“Amazing is what I'd say about the Viceroy!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Viceroy Bali

Viceroy Bali
Ranked #3 of 192 Hotels in Ubud
“Amazing is what I'd say about the Viceroy!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

I stayed in villa 5 with my friend and upon arriving we were greeted in typical Balinese style , warm ,friendly with a beautiful Lei put around our necks and a lovely welcome drink in the lobby whilst our rooms were being checked.The villa was beyond our spectations and the view was truly magnificent .staff were on call to attend to your every need with a smile .The bar and restaurant overlooked the Forrest infact the Forrest could be seen from everywhere. This is definitely the place I would want to spend with someone special .the only downside is that it's not cheap !

• Stayed May 2012
3 Thank Bernikins

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

We had a fantastic stay here from the beginning to the end. We stayed in one of the terrace villas and it was one of the nicest rooms we ever had. It was even bigger and more beautiful than we expected. The room was very large with your own terrace and swimming pool and an amazing view on a beautiful green forest. The service was excellent. My wife who is pregnant was looking forward to a Bintang Zero already for the whole holiday and although they did not have it, they immediately arranged it for here. The taxi service from the hotel to Ubud is very convenient so nothing to withhold you form having dinner in Ubud. So if you go to Ubud and you can afford it