“Decent stay in Ubud ”

Alam Shanti
Ranked #72 of 196 Hotels in Ubud
“Decent stay in Ubud ”
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

Great little villa style rooms out amongst farmland. Was reasonable convenient, 20mins to walk to the town via the monkey Forrest which was also great to see. The attached spa was a decent, if not a little overpriced, but all in all pretty good.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ari C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Alam Shanti is an excellent place for a peaceful homebase while exploring Ubud. We spent a week there, and loved coming "home" each afternoon after seeing sights in town. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful, the room and balcony were spacious and comfortable, and the pool was great for kids. We were concerned that being south of the Monkey Forest would make getting into town a hassle, but the walk is fairly short, or using the free shuttle service is an easy option. Now that we're home, we miss falling asleep to the sound of frogs.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Cheryl A
Molde, Norway
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We stay in Alam shanthi for a few in december 2010.The review now comes too late.We have never seen something like it .Theres something very special about this place.Somehow it calms one down.The residence is in in harmony with rest of the nature and greenery.a highly recommended place to stay.Free shuttle service to and from central ubud was included.Very friendly people too.Simply love this place.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mistamojo
Hermosa Beach, California
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Excellent proximity to Ubud. Just the other side of the monkey forest, Alam Shanti allows you to unwind after the enjoying the hustle of central Ubud. The staff is accommodating and friendly. We stayed in the Laksmi which was quite roomy. It's not extravagant, it's simple and comfy, just what we were looking for. There was a day bed outside of our room that I enjoyed just doing nothing on cept for enjoying the sites and sounds of the area. Oh, and their breakfast is yummy!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SouthBayBilly
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Our eighth stay at Alam Shanti . Always come to Ubud at the start of our yearly Bali holiday to chill and relax before going down to Tuban. Never disappointing. Just luv the peace n quiet. Staff do leave you alone but isn't that what Alam Shanti is about, privacy. Thankyou Ibu Iya and Wayan our flowers were a special touch. Next year cannot come soon enough. Love to you all . Ibu Jan and Pak Simon.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Toronto
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I came here with a family group and we were given two villas together that were set apart from the other rooms by some padi fields. My husband and I were in the room Gayatri--it had two sizeable balconies with really comfortable daybeds, and if I hadn't been so anxious to go batik-shopping in town I could have spent all day lounging out there and enjoying the peaceful atmosphere. The only thing to note about these rooms is that they are not for the monkey-phobic--one morning there was a troupe of monkeys swarming the verandah where we had our breakfast! They were not threatening and we actually got a kick out of it, but it wouldn't have been pleasant for anyone with a phobia. I have now stayed in Alam Indah, Alam Jiwa and Alam Shanti, and am hard pressed to say which is the best. (Alam Indah is cheaper and simpler, so in a slightly lower class but fantastic value. The view across the gorge is better from Alam Jiwa.) The free wifi is best in the reception area, non-existent in the rooms, but that only makes for a more rejuvenating stay :-)

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Addison, Texas
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I literally built my trip to Bali around my desire to stay at Alam Shanti, and booked it far in advance. It was lovely, but there are things I wish I had known. First, and most importantly, I stayed in the Shindu which was certainly beautiful, but I was extremely disappointed to arrive and find construction going on directly next to it. And I mean DIRECTLY. All my happy thoughts about enjoying the tranquil garden in the outdoor bathroom sailed right out with the construction workers who were on the immediate other side of the wall from early morning to early evening every day. Close enough that I could have heard them whisper. And that works both ways when you have a toilet outside. This is something that guests should be told in advance. And the shower in the garden is lovely...if you don't mind being fully visible from the windows in the room above the Shindu. These were very big negatives. The one other surprise I never expected was the staff themselves. They were certainly polite, but of all the people I encountered throughout Bali, the staff here were the least friendly of all. In context, elsewhere they would be above average - I never passed anyone who failed to say hello. But you get spoiled quickly on this island, and I was surprised that over five days not one person asked me how my stay was or if I needed anything or just generally conversed. By the standards here, it was surprising. And a bit disappointing after the connections I made everywhere else.

On the room itself, it was beautiful. Absolutely. The bed and linens were so comfy. The verandah was perfect and I enjoyed it tremendously. The food was very good and it was very nice to be able to have dinner delivered. The attention to detail in the grounds and room was great. One thing that needs addressing - all the towels smelled heavily of mildew and need to be replaced.

If you are staying in the Shindu, expect to deal with insects of course. They weren't nearly as bad as I anticipated given the location and open air type room. But. The closet is in the bathroom, and I completely unpacked the first day I arrived. The following morning there were swarms of Mosquitos in every part of the closet and throughout my clothing. I had to take and shake out every article one at a time and then move everything into the room on the daybed, where they remained. I doubt there's anything that can be done about this, but its something to be aware of if you are planning a stay.

The spa that is part of the Alam family is AMAZING and I particularly recommend Martini. She was worth her weight in gold!

Room Tip: ASK what rooms have construction nearby. It makes a huge difference.