“Lovely setting but Saraswati is near their laundry and we could hear help talking and”
Review of Alam Shanti

Alam Shanti
Ranked #70 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Our room Saraswati was a lovely room and huge charming bathroom with lovely window, nice aminities and traditional indonesian charm. The AC blew directly on the bed and we tried to take down the mosquito net on that side of the bed to shield from it but ended up taking off a sheet and tying it on that whole side of the bed. It was to
hot to not use the AC. The room or suite or entire upstairs of Saraswati had a huge outside deck nice for reading hand we had a lovely delightful tasty breakfast at the table out there. Must order breakfast 24 hrs in advance . Must order transport ( free) 30 minutes in advance. Pool was lovely, staff was most pleasant except at night they talked in the office about 1/2 a block away but we could hear them in our room. At 10 p.m. I went down and asked them to tone down and it was quiet immediately. The grounds were beautiful . I would have liked the romantic ambiance but the resident of the adjoining property was using a saw and doing some cement work, so we could hear the workers during the day and alittle past dark. ( this will be completed soon) When we arrived we were greeted by
Ayu , the lovely lady that checked us in and was just wonderful, but we felt barraged by " greeters" actually about 4 young men besides Ayu. We were alittle rushed by them to get out of the transport and get registered and have a drink....and while I registered us...my partner was asked to fill out something too and he didn't notice that one greeter closed the door to the transport with my bag with the computer and all of my makeup in it. So , that was a loss. So , be sure not to be rushed and count all the bags ( both travelers should do this) before you pay the driver and before they depart. Alam Shanti is not on the beaten path so the driver who drives back to Sanur or Denpasar will not be inclined to return the lost articles....everyone there was very upset about the raise in petrol prices.
I would prefer being in UBUD because most hotels even on Monkey Forest Rd. have the rooms in the back of the property and are quiet. OH ! there was a family with a baby about 6-8 months old. So, we heard crying baby in one of the larger suites at the other side of the property. Then they walked the baby around the property to try to settle it down, so everyone got to hear the serenade. The DO go in your room. So put things UP !! There is no Do not disturb sign. In the evening we put the lock on and put a chair in front of our door as a signal not to go in. Still they went in and turned on a light and pulled the drapes. The next night we pulled the drapes and turned on a light before we went out for the evening in UBUD, and when we came back the chair was moved and evidence that someone had been in the room. No problem, but I just don't like to have to hide my glass of water ( you have to BUY or Bring water ) . I really don't want anyone straightening my clothes or putting them in a drawer because if I don't do it , I might forget something. So , when we were there later we just told them not to clean our room....but they still came in when we were gone and left towels. I would have prefered that they left the door locked and left the towels on the huge porch.

Room Tip: Saraswati is beautiful !! and by now the construction will be done next door. Huge terrace with 2...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Alam Shanti

Reviewed 25 June 2013

I am loathe to review Alam Shanti because every review sings its praises and thus the secret is out. A group of 14 women stayed for a week in June to celebrate my daughter's 40th birthday and we all had nothing but high praise for all aspects of these individual huge spacious and luxurious villas set in verdant gardens and all for very reasonable cost. The staff could not have been more accommodating; (service with a smile which is rare event when you hail from Perth); every request was met; so many small touches made it a special place: - shuttle service to and from; meals delivered in room, by the pool etc; ice and glasses on request; even a packed breakfast box for an early morning airport transfer. ...

Room Tip: Monkeys can be a nuisance in the villas in the rice field
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank anneohare
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Spent 5 nights here in their lumbung house (now called Utari House). A small cottage set back in a small rice field. It is exactly as you see in their website. Clean, quiet and peaceful except for the occasional motorbike passing through the back lane. Only complaint is that the small air conditioner is barely able to cool the property during the day (2 floors, ac placed on above the stairs in the corner, ceiling fan upstairs), however it works well enough during the night for a comfortable sleep. Still great nonetheless!

P/S: sometimes, some large gecko might crawl into the property like in my case, but i'm ok with it.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank peeenuts
Reviewed 26 May 2013

Spent two nights in April in thsi loely place. rooms were spotless, the verandah was very pleasant, the garden beautiful, including the rice paddies. Ordering full meals from the nearby restaurant was easy and the food, well, delicious, from the rijstafel to the sumptuous free breakfast.
The shuttle into town was rapidly available
Only gripe: the car was not there to pick us up at the airport. I called and they allowed me to take a taxi for the same price, so we did not lose too much time...

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice, the "cheaper" ones are on the ground floor, more luxurious ones on...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank RCAQUA
Reviewed 26 May 2013

we were exhausted when arriving at Alam Shanti, but that quickly changed to excitement, when we stepped out of the car. Alam Shanti was everything we expected and more- friendly staff, fantastic service, beautiful gardens, peaceful and quiet, and the comfiest four poster bed! breakfast was huge, and served on our balcony every morning. Afternoon tea was the perfect addition to our full days of touring around! Seraswati room was fantastic, so much room, and a day bed on the balcony to sit and relax. Yes there's bugs, and some interesting noises through the night, but hey, they were nothing out of the ordinary- insects, etc are common place here in Oz. We felt like we had the place to ourselves- even the staff kept well hidden, but when we needed them they were there. oh and the free shuttle bus service was such a bonus!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank emlee_9
Reviewed 21 May 2013 via mobile

Not one for wordy reviews but I love this place. We stayed in the Gayatri room and chilled out in this lovely space. The short distance to the Monkey Forest means you occasionally battle the monkeys to keep your breakfast, but this was really fun and had no negative impact on our stay. The whole hotel was spotless with wonderful staff. Book ahead as it's hard to get in. Can't wait to come back

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank NICOLE C
Reviewed 20 May 2013

It is with mixed feelings that I write a review of Alam Shanti. As the more popular this beautiful oasis becomes, the more difficult it is to make a booking.

But I can't let my own selfish reasons detract from recommending Alam Shanti as a little slice of paradise. We've now stayed there twice, most recently in the Gangga room and on a previous trip, Indus. Both rooms are spacious, wonderfully appointed and set amongst picturesque gardens.

Our most recent stay in late March 2013 was in the Gangga room which is the second level of a two storey dwelling and also has access to a private pool. We have two young children (4 yrs and 18 mths) but the rooms are so spacious that there is plenty of room to move around.

If you haven't stayed at Alam Shanti before you will find a series of buildings set amongst lush tropical gardens adjacent to a mild river that runs through the monkey forest. A short walk up the road towards town (apps 200m) will bring you to the rear entrance to the monkey forest. And if you're feeling adventurous you can walk around the forest by taking the motorbike trail, which will lead you over the river and back onto Monkey Forest road. It is close enough to the heart of Ubud to be walkable but far enough away to give you some peace and quiet.

One of the great things we love about Alam Shanti is that you can order meals in from the various restaurants or the aligned Laka Leke up the road and the staff will delver them to your room all plated up to enjoy on your own private deck. I can literally close my eyes and remember having the traditional duck meal from Bebek Bengil (dirty duck diner) being served on the balcony washed down with cold beers after our kids had gone to bed. If you have young kids I would strongly recommend you consider this option. One other great thing about Alam Shanti is the lack of TV's, so sit back, relax, listen to the sounds of the forest, enjoy a good book and embrace island life.

One final note. Ubud is changing. I was quite disappointed to see a large Starbucks in Ubud this time around and the marketplace is very different. That being said our time at Alam Shanti transports us back to our first Bali trips apps 10 yrs ago. Alam Shanti is a must do for couples or young families, but make sure you book well in advance to avoid disappointment as the secret is out ....

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family