“Amazing!”

Ranked #9 of 198 Hotels in Ubud
Ottawa, Canada
“Amazing!”
Reviewed 30 October 2011

We purchased a five night stay via an auction website (Luxury Link.com). It was probably the best purchasing decision we have made via a site of that nature. The hotel is just amazing. It is set atop and into a hill in the Valley of Kings, so one looks down upon a river gorge and lush vegetation. We "won" a garden suite but on the advice of other Trip Advisors I contacted the hotel in advance and booked a Terrace Villa. The room was large and lovely, with a private infinity pool and a private lanai and patio. Essentially you step through a set of teak doors, and then down a few steps into your own private property. The room was gorgeously decorated, the amenities lovely and as others have noted all the non-alcoholic items in the mini-bar were free. The very comfortable bed was a kingsize set in the middle of the room with a bathroom that was huge (it ran the entire width of our villa) and unbelievably beautiful. The room service menu was limited but the food was very good. Breakfast was included in our package (I think it is standard) and was comprised of fresh fruit, fresh fruit juice, and one of any other item (eggs benedict, french toast, homemade yogurt etc). Coffee was either french press or cafe au lait, etc. The hotel has a beautiful infinity pool if you wish to wander up to the main grounds, we also spent alot of time there. I can tell you that the pictures are exactly as what you will find when you arrive. The Spa on the premises is also top notch. This hotel exudes serenity, peacefulness and it is clear that it is a passion of sorts for the owners. Everything is meticulously maintained and well thought out in impeccable detail. The staff are warm, welcoming and helpful. The hotel transfers from the airports were very good with large and comfortable SUV's. This is a definite 5 star experience for someone who wishes to enjoy amazing luxury and care and be away from the hustle and bustle of Ubud proper or the beaches at Kuta etc.

Room Tip: Book a Terrace Villa or other Villa (Viceroy, Viceregal) you will be so happy that you did. The Delu...
2 Thank vcbalderson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Melbourne
Reviewed 25 October 2011

There is such an air of peace and tranquility about Viceroy Ubud. The staff are amazing and deliver impeccable service in an unobtrusive way. The Deluxe Terrace Villas are beautifully appointed and clean and the grounds are wonderfully maintained. All non-alcoholic drinks in the mini bar are complimentary which is a lovely touch. The food at CasCades is of an exceptional quality and we certainly enjoyed the fine dining experience during out stay.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this resort to anyone.

1 Thank tonywain
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 17 October 2011

My boyfriend and I spent the first night in Nusa Dua and we got Viceroy to arrange to pick us up from Nusa Dua to Viceroy in Ubud. The journey took 2 hours and I'm gladded we are sitting in the comfortable Viceroy’s Toyota Innova instead of some old taxi. We were greeted by the friendly front desk team and finally met Jero, the friendly front desk whom I had been communicating with thru email all this while to arrange the stay in Viceroy. The check in was so smooth that we had confirmed our candle light dinner to spa appointment in less than 15 min at the hotel lobby.

We went WOW the moment we stepped into our villa, the view outside is simply amazing! The room is stunning and luxurious, with the Viceroy “V” logo deco everywhere, felt like royalty living in the middle of the valley! The room is clean and spotless, I have to say there are not many hotel room I'm willing go barefooted in but definitely I had no issue with my villa. Love the small personal touch in the room, the welcome letter from Margaret and the flowers on bed is lovely (it still smell fresh till the day we left!), the daily fruit platter and I have to complement it’s very thoughtful to place bottle water at each side of the bed, easy to reach for in the middle of the night.

Breakfast at CasCades are delicious, all dishes looks so appetizing! Maybe we have gotten used to the breakfast buffet at other hotels, it will be even better if the size of breakfast can be a little bigger. But with the stunning valley view and the amazing service by the staffs, this got to be one of the most enjoyable breakfasts we had ever had. We have our dinner (comes with the package) in CasCades as well… every dish the service crew brought to us is a pleasant surprise. We can feel the passion in the food and the whole dining experience provided by the CasCades team is just memorable.

Spa in Lembah Spa is a must do in Viceroy, this is the best spa I had in Bali. For the past few years I had gotten so used to massaging that a light soft touch will not do anything to relief the ache on my shoulder but Suri, my therapist done a fantastic job with her strong deep tissue massage, I almost fell asleep in the spa session. To end the spa session with the breathtaking over view in a hot Jacuzzi is just simply blissful.

Going around Ubud area is never a issue when staying in Viceroy when shuttle on-demand is always available, the staff is more than happy to take us out to the other ubud area whenever we wanted to and will pick us up with just a phone call away. This is such a bonus service to make travelling easy and enjoyable.

