“Can not say enough good things about Alam Shanti” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Alam Shanti

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ubud
Alam Shanti
Ranked #67 of 190 Hotels in Ubud
Melbourne
“Can not say enough good things about Alam Shanti”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2008

Having just returned from our weekend at Alam Shanti I can not say enough good things about staying here. We arrived late in the evening and had arranged for them to meet us at the airport. When we arrived the office had closed and we were shown straight to our room. We sorted out registratiion the next morning.

We had Yamuna and WOW. It was so nice and homey and we loved our HUGE balcony with 2 day beds. The perfect place to lounge with a book and watch the rice grow in the rice paddy. The gardens were beautiful and the pool stunning. Breakfast was delivered to our balcony each morning with a smile. Tthe staff were lovely and nothing was too much trouble. Two day we walked into Ubud and when we were tired we had the cafe call and got them to come collect us. They would drop us off and pick us up from dinner with just a call.

The perfect place for a peaceful getaway with a friend which is what we wanted. Will definitely go back again.

Our only complaint was all the rooms were full as we would have loved to have looked at them all. I'd say I'd love to book another room next time but I suspect I will take Yamuna again since I loved it so much.

• Liked — The peacefulness of the location
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with friends
3 Thank LF0308

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Franconia, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2008

Alam Shanti is a unique jewel at the edge of Ubud, in the middle of nature, calm and peaceful. It's a resort of about 10 villas, in the middle of a gorgeous tropical garden, including a nice, pittoresque and absolutely clean swimming pool.

Please do neither expect animation, 24/7 entertainment, American style all-inclusive buffet, passing out people etc. - for this, go to Kuta or Sanur, or better stay out of Bali. Alam Shanti is for people who seek peace, beauty, gorgeous nature, amazing smells and just a perfect relaxation. Check Alam Shantis homepage (alamindahbali dot com) - it gives you a first impression.

My wife and I went there on our honeymoon in May, 2008 - and it was JUST PERFECT!

Reservation is done directly by phone or email: Alam Shanti (and its sister resorts) is family-run and - for Gods sake - cannot be booked with big travel agencies. Many guests come again and again, so booking in advance is adviseable.

ACCOMODATION
You will usually get a sort of villa for your own: my wife and I stayed in the "Yamuna" villa whose veranda alone is bigger than a standard hotel room. As soon as you get there, you are captured by the charme of the place: relax in the daybed on the veranda while hearing the warm morning rain (no worries: lasts about 30 Minutes only) dripping onto your thick banana leaf roof and the jungle next-door, and you will feel a peace you haven't felt in your life. Listen to the animals in the near jungle, or take a bath in the huge bathtub in the open-space bathroom - the shower is a man-high stone statue.

FOOD:
Each morning, after your request (call whenever you wake up), a staff member will bring you your breakfast to the veranda: fresh fruit, eggs, toast, coffee, tee - it is really great.
For dinner you just have to walk outside the resort: just before the entrance of Alam Shanti and Alam Wangi, there is a delicious Balinese restaurant just waiting for guests to come in. You might be the only guests, you might taste the most yummy dishes you can imagine, and at the end of the meal you will pay, including drinks and dessert, maybe 5 to 7 US$.

SERVICE:
Excellent!!! You're treated like a king. Call, and they will take you to town. Take a card of the resort and give it to a waiter in case you have dinner in town, and someone's gonna pick you up and drive you home. Believe me: it's great!

MASSAGES:
Next to Alam Shanti is Alam Wangi - if you don't use it you're stupid: they offer great massages, full-body massages, Ayuverda massages, oil massages, etc etc for ridiculous prices. One hour costs around 15 US$ - take advantage as much as you can!!!

TRIPS:
You can have trips organized by the staff, or you can rent a scooter or hire a driver, or you can just walk 5 minutes to the monkey forest. The good thing is: you are in the middle of gorgeous nature, but Ubud is just a 5-minute drive away.

RESUMEE:
Guys, believe me. I searched for weeks in Internet to find a suitable place for our honeymoon, and I must say choosing Alam Shanti was the BEST choice! After having been there, i can guarantee you that you might not find anything better, and even more for this price! Of course, there are lots of beautiful places, hotels, resorts on Bali. Maybe another resort has a bigger pool. Maybe another hotel is 300 Meters closer to town. Maybe another hotel is at the sea with a nice beach - ANYWAYS: the Alam Shanti is THE BEST i could imagine, and honestly I would not change it for any 6-star-resort. The peace, the charme, the originality you find there is just unique.

FINAL TIP:
Take one of the big villas (we took "Yamuna"). I just saw that Alam Shanti is going to raise their prices, so that the two big villas will cost 150 US$ per night from 01/2009 on. Still, only four words: IT IS WORTH IT !!!

• Liked — everything from the amazing location to the excellent service
  • Disliked — no dislikes
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Christian W
The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2008

We stayed here for 2 nights and didn't want to leave, what a great little paradise.
The Room, the view, the terrace, the pool, stunning!
Very nice people and excellent breakfast on your own private terrace.
Even the frogs at night we liked to listen to ;-)

• Liked — room
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank carlijne
Sunderland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2008

We stayed as Alam Shanti for 4 nights in August. It should have been 5 nights but there was a mix up regarding our room when we arrived. This was the last thing you want to here after 16 hours of flying so I was determined to hate the place - I simply couldn't!

The rooms are fantastic for the price. The gardens are lovely. The pool and area are great. The sound of the wildlife at night is entertaining. The breakfast delicious. The staff wonderful.

They even bring you cake with afternoon tea as part of the deal !

It is a nice 10 min walk to Monkey forest road in Ubud but there is a free shuttle service.

The spa which is part of the hotel is good and cheap.

Going back next year

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dave9966
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2008

A beautiful place to stay in Ubud. Be warned there are bugs and geckos as you are in a rural area. We stayed in the Laksmi Room. It was a nice, basic room (compared to their other rooms), but still quaint and romantic. In fact, I proposed to my fiancee in that room, laying in the bed looking out to the gorgeous view! Thanks Alam Shanti for making love happen.

We only stayed for two nights due to availability but was able to transfer to Alam Indah up the road, their sister property. That place was equally impressive. They made the transition easy, I was able to take care of the whole bill at the end at Alam Indah. The staff was incredible.

The only problem was it's quite a distance to walk to central Ubud around the palace, especially in the heat. No worries, they have free shuttle services.

• Liked — Staff. Beautiful setting. Free shuttle service.
  • Disliked — Opposite end of Monkey Forest Road, away from central Ubud.
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank eshia01
new zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Alam Shanti for six nights last week.
This Hotel was everything I had hoped for and more.
The grounds were beautiful with lily ponds and small water fountains dotted throughout. It was so private, and we hardly noticed anyone else there. We had the lovely pool to ourselves most of the time. Breakfast was good and every afternoon between 3.00p.m. and 6.00p.m. you could call for your afternoon tea and it would be delivered to wherever in the grounds you wanted it. We looked forward to seeing what yummy treat we would get as each day it was something different, and very yummy it was. The rest of the day tea and coffee was available on request as the rooms have no tea/coffee making facilities.

Our room was the Indus. I could not believe how large it was! Just beautiful. We had a large balcony and every evening we sat outside listening to the myriad of the calls of the night.

The shuttle was available anytime to take us to Ubud which is only a 10 minute walk through the monkey forest but longer by road.

The staff deserve special mention. They were unfailingly friendly attentive and just genuinely lovely. Nothing was too much trouble and we had a late check out pre-arranged with no extra cost.

We felt as though we were in paradise.

This Hotel is perfect for those wishing to spend a few nights of serenity and would be wonderful for a honeymoon!!

• Liked — beautifully furnished huge rooms
  • Disliked — nothing to dislike
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank journeymakers
Perth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2008

My wife & I stayed at the Alam Shanti in August 2008 as part of a 3 place holiday stay in Bali.
After making our decision through Tripadvisor review information we realised we had hit the jackpot with this choice.
I was a little worried though because I am the type that gets itchy feet and wants to go off exploring, too much time relaxing bores me but my wife likes peace and serenity and can spend most of her time relaxing, reading doing puzzle books etc.
We stayed in the Shindu room and it surpassed our expectations. This room is huge, ( no T.V. ) the bathroom is very good and the bed is massive and comfortable. The hotel staff keep everything very clean.
The gardens, pool ( very cold Brrrrr! ) are magnificent.
The staff are friendly and helpful.
The Spa too is very good and reasonably priced.
If there could be any fault I found the breakfast not to be substantial enough but my wife disagrees.
There is a free shuttle bus to take you into central Ubud just ask at reception and they will organise it straight away and if you go to the Cafe Wayan they will organise a lift back.
We enjoyed our stay here and can understand why it has such good reviews.

4 Thank delboyPerth