“Comfortable stay!!”

Tunjung Mas Bungalows and Resort
Ranked #76 of 568 Ubud B&B and Inns
“Comfortable stay!!”
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Near to the famous restaurant bebek bengil. 10 min walks to monkey forest. Central of restaurant, lounge, convenient store etc.

Room is clean and comfortable. Spacious enough..

If need to use wifi have to go to the lobby though.. Room wifi is very poor with weak connection.

• Stayed March 2012
3 Thank Clykitten

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Santa Barbara, CA
Reviewed 25 February 2012

We are spending 3 nights here. Our room overlooks rice fields. Very quiet. The staff is very helpful and delightful. They recommended a fabulous walk which was the highlight of our 6 day visit to Ubud. Easy walk to restaurants. Modern bathroom, good shower. A/C sufficient. Standard room was an excellent value.

Room Tip: Standard room #10 overlooks rice fields
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lilyan C
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 21 February 2012

My friends and I enjoyed our stay at Tunjung Mas. The bungalows are well off the main road, so no traffic noise. The service was always very friendly, prompt and helpful. Not many units have a view over the rice paddies, but the garden is quite pleasant. There is a free shuttle when available to and from other parts of Ubud, which was nice. Our only complaint was that the walls were quite grubby and in need of a fresh coat of paint. There also was construction noise from next door, but this wasn't much of an issue as we were mostly out during the day. The small pool was very nice.

Room Tip: standard number 10 has the best view.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Omsk, Russia
Reviewed 26 January 2012

Stayed here for 2 days. Great location, walkable distance around Ubud.
Very friendly staff. Rooms are huge and clean.
Simple but sufficient breakfast that was brought to the room.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank yurilo
China
Reviewed 24 January 2012

the hotel is clean and well maintained, with good breakfast. there're spas and resturants nearby and we enjoyed this place much, actually, it's the cheapest hotel during our stay in Bali but proberbaly the best value for the money. strongly recommened!

Room Tip: the room 4 and 5 are connected, so it's good for the family travelers. and room 5 has a lovely s...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank summertimeke
Netherlands
Reviewed 22 January 2012

I chose this hotel because the price listed on Booking.com was quite affordable and yet it was rated highly on Tripadvisor. When I got there, I decided to fork over an extra $10 per night for what they said was a better room.

I ended up with a large ground-level room with a private porch and garden. The room was huge and comfortable, the garden green and peaceful.Two large windows afforded a good view of the garden. Some sculptures. It felt a little luxurious even though it's an older building with ordinary furnishings really. The bed was large and comfortable.

The air conditoning worked perfectly, despite the large space. Large standard bathroom.

The shower for this ground floor room was a rustic Balinese-style shower, but it wasn't really that nice. It's enclosed in a rather dark, damp room adjoining the bathroom. The floor of the shower area consisted of a brick and rock set-up that wasn't so comfortable to stand on. This shower area is damp and hot in the rainy season. I don't think it was properly ventilated and perhaps it coudn't dry out properly.

The breakfast was a la carte, not buffet. It was OK. Unusually, they provide the service of bringing it to your room if you want.

This is not a large property but they've done a good job with it. The garden-like grounds are very attractive.

The small, underused pool at the hotel has a soothing waterfall wall and is a good place to cool off on a hot day. There are about five or so older pool chairs.

The reception/breakfast area are quite small though. This is a small hotel without a large common area.

The staff are friendly and polite. Lots of smiling young people. Good service. From what I heard, they are very good with children. One family in particular were delighted with their stay.

If you stay here, you'll learn what a tokay gecko sounds like.

A woman handweaves beautiful Balinese cloth behind the shop at the front. You pass by her when you walk out of the hotel.

The hotel is located on the south side of town, about a 25 minute slow walk from the market/palace area in the centre. I explored Ubud on foot from here, but the hotel has a shuttle. The streets are lined with shops, restaurants and (of course) shrines, so walking here was interesting despite the narrow, delapidated sidewalks. Don't think Ubud is spared the intense traffic you see in the rest of Indonesia. It's not as oppressive maybe, but it is bad.

The monkey temple is an easy 10-minute walk away. Be Indiana Jones for a day. (I'm not kidding. At this place you see how shamelessly Hollywood has been ripping off the Balinese culture for decades.)

Some of the very best restaurants in Ubud are within walking distance (indeed, one or two are just across the road). There is a supermarket just up the road. A bakery with good coffee is just around the corner.

The Ubud Fitness Center is in the north part of the town. So about a 30 minute walk from this hotel.

This hotel has two issues (although I realise some people won't be bothered by this at all):

1. There's no free wifi in the room. They do have it, but it's accessible only in the lobby.

2. The TV has no English or other international stations. I asked about this. They're trying to remedy that situation but there is a problem of some kind. This is perhaps the hotel's biggest demerit. Fortunately I had a few books with me.

It's difficult to know how to rate the hotel. It's essentially 3/5, I suppose. This hotel is a nice place though and I enjoyed staying here. That should bump it up. However, these positive aspects are offset by the shower/television issues. I don't think you can rate a hotel as 4/5 when the television is unwatchable, can you?

Final word: If you find a price you like, this hotel is a good base for your short visit to Ubud.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank zwerf
Surabaya, Indonesia
Reviewed 13 January 2012

I found this bungalow from the internet. Actually was not going for this one, but the expected hotel was fully booked.
So we gambled on this one. Looking at the nice website and not so bad review.
We spent 9 days in Bali, and this bungalow was for the very last night of our stay. It is the third hotel we stayed in that holiday. I'm a budget traveler and was quite happy with the hotels before. We had a wonderful day, until we finally checked in at Tunjung Mas.
The surprise came to me and my husband already when trying to find the address. Pengosekan street is crowded with hotels and shop and the Tunjung Mas sign was not easy to find. We finally found it and checked in. Another surprise came. We checked in on my name as we did with the previous hotels. But that was the first time, the hotel asked for my husband's ID as well. Of course we don't have any problem to hand them my husband's ID. But we want to know why. No answer really satisfied us. First, the receptionist told us it was required by the police. For me this is not true, because the other hotels did not ask the same thing. And then they told us it's for safety reason. When we asked what kind of 'safety' reason, maybe they thought we're some criminals or what? And then they explained they once have a customer got an accident but this person did not listed in their database, so they had to face some consequences. I'm sorry but I don't buy this. I don't think they asked the same thing to foreigner guests.
When we get to the bungalow, yes the room was big. But this was the worst room we had. It's big but not efficient. Definitely needs some refurbishment. Furniture looks old, bed was not really comfortable, the mosquito net was dirty (looking like never been washed for months). I don't like the bathroom either. Some spots are dirty, and there was a dead lizard on the window surrounded by ants. I don't like the unfinished look of the stone they use in the bathroom. I can not tell for sure if it is clean or not. The bathroom was big but it is very weird to me that they put the WC at the opposite corner of the shower. No standing shower, by the way. Only bathtub.
And don't expect any view from this bungalow. The area was crowded, full with buildings.

Yeah, it is not super bad. But hey, you can get much nicer room with that price in other hotels in Ubud area

Room Tip: avoid any room ^_^
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple