“Woke up in Paradise”

Cendana Resort and Spa
Ranked #128 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 14 February 2012

Being that I was traveling solo to Bali, I opted to let a travel agent book my rooms for me. When I arrived, I was immediately taken by the lush grounds and attentive staff. My bags were quickly collected and I was shown to my room at the back of the property. I was in room 301 and it was luxurious and quiet. The king sized bed with its crisp linens and oversize bathroom with picture window were welcoming. They also provide bottled water and a mini-bar/refrigerator. I hadn't even had time to open my suitcase when there was a knock on my door: The hotel had sent me a welcome drink of watermelon juice. Very refreshing! The room overlooks the spa and rice field and early in the mornings, I would sit out on my balcony and listen to mantras being chanted and roosters crowing whilst watching birds and dragonflies dart about in the first rays of morning sunlight. The breakfasts are served buffet-style and are satisfying. The fresh juices are amazing! And, they will serve you an egg any fashion you like if it is not available in the buffet. What makes this hotel stand out, in my mind, is that it makes you feel like you are "home". They offer free internet stations 24/7 and wi-fi, which I didn't use. The pool area is well kept and a perfect place to meet other travelers and make quick friends. That is when you realize that this is the type of hotel people come back to again year after year. The friends I made arranged for a driver to take us to dinner and back again. It is part of the hotel service. I felt cocooned in this magical place surrounded by lotus pools, rice fields and beautiful sculptures of Hindu gods and Buddhas even though Ubud's city life was only at the end of the driveway.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 2 February 2012

We were at the cendana with children and grandchildren. It was great for all, beautiful grounds, pool, friendly, helpful staff, and a great central Ubud location. One of the better value Resorts with the following caveat:

Rooms 321-324 are very nice but open to the music of nightclubs late into the evening. Could not drown the music out. Be very cautious if you are a light sleeper as the music will keep you awake. Lower and further away rooms did not seem to have this problem but dont say I didn't warn you. Management is aware of issue and told us in advance, so we were on notice. I think they should lower the price on these rooms because there is not really much they can do.

Other than that, Cendana is a very nice resort. We even went back for a swim at their pools one other day while in Ubud.

Room Tip: See above re: rooms 321-324
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Fastphilad
Reviewed 22 January 2012

We stayed for the second time in December 2011 and once again were bowled over by the quiet location in the heart of Ubud! This is a lovely, moderate price hotel with extremely helpful staff and great service if you ask for it (it will not necessarily be volunteered, which is the case the world over). So if you find something wrong just ring receptuion - our experience is that what few problems there might be are fixed instantly. The salt water pool overlooking the rice paddies is food for the soul in itself. Lovely breakfasts. Can't wait to return.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 January 2012

We stumbled across this hotel whilst we were looking for places to stay in Ubud during peak season time in December. We stayed here for 2 nights.

It was a great little place with decent rooms, mosquito net, large bathroom, a/c, comfy bed and great windows and door. The room had no wifi.

We stayed in a downstairs room that overlooked the rice paddy. It was away from the pools which was nice because it was peaceful.

Breakfast was included and it was good. We really enjoyed it. A good variety of food.

We thought it was overall a good place for the value and the location. But if you want upmarket, high end hotel, this is not the right choice. This hotel is in a great location, rooms are basic but decent and food is good. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 January 2012

The Cendana is in an excellent location. It is set behind one of the main roads in Ubud, so it is quiet yet within walking distance to fantastic restaurants, shops, etc. I first stayed at the Cendana in 2006, and was very pleased to return. Our room was perfectly clean and included what seemed to be a new bathtub. Tip -- if you are on the second floor you can enjoy better views of the rice paddy. The pools are both lovely, and the breakfast is nice as well.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor have a better view and seem more private.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank sally00802
Reviewed 21 November 2011

We booked in here after reading all the decent reviews on trip advisor and thought it would offer good value for money. How wrong could we be.

We stayed in room 315. The bathroom had not been cleaned properly: it smelt of sewage; the toilet was filthy; towels were dirty and there was debris in the bath.

There was a massive gap in the door frame which meant all the mossies could get in and to our horror there were numerous stains on the mattress which were visible through the sheets.

The hotel staff were not helpful. I would not stay in this hotel. Pay a bit extra and stay in Yulia. We left after 2 hrs in Cedena.

• Stayed: November 2011
2  Thank Linedwards
Reviewed 18 November 2011

We wind up most trips to Bali by spending a few days in Ubud, the island's cultural capital. We'll have been scuba diving out in the boondocks, so while we outgas we like to get a little more urban, and Ubud fits that bill. Its business is tourism, just as Kuta's is, but here it's cultural tourism, with some of Bali's best performing arts troupes playing here nightly.

The action centers on Monkey Forest Road from the central market (a warren of shops and stalls occupying a city block at the top of Monkey Forest, on down to the Monkey Forest itself. Cendana Hotel is about a 15 minute stroll from the marketplace, but it's on a flag log. So it's not even visible from the road--just a sign and a driveway.

The resort itself is next to a large rice paddy. That's what you see when you go out on your room's veranda in the morning, then walk farther to the resort's restaurant where you get your free breakfast.

The rooms are spacious, with good AC and western toilets, but otherwise a traditional Balinese accommodation--no TV, no glass windows yada yada. The lushly landscaped grounds include a deep freshwater pool and a mineral water pool. There's an Internet cafe for guests by the reception area, but also free WIFI.

All the resorts will arrange tours and drivers for you, but you'll pay extra for the convenience. For our last four visits we've used an independent driver/guide named Wayan Borneo (www.wayanborneo.blogspot.com), who will pick you up at the airport and take you to Cendana, and then take you anywhere on the island you like on day trips.

We use him because he knows where the less touristy attractions are--the temples not full of other Westerners and self-appointed tour guides, the rice paddies not obscured with street vendors, the night markets locals go to for recreation. He can also take you to his village and show you what real, day to day village life is like in Bali today.

His informal taxi stand is on Monkey Forest road across from the entry to Cendana.

The bottom line for Cendana is that it's ideal for travelers who want Bali as real as it gets while still hanging on to AC and Western toilets. We've stayed in fancier places, such as Pertiwi down the road, which is terrific but not, we felt, worth the extra money from Cendana's midprice range (i.e. about what Motel 6 costs here in major market areas). We've also stayed in cheaper fan rooms elsewhere, but I couldn't get to sleep.

So for cultural tourists I think Cendana is an ideal balance.

One extra is that it's just a few doors south of a temple (pura) that offers night time performances under a roof--most performances are open air. So if it's raining, this becomes one of the few places where the show still goes on regardless of weather, and its an easy walk from Cendana.

Not far the other way is Cafe Wayan on the other side of the street. Here, like Cendana, you can get seating in a garden setting far from the noise of Monkey Forest Road. And it offers a
Sunday buffet with lots of Balinese dishes, all labeled, giving you a chance to find out what you like and what it's called.

We were originally led to Cendana by the locally owned scuba diving liveaboard operator we use, Grand Komodo Tours ( http://www.komodoalordive.com/ ). They're a local outfit, and their recommendation of Cendana is another sign of the advantages of getting to know local businesses and using their recommendations.

Room Tip: Second story gives you a better view of the rice paddies.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends