“Brilliant Small Hotel”

Ranked #31 of 198 Hotels in Ubud
Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands, UK
“Brilliant Small Hotel”
Reviewed 20 January 2011

Tegal Sari really deserves the praise it has had on this forum.

My wife and I were in "blissed-out" mode pretty much from the time we arrived until we reluctantly had to leave 5 days later.

The last place we stayed which gave us the sort of peaceful "away from the madness of the world" feeling was the Rayavedee several years ago. It's true to say Tegal Sari isn't quite as luxurious as the Rayavadee - but then again it costs about £50 per night for a Super Deluxe room, not £400+...

There are obviously many other fine places to stay in Ubud - but we'll be coming back here - for the location, for the incredible vlaue and for the wonderful, friendly staff who really do go out of their way to make sure your stay is a complete pleasure.

Whether you stay here or not check out the 4 Hands massage at their Peretinen Spa... 90 minutes of absolute bliss for just £10 or so!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BrianMcKibbin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
New Jersey
Reviewed 12 January 2011

I travel quite frequently for work and have an opportunity to stay in several top notch hotels around the world. My stay at Tegal Sari, I must stay, will remain one of the most memorable. My pleasant experience began right when I arrived at the airport after a very long flight. I had arranged a pre-paid car service through the hotel. When I arrived, the driver politely asked me if I would be OK to share the ride and that I would pay only half the amount as I was sharing it with another couple. Even though this was not my first trip, the driver very patiently explained the Balinese culture on the way to hotel. The check-in was smooth and easy. The staff genuinely goes out of their way to make your stay comfortable without intruding upon your need of privacy. For me, its the little things that matter most and TS staff went out of their way to make little things appear larger than life. For instance, greeting me with my first name every day, replacing extra tissue in the bathroom, filling up electric tea kettle with fresh water everyday, and leaving the AC on after observing that I had left it turned on during a couple of occasions. Although the breakfast was not included in the room rate, it was plentiful and quite reasonable with many options. I had lunch one day at the their new restaurant on monkey forest road- Semesta, but opted for quieter and more intimate location of Abian which is right next to reception area. The lunch was so good that I ended up eating most of my meals at TS. The restaurant cook(s) and staff were very sensitive and accommodated my spicy Vegetarian food needs to the best of their abilities. I did go out to eat at Cafe Wayan a couple of times but preferred the food, service, and value offered by Abian. The mini bar menu and laundry service offered by the hotel is quite reasonable and good. The pool however needs of some maintenance and upkeep. In summary, the hotel richly deserves its 2010 Travelers Choice Award. If available, I would go back and stay at TS in a heartbeat. Many thanks to the entire staff particularly Sudarta, Nyoman, the drivers, gardener-come-watchman, and all the servers and cooks of Abian restaurant. You truly made my stay memorable and I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank KFamilyNewJersey
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 27 December 2010

A peaceful and beautiful hotel to stay. Good for relaxation. There's no TV in the room, unless you request for it. Room is comfortable, it opens out to the padi field. Cool... But the bathroom design is a bit odd, not so user-friendly. We really have a relax time.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank freeyin
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 26 December 2010

We travel quite a bit but dont review places very often. I felt this place deserved it. This is a wonderful little hotel that was in our opinion great value. The service was wonderful and we loved our room over looking the rice paddies. Splurge on their most expensive rooms, they are lovely and the cost is still just a fraction of what it will cost you in a basic room of a more upscale hotel. The little outdoor restaurant doesnt look like much but we really enjoyed all of our meals (apart from the coffee but that goes for all of Bali and just my opinion)..this is one of our favorite places and wish we had stayed longer. Staff were wonderful. 5 stars from us.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank fletch250
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 20 December 2010

I booked a superior deluxe room with my brother. It was very comfortable- the staff are incredibly accomodating and thoughtful, the grounds, especially the pool, are beautiful, and it is situated in the midst of rice paddies. It is a hike to Ubud town center, but it's worth it to be in a quiet location. The hotel gives complimentary rides back and forth from the town center. Would definitely reccomend as a great inexpensive choice.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank rubybouvier
London
Reviewed 19 December 2010

Set back from the main road with beautiful gardens and a range of well-designed, spacious and private rooms - Tegal Sari exceeded expectations and was great value for money. We loved our early-evening (well-priced) G&Ts sitting on the balcony overlooking the paddi fields. the staff were great and we were really well looked after. And at night the only sound was the frogs (and the occassional thunder storm!) Couldn't have asked for more! Absolute bliss...

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank DJguapa
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 18 December 2010

We really loved this hotel, as we absolutely loved Ubud. Be sure to make a reservation a long time before going because it was really difficult for us to find a free room 4 weeks in advance and during our stay we had to change to another room. But the rooms are sooo nice for the price you pay, and the view of the green ricefields is just amazing! It is located near to the Monkey Forest and so in about ten minutes you are where all the nice restaurants are. The staff is super friendly and their english is very good. We look forward to go back to Tegal Sari some day and for sure we will book then their best room.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple