“Good value for money-perfect location”

Cendana Resort and Spa
Ranked #131 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 12 August 2010

Despite a poor breakfast, the rooms are big with a big bathroom as well. Yet old-fashioned would need a facelift.
Quiet location, ideally placed near the monkey forest. View on the ricefield.
Very helpful people.
Useless to take the superior room, same comfort as the standard (just bigger).

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 August 2010

This is a rather late review, being in Bali in Nov 2009.

I booked Cendana upon arrival in the Bali Airport. So choice made was first and foremost for the price of 80USD/night for superior room and 50USD/room for standard. It was one of the recommended small hotels in the guidebook so I took it. I wanted to have the cheaper one but they were fully booked. It was a LITTLE hassle to change room but I am glad I experienced two different types - worth the 25 meter walk and someone was carrying everything for me anyway.

Didn't have much expectations but it turned out to be lovely. Not extravagant, far from being luxurious but hello, Bali for me is about serenity and simplicity, so I got what I wanted. I used the spa, not the best treatment but still nice and cheap. The pool near the restaurant was so nice, overlooking the rice paddies. I am not stranger to rice fields, coming from the Philippines originally but in Bali, I found so much inner peace being there. I was even watching the rice paddies from my bathtub in the superior room.

Breakfast was simple, had very limited selection but satified the palate anyway. I liked the bar I passed by before reaching the hotel. The bar is very modern but the bartender had good English and was almost like a tour guide and could answer all my curious questions. Bali is spa haven. I had so many different treatments and watched two cultural shows. I was walking alone in the nights but felt safe though.

Bali is definitely a "must see again" destination. I would not mind staying in Cendana again if the price remains competitive.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 July 2010

We booked the Cendana Resort and Spa for a 3 night stay at the end of our holiday after reading reviews on Tripadvisor and looking at their package deals on the internet. The hotel looked more basic than the other hotels we were staying at during our trip but still looked nice, so I ended up booking a 3 night Deluxe Room package which cost us just $412 USD for the both of us. The Deluxe Room is the highest class room at the hotel and the package included Transfers each way to/from airport or other hotel, a 2 hour spa treatment and either a rafting day trip or island day tour. I thought this was fantastic value and was hoping that everything would live up to expectation.

We got picked up from our hotel in Legian at 5.30pm, this was over 1 hour later than booked, however the traffic is always terrible in Kuta/Legian and that time of year and the driver was terribly apologetic on his arrival. We arrived at about 7pm and check in was fast and smooth, we had 2 bell boys take our luggage to the room which was at the back of the resort overlooking the salt water pool and rice paddies. Even though it was dark I could see that the resort was landscaped nice and had a good feel to it.
Room - The room was amazing, different to what I'd stayed in before but I loved it. We had a little porch way entrance with wooden shutters which led into main bedroom which was really spacious. We had a large kingsized bed with mosquito nets, there was really good aircon and a small TV (no english channels though). The room had large windows on 3 of the walls making for beautiful views and light in the morning. We had a large balcony overlooking the pool and rice paddies and the bathroom was also big with wardrobes, walk in shower and a bath tub. We were supplied with power adaptors and a mosquito zapper, however there wasn't a safe in the room, just a lockable drawer.
Breakfast - I would say breakfast is average, I wasn't that impressed, but for the price I guess there was everything you need and they did make freshly squeezed juices on request.
Location - Fantastic location, right on monkey forest road, so all good restaurants are in walking distance as is monkey forest.
Pools - There are 2 pools, a salt water one overlooking rice paddies which are stunning and a chlorine one next to reception.
Spa - We had the 2 hour spa treatment included in our package, but don't expect much, it's very basic and semi outside, hard to explain. It was ok, but I'm glad I didn't pay extra for it.
Day trip - As we had both been rafting before, we decided to have an island tour for our inclusive trip. As it happened we got a personal driver from the hotel who took us wherever we wanted to go, temples, coffee plantations, volcano etc. It was fantastic! Be aware though that you have to pay admissions and get your own lunch. I still thought it was great though not to be restricted by a large tour and to have our wn personal driver.
Staff - All staff were really friendly, it is a small hotel and seems to be family run.
Overall we had a great stay at Cendana. Don't go expecting luxury as it's not. It is a pleasant well kept family run business and extremely good value, we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank aloa21
Reviewed 3 July 2010

I booked the Cendana Resort & Spa after reading reviews from Tripadvisor, the main reason of choice was the central position in Monkey Forest Road . The reviews were mixed so l did not have high expectations. What a pleasant surprise we stayed in the Deluxe Rooms which are further from the main area but close to the infinity pool.
The rooms are typical Balinese and are large and clean, the bed was so comfortable it was the most comfortable bed we slept in on our whole trip (including 4star accom)
The gardens were beautiful and peaceful, breakfast was a bit basic but for the price of accommodation very ok, try the ginger pancakes they were lovely. Overall l loved my stay at the Cendana and would have stayed longer. The cheaper rooms are also very good value. One problem the Deluxe rooms have Televisions which my husband wanted to keep in touch with news, all you get is indonesian stations but in the end we had a lovely time sitting on our porch having a few drinks talking, which was lovely to be
surrounded by the beautiful gardens. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 June 2010

This would be a really nice small hotel with "a-family-run-place" atmosphere, on a good, central Ubud location... if it weren't for the staff who were neither friendly nor competent. We considered prolonging our 3 night stay for 3 additional nights, but the receptionist/manager wanted to charge us double the price we payed previously booking online. They weren't helpful with ordering taxis for us either. Prior to checking out they charged us double the price for laundry service with the excuse that we must had had an old price list in our room?! And this was although the laundry was 2 day too late!!!
The best thing about this hotel are the beautiful gardens and the great salt water infinity swimming pool overlooking the local rice fields!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 June 2010

We were delighted with out choice of the Cendana. Its not what you'd term a luxury resort but we found it to be good value.
The location in the centre of Monkey Forest Road meant that we could pop in and out during shopping trips around Ubud during the day and were delighted with the choice of local restaurants within easy walking distance, which range from simple to extravagant. Indeed one of the best restaurants in town is at the entrance to the hotel.
The hotel provided free transport around Ubud as part of our deluxe package which was very helpful, or for other trips there are lots of alternative transport options.The rooms are set well back from the road which meant there was little traffic noise coming from the main street. Our room was large and comforta ble with a huge 2m x 2m canopied b ed.
However the soft furnishings are a bit grubby and indeed the whole resort is rather tired so a makeover would b e recommended. A definite downside is the lack of a fan on the balcony, and no kettle in the room.

Breakfasts were a delight with a selection of fruit juices squeezed to order, a good selection of fresh fruits which were always quickly replenished and a selection of cooked breakfast items including crispy bacon and fried eggs.
The staff were always friendly but unobtrusive.
We did try the Spa but weren't terribly impressed.
The gardens and pools are both lovely and peaceful.
All in all we were very happy with our choice and would certainly use it again.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2010

Saw the good review on the internet and booked hotel online.
Seems to be over rated. We got the deluxe room that is supposed to overlook the "Padi Fields" but find it's just a small plot of unattended waste grassland rather than a big beautiful padi field we visualize from the photos posted by the hotel.

Location is great, Room is spacious and very clean but it might have been better if the hotel management put a little bit more effort on the basic requirements needed in the room.

There is no kettle, hot flask, glass or cups for drinking water which i supposed should be added into every room instead of having to ask for them every night.

The TV is so small, old and have "snow flakes" on almost all channels, no international or movie channel, just local.

Staff are friendly and helpful enough though, but corridor is a little too dim for even finding the key holes to the door,

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends