERYONE was very nice ! Our room , a wooden room was cute the , clean and Waya gave us excellent instructions on everything. Water is not delivered to your room like other Bali homestays and hotels ( this is our 7th trip ). You have to walk up to the lobby or pool area to fill your coffee maker or glasses or used empty bottles then take them back to your room. The light bulbs were very poor and one light worked intermitantly when we sat or got up from thebed. The wattage is too poor to read anything and even with 60 watt bulbs which we bot and used, the shades were too low. Romantic with the straw pattern . The wi fi has to be logged into each time but it worked well most of the time. The porch faced rice fields to the monkey forest, no monkeys, but they burned and we were smoked out the first night and could not use the lovely porch, with the bed out there too. At 6 a.m. men yell "Haw Haw" and hit on tin plates to scare the birds out of the rice fields. So, get to bed early. Then theydo this again at 5 p.m. , which would be nice to have cocktails without the racket. But it is funny and the way of life. the construction from the adjoining property could be heard all day and the workers worked and cleaned out debris in trucks all night. No Tgl's fault. The rice field do not belong to them either.These are neighbors. We could hear the motor scooters all night and day because it is located just off of the last leg of Hanoman street, which is busy. It is very close to a grocery CoCo Mart , can walk there. Best to get taxi bringing you to Tgl. to stop there for 10 min . and get water and snacks. Good refrig. on the Tgl. porch. AC worked excellent. In late Aug. we did not need it really. Bathroom had great shower , if you are not fat. We aren't. Huge bathtub. No real bar soap , just liquid. We don't have the maid come, so theyleft towels. No Mirror in the main room . Mirror in bath is for a tall person. I could see my chin. Bed very comfy. Nice linens. They are very helpful. It is nice $50 usd is fair but we've stayed at $70 with a huge breakfast that had more traditional atmosphere, but bad Wifi. And stayed at a beautiful place for $85 with grat included breakfast, wi fi,afternoon tea in the middle of Monkey Forest Road, which was a better location. You can walk right thru Tegal Sari to the lower loop around Monkey forest Rd and Honoman Rd. , so you do not have to walk on the Busy street that your taxi came in on. Saim Sally is a great Thai resturant nearby. Best to get Tgl. shuttle to take you to the market and then Walk thur and Down the open air market streets towards the soccer field. then you on your way back. I'd recmmend it but I would not stay again because the location is kind of out of the way an there is construction. The price is RIGHT and the people are Good and Honest. Pool clean.
Food was very good , tiny rationed servings , which is wise. Towels rationed, which is wise. Elect is high here , so turn off your AC. No TV but CD's will work on your computer and you can go to local bars or watch a movie ( lots of CD and DVD shops) or take a swim. There are ants in the bathroom in every hotel in Ubud, so if you can't handle that , put some shampoo down the floor drain. The curtains in our room were not really made poperly but we made them work. Actually they have makeit lovely and rustically charming. I would really have liked at least one reading light and a mirror. One of those easy cheap ones could fit on the closet door easily. The bath door is 2 separate wood doors, Charming to look at but not great for keeping in the AC or useing it at night. The views that were spectacular 6 yrs. ago are being ruined by new construction....here and everywhere in Bali. Be sure to ASK if construcion is near your room.

Room Tip: I would get a SUPER deluxe next time. We got a wooden room but it was dark and had a tiny spiral...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank contessapv
Reviewed 29 August 2014

What an excellent place to stay when in the hustle and bustle of Ubud. My mother has been staying here for 10 years and would not recommend anywhere else to stay. The location is prefect and the views are better. Nothing beats Nasi Goreng and rice paddies.

Room Tip: Super Deluxe Wooden Room.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jo M
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Lovely setting in a paddy field. I can spend hours at the pool. The wooden house would certainly appeal to the Westerners. For Asians, go for the super deluxe. The views are fantastic & it comes with a jacuzzi

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank KKYUM
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Glad I booked my superior room months in advance. I had a room on the 2nd floor overlooking the rice paddy. I enjoyed the banana pancake breakfast on my balcony. Staff service was the best. Being a solo traveler. I never had to worry about my free drop off and pick up service in Ubud. I attended the highly recommended shows ( Legong and Kecak fire). I was dropped off and after the show the staff was waiting outside to take me back to the hotel. Also, their massages are terrific at pertenin. I had a massage every night and for 95000 rupees. Room and grounds were well kept. Staff very friendly and helpful. Free coffee and tea in room. Also comes with shampoo, and shower gel.
I wrote this as past tense as I need to leave tomorrow. I am going to miss Tegal sari for now. Really enjoy the serene location and proximity to tourist attractions and coco supermarket. I hope to go back soon.

Room Tip: Choose room on 2nd floor overlooking the rice paddy
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Silvia L
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights and can definitely see why it's so popular. Staff were wonderful and so happy to help with booking activities and giving directions, all with a smile. We stayed in the Superior Deluxe room as the Wooden room upstairs was booked out. We ate breakfast at the restaurant there twice and was delicious as well as great value! Tegal Sari is a very short walk to the Monkey Forest which then leads to the main road. Lots of shops around the area to browse and walkable distance. Great value for the price!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank nl028
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Everything was really special about Tegal Sari. The staff was so attentive, kind, good humoured. The wooden room was my favourite with the deluxe room a close second. Watching monkeys in the rice paddies and reading on the verandah. Supper was the best. Went back a second time and had the same experience.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends