Alam Shanti
US$1,255
US$343
US$169
Agoda.com
All reviewsshindu roomdewi roomyamuna roommonkey forestcafe wayanlake lekeafternoon tearice fieldsupstairs and downstairslily pondsprivate pooleach morningfree shuttlehuge roomfish pondshuttle servicetraditional balinese style
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Our eighth stay at Alam Shanti . Always come to Ubud at the start of our yearly Bali holiday to chill and relax before going down to Tuban. Never disappointing. Just luv the peace n quiet. Staff do leave you alone but isn't that what Alam Shanti is about, privacy. Thankyou Ibu Iya and Wayan our flowers were a special touch. Next year cannot come soon enough. Love to you all . Ibu Jan and Pak Simon.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I came here with a family group and we were given two villas together that were set apart from the other rooms by some padi fields. My husband and I were in the room Gayatri--it had two sizeable balconies with really comfortable daybeds, and if I hadn't been so anxious to go batik-shopping in town I could have spent all day lounging out there and enjoying the peaceful atmosphere. The only thing to note about these rooms is that they are not for the monkey-phobic--one morning there was a troupe of monkeys swarming the verandah where we had our breakfast! They were not threatening and we actually got a kick out of it, but it wouldn't have been pleasant for anyone with a phobia. I have now stayed in Alam Indah, Alam Jiwa and Alam Shanti, and am hard pressed to say which is the best. (Alam Indah is cheaper and simpler, so in a slightly lower class but fantastic value. The view across the gorge is better from Alam Jiwa.) The free wifi is best in the reception area, non-existent in the rooms, but that only makes for a more rejuvenating stay :-)

Reviewed 26 May 2014

I literally built my trip to Bali around my desire to stay at Alam Shanti, and booked it far in advance. It was lovely, but there are things I wish I had known. First, and most importantly, I stayed in the Shindu which was certainly beautiful, but I was extremely disappointed to arrive and find construction going on directly next to it. And I mean DIRECTLY. All my happy thoughts about enjoying the tranquil garden in the outdoor bathroom sailed right out with the construction workers who were on the immediate other side of the wall from early morning to early evening every day. Close enough that I could have heard them whisper. And that works both ways when you have a toilet outside. This is something that guests should be told in advance. And the shower in the garden is lovely...if you don't mind being fully visible from the windows in the room above the Shindu. These were very big negatives. The one other surprise I never expected was the staff themselves. They were certainly polite, but of all the people I encountered throughout Bali, the staff here were the least friendly of all. In context, elsewhere they would be above average - I never passed anyone who failed to say hello. But you get spoiled quickly on this island, and I was surprised that over five days not one person asked me how my stay was or if I needed anything or just generally conversed. By the standards here, it was surprising. And a bit disappointing after the connections I made everywhere else.

On the room itself, it was beautiful. Absolutely. The bed and linens were so comfy. The verandah was perfect and I enjoyed it tremendously. The food was very good and it was very nice to be able to have dinner delivered. The attention to detail in the grounds and room was great. One thing that needs addressing - all the towels smelled heavily of mildew and need to be replaced.

If you are staying in the Shindu, expect to deal with insects of course. They weren't nearly as bad as I anticipated given the location and open air type room. But. The closet is in the bathroom, and I completely unpacked the first day I arrived. The following morning there were swarms of Mosquitos in every part of the closet and throughout my clothing. I had to take and shake out every article one at a time and then move everything into the room on the daybed, where they remained. I doubt there's anything that can be done about this, but its something to be aware of if you are planning a stay.

The spa that is part of the Alam family is AMAZING and I particularly recommend Martini. She was worth her weight in gold!

Room Tip: ASK what rooms have construction nearby. It makes a huge difference.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Carrieyew
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We stayed in Yamuna for 4 nights and had a lovely stay. Four of us (two adults, two children) had ample space. The room is decorated in an understated fashion, and the bathroom is just fabulous - open air (but undercover) with an outlook over the rice fields. And we were fortunate enough to have the pool (shared with upstairs) on our doorstep. The grounds are lovely, and well kept. Breakfast and afternoon tea were lovely - both were delivered to either the balcony or the pool, which was a real treat. The location is great - the 'other side' of the monkey forest. It is easy to walk through (or around) the forest to get to town, and there are several restaurants on the street so no need to wander very far for a meal. Our stay was great, but I would make one observation for those considering booking - this is a hotel that accepts bookings from families (for which we are thankful). If you do not wish to share space with children I would suggest booking a place that does not accept family bookings (and there are plenty in Ubud). Through no fault of the hotel, I feel the couple that booked the room above us were not impressed when they saw us arrive, and within an hour of being in the pool we were being asked to keep our children quite (7 and 4 year old boys). We kept our time in the pool to a minimum (about 2 hours a day, if the kids had their way they would have been in the pool from sunrise to sunset), but I feel this was two hours too long for our upstairs neighbors. That aside, I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to anyone.

3  Thank big_red001
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We had a wonderful stay at Alam Shanti a few weeks ago! The first night, we were in the Laskmi room, which is the least expensive in the hotel. We couldn't believe it when we walked in, beautiful beds, spacious and an amazing bathroom. Plus the patio area was so nice and relaxing. We moved the next day to one of the most expensive rooms, and wondered how it could be any better...well, it was! It was even bigger, the bathroom was indoor/outdoor, and our patio looked over rice fields and trees where monkeys would come to play. Oh, and we had a private pool for just ourselves and the room above us. It is open, so bugs, etc can come in, but that didn't bother us at all and we loved the peacefulness of the hotel. We also thought the location was ideal, walking distance to town, and the shuttle was always available if it was dark or we were hot and tired. We ate at both of the restaurants owned by the group, and loved them as well. We highly recommend this hotel if you are looking for understated luxury, and unique rooms.

2  Thank JennewCa