In all, we are happy to chosen Viceroy over all the other hotels. I can still vividly remembered the happy smile on my boyfriend’s face from the moment we stepped into the villa, he totally love the place! It’s not that expensive considering the package we were offered and the excellent hospitality by the hotel staff. Viceroy deliver more than what they promised, not only the room look just exactly like the photos in the website but even better, the staff were always helpful, smiling and willing to make our stay as good as possible. Thanks to Jero for making all the necessary arrangement from room to spa, Gama for fetching us from and to airport safely, it’s so comfortable in the car that we didn’t even feel the earthquake at all and the young gentleman (sorry didn’t manage to get your name) who help us to rearrange our spa appointment and told us about the famous Babi Guling, it was nice chatting with you and all the Viceroy staffs who made our stay in Viceroy so memorable. I’ll be back for sure!

On a side note, Viceroy has the fluffiest towel I had ever hug, feel so pampered whenever using it!

2 Thank Jspn
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 24 September 2011

We had a great stay at the Viceroy last June and I was very happy of choosing this property. It is located outside the busy City centre of Ubud and the free shuttle is running upon request to drop you off or pick you up anywhere in Ubud. We chose a Terrace Villa and we do not regret our choice. They offer great views over the valley since they are located on the upper part of the property. The service was excellent from the time we arrived until our departure. We took the Visa Facilitator Service for our arrival at the airport which expedited the process in a few seconds. We found it good although there was not much crowd at the airport at that time. The property is very well maintained and the furniture and equipment are in excellent conditions. The views over the valley from the restaurant are breathtaking. The breakfasts were amazing and there is a good variety of food, always fresh. We took a package including a Gastronomic Supper at Cascades restaurant plus a spa session and return airport transfers. We were able to get our supper in-villa which was an unforgetable experience. The food was excellent and grand cuisine level. The surroundings of the property offer plenty of possibilities for walks among rice fields. The Viceroy remains a boutique hotel and we felt treated as valuable guests. According to us, the prices for food and beverages were reasonnable that's why we took most of our meals at the hotel. I would recommend the Viceroy Ubud for any stay in Ubud region and I would make it a perfect reference.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Traveling_maple_leaf
Orinda, California
Reviewed 11 September 2011

After a 14 hour flight from San Francisco to Hong Kong and a 4 1/2 flight to Denpasar, we were exhausted. We opted for the police escort from the airport to the hotel (arranged for by the hotel @ $175 US) and it was worth every cent. Denpasar at rush hour is the worst. With the escort with lights and siren, we saved at least an hour of agonizing delay.

The hotel was everything that we expected visually but the delightful surprise was the staff. In all of our travels we have never been treated so well. From the check in to the cleaning and dining room staff and to the shuttle drivers, everyone was gracious without being obsequious.
We were staying for 11 days in a Deluxe Terrace Villa. Initially we were given number 17. It was beautiful, as are all the villas.
After about a week, the air conditioning started acting up. We like the room cool, especially while sleeping, and noticed it had stopped cooling in the middle of the night. We mentioned to the front desk as we were going out for the day and on our return, we were told it was 'fixed'. Except it wasn't. That night it failed again. The next morning, same routine. Received heartfelt apologies and assurances it would be repaired. Upon returning to the villa it was apparent that the A/C was still non-functioning. My displeasure was obvious and made known. We were then moved to Villa 21. The new villa was a marked improvement from 17. Better view (much better), with a prettier blue tiled pool. Had i known of the differences among Deluxe Terrace Villas I would have requested to see all available villas at check in. For our inconvenience we were given a free one hour spa. Nice.

The convenience of the shuttle on demand cannot be overstated. Other hotels we had considered had shuttles but only at set hours. The Viceroy would take you where you wanted to go and when. They would pick you up within 15 minutes of your phone call. The drivers were delightful.

Another big plus is the size and layout of the hotel. Even though it was about 80% full throughout our stay, we had almost no sense of other guests present. A few here and there, but everyone must have been on different schedules because at breakfast or dinner at the Cascades, only a few other guests were ever apparent. We enjoyed several dinners at the restaurant and breakfast almost daily. The a la carte menu offers a great selection and they will gladly augment your choice with no-charge ad ons. Two coffees are offered. Balinese, which is mild and a much stronger, French roast. After a couple of days we simply requested a pot of each and blended them in our coffee cup. Just right!

Room service. How many hotels are left that still offer a full menu room service 24 hours a day? The Viceroy does and it works. One night my wife was not feeling well so we stayed in. We had a light meal in the room. At 3:00 a.m. my wife was complaining of an upset stomach and wanted yogurt, tomato soup and bread. I called room serve and within 20 minutes everything she requested was delivered including hot, fresh rolls.

Despite the glitch with the air conditioning and the inconvenience of having to change rooms, our 11 days at the Viceroy were blissfully wonderful. We look forward to our return.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank hwstein
San Francisco
Reviewed 9 September 2011

Have you ever dreamed about visiting a boutique hotel where you will be in a permanent state of supreme happiness during your entire visit? Where your entire experience will be so blissful that you secretly wish to stay forever in that place? Where the entire team of hotel's staff members want to ensure that your stay is the most memorable experience...ever? Well, Viceroy Bali is exactly this type of hotel where you will discover what a true 5 star luxury experience is all about. I have recently stayed there together with my husband for 3 nights to celebrate my husband's birthday. We have stayed in total of 6 different hotels during our 16 day trip with the goal to experience different locations and various resorts. Viceroy Bali was something completely extraordinary and the best hotel not only out of all the places we visited in Bali but probably out of many places we visited around the world. Simply wow from the very first moment until the very last.

I was choosing among several different hotels around Ubud area and directly contacted each property to find out additional information and ensure that everything would be perfect. You know when you travel around the globe to come to a foreign country to celebrate a birthday, you want to make sure everything is perfect without any bad surprises, disappointments and mishaps. So, Viceroy Bali was already on top of my choice list of hotels before I even considered making a booking simply because I loved the fact that their website provided so much useful information about the resort. I felt they don't have anything to hide or mislead you about...tons of photos and videos about villas in every category along with detailed description of what to expect. Once we arrived to our villa (we stayed in Terrace Villa) everything inside and outside the Villa looked exactly like what you see on their website. (not like seeing a pretty picture on the website and paying tons of money only to find out that your room looks nothing like what was pictured on the website because apparently that was a picture of presidential penthouse.) Nila and Ika promptly answered all my emails (many of them!) and helped me plan a great trip to their resort. (just a side fact: it took 4 days for Ubud Hanging Gardens to return my first email (Viceroy staff already answered about 10 emails from me in that time frame. The Chedi Club would not send any photos of their villas, but encouraged me to trust them that I would not be disappointed (I didn't trust them), and Komaneka would reply to all my emails with general "we are so wonderful" without reading my emails and answering specific questions that I asked.) So Viceroy it was thanks to impeccable, friendly and timely responses from Nila and Ika.

Our Villa was absolutely stunning and I was beyond happy when I walked through the front door and saw a gorgeous Balinese pavilion perched above sparkling clean pool with absolutely AMAZING views of the valley. Words cannot begin to describe this million dollar view that you can enjoy day and night from the privacy of your villa or your Bale or your pool. Absolutely blissful and peaceful! Everything inside the Villa is so luxurious that you feel like royalty. And when I say everything, I truly mean it! There has been so much attention given to designing and decorating the Villa that it always feels like the owners have thought about everything you might possibly need for your 5 star ultra luxury experience. (the resort is run by a family who lives on the property and takes time to meet with all guests to make sure they are on heaven.)

Cascades restaurant was the only restaurant on the property but even if they had 10 other restaurants you would want to eat at Cascades everyday all day. Because it is so delicious! Everything you order (we had breakfasts, lunches and dinners over there) tastes amazing and presented so skillfully that you look at your dish as some sort of artistic creation of deliciousness! Of course we were intrigued and met the chef one day, who took time to share with us his unbelievable passion for food and cooking, no wonder Cascades is so yummy! We saw guests from all over the island drive all the way to Cascades just to taste it. And then they contemplated how to do some more activities in the area the next day so that they can return to Cascades again.

We also tried massage twice, once in the spa and once in the privacy of our Villa. Even though Spa has unbelievable views and all that, I preferred the massage in our Villa because it was done outside on the patio of our Villa, with fresh breeze from the valley, singing birds and trickling fountain from our private pool. I felt much more relaxed than being inside the room at the spa. Both times my husband and I had amazing massage therapists and massage was divine! A real massage, not just rubbing oil all over your body for an hour type of massage.

This hotel is also located just a short 5 minute walk from a local village, so one day we ventured into the village and happened to come during a local ceremony celebration where we were the only tourists yet we felt so welcomed! We met many people in that village who work at Viceroy, all of them introduced us to their families, explained us what is going on, traditions, culture, etc so we felt the entire spontaneous outing to the local village was a special treat. Definitely visit it during your stay, it is literally only 5 minutes walk through beautiful rice fields.

So, in my opinion, Viceroy delivers what it promises - a luxurious, comfortable experience that would make you want to come back and also tell all your friends about it. From the moment you arrive, you would feel like everyone who works there is part of your family. The entire staff is so friendly, attentive and caring; sincerely eager to help you, answer any questions and share insight into their culture and traditions if you are interested to learn. The stay at Viceroy was truly memorable and I would go back to Viceroy in a heartbeat!!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank kismika
Naarden, The Netherlands
Reviewed 5 September 2011

Viceroy hotel is one of the most beautiful hotels I have every been! It is very stylish and yet auhentic. Having my own small balinese pavilion and swimming pool was divine! Stayed there 5 days and was very sad to leave. The staff is wonderful and very kind! Great service! The restaurant is very beautiful but the food could use some improvement. Also missed Indonisian food on the menu.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ubud
The Kayon Resort
The Legian Bali
The Legian Bali
#7 of 143 in Seminyak
Mandapa, A Ritz-Carlton Reserve

Been to Viceroy Bali? Share your experiences!