“Wish we could have stayed longer”

Cendana Resort and Spa
Ranked #128 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Dublin, Ireland
“Wish we could have stayed longer”
Reviewed 6 December 2013

We stayed in a deluxe room for only 3 nights , top floor facing salt water pool and overlooking rice fields , amazing view ,! Breakfast was good, nice selection , would have liked access to juice ,as each time we needed a refil we had to ask the staff , but it was freshly squeezed so worth the wait ,we had one meal in restaurant whitch was fine , but with so many restaurants in ubud we didn't have time to sample any more , pool was amazing, swimming while looking out over the rice fields and watching the ongoing work by a couple of local women, I would have liked a safe n the room as I wasn't comfortable with using the one at reception , they seemed to have a lot of keys to just one lock , staff were very polite and welcoming ,The manager Norman introduced himself to us at our first breakfast , but as it was a holiday while we were there we didn't see him again , pity as he was a very nice guy , We were so lucky as there was a royal cremation while we were in ubud ,this was a pretty amazing ceremony and we feel very privileged to have witnessed this event ,,,,On the last day of our stay we visited monkey forest in the morning ,and had a small accident when one of the daddy monkeys attacked me falling and cutting my leg badly and hurting my arm (we found out later that it was broken ) apparently the monkeys were angry as it was a holiday ,and there was a lot of food around in the offerings in the temple , but as we were not leaving ubud until 6pm I was very disappointed that we still had to check out at noon , I asked if we could use room so as I could rest my leg and arm ,but even though there was no booking for our room that day ,they wouldn't let us use room to rest , we did however use a shower beside reception before our taxi arrived ,but there was no where to put dry clothes so a little bit of acrobatic movements were needed to wash and dress, When we were leaving ,after sitting in reception chatting to the reception staff ,waiting for our transport , the two staff members did not say goodbye or help my husband with luggage, But Hey ! These were only minor hitches and would not deter us from staying in the cendana , oh I forgot to mention the two birds who scared the wits out of me the first time they said hello and good morning when we walked past , they also had some naughty sayings that were soooo funny ,if we are lucky enough to return to bali and indeed ubud I would love to stay in this hotel again ,only next time I would like to stay for longer and I would have no hesitation in recommending the cendana to my friends

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Melbourne
Reviewed 3 December 2013

The standard room was of a good standard , although the bathroom is a little tired looking, breakfast was included in the price which added to the value. Ducks on the rice paddy next door was a nice cultural experience. My second trip to Cendana Resort after a break of 4 or 5 years.

Room Tip: Don't expect 5 star and you should not be disappointed. This is from a males perspective as I tr...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

My mum and I stayed at Cendana for 6 nights and we had the most pleasant experience there. We stayed in a standard room and everything was perfect-- the buffet breakfast, the rice fields view, the ducks, the cleanliness. Most importantly the efficiency and hospitality of the staff was so impressive! And we also enjoyed ordering food from the restaurant there which was affordable and yummy too. Will definitely go back there, highly recommended!

Stayed November 2013
St. Helena, California
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I travel often to Ubud for business and pleasure and you know what they say – location, location, location. Cendana Resort, downtown Ubud, is great for me in so many ways. I agree wholeheartedly with the many other reviews noting its serene location amidst the hubbub of a very busy downtown center, the rice field overlooks, attentive staff, lovely grounds, two swimming pools (one salt-water), on-site spa, great breakfast buffet and home-style feeling keep me coming back. All these and the perfect location make Cendana my home away from home each time I travel to Ubud. I’ve stayed here 5 times and each of them re-affirms my choice. I wouldn’t stay anywhere else.

Close to all the great Ubud restaurants, a mini-mart, reputable money exchange and shopping the location is perfect for the casual traveler. Short walks to the traditional market (go before 8:00am if you want to see local village sellers, artisans and buyers beginning their day. At 8:30am it changes over to the tourist market), the royal palace, art museums, cooking classes and rice field excursions are additional bonuses.

If you are traveling for adventure, like most of us, remember it’s probably very different than where you live and that’s what it’s about. A word of advice if you are a light sleeper; travel with earplugs or one of those traveling white noise gadgets. (there’s an App for that :>) and they are always a good idea for traveling). Cendana being in the center of town, with all of that convenience and next to a rice field with the farmers, different noises could be a challenge. The roosters awake long before dawn, the ducks chum the fields for breakfast, rice field workers begin early and a neighbor added a bar to their warung a couple of years ago offering live music a few nights a week. I’ve never had a difficulty and sleep like a baby with my gadgets so plan ahead and your Bali adventure will be magical, it always is.

Some additional practical notes: In room WiFi (and on site hard wired computer room if it’s down), air con in room, private bath, attentive room staff, daily bottled water supplied, money exchange just outside the hotel grounds (with reputable pricing and secure interactions), complimentary local village transport, help with or recommendations for any sort of tour/itinerary/activity you desire, healthy great cuisine within easy walking distance, easy communications via email for reservations and airport transport. Great healthy restaurants within easy walking distance. All in all – great choice to stay at Cendana !!

Room Tip: Standard rooms are comfortable for one or two and are furthest from the warung with live music. IIf...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 October 2013

We have just stayed at this beautiful hotel in the heart of Ubud and it was 5 star! The gardens were amazing with the most beautiful infinity pool overlooking the rice paddy field in a peaceful romantic setting off the main road but so quiet ! Wonderful and deluxe room had a four poster bed and air con - very reasonable for lovely size room! This hotel made my holiday in Bali perfect! I will dream about this place forever!!!!

Best hotel I have ever stayed in!

Room Tip: Deluxe are wonderful!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Hobart
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I have stayed at Cendana twice and now it is my hotel of choice in Ubud. The location is perfect for me, right in the middle of Monkey Forest Road, but set back a bit from the road. I have stayed in the deluxe rooms which are very large and have a huge bathroom. The two pools are gorgeous, and I love the one overlooking the ricefield. The spa is also very good, but there are cheaper options very close by, in fact there is everything you could want very close by, including a couple of mini marts within 200 metres.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank cherrystalks4me
Darwin, Australia
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Cendana is located perfectly on Monkey Forest Road. It is an oasis in the busy road. Breakfast is great and the pool is lovely. Staff were very helpful The price is very reasonable. The pillows and beds cab be a little hard.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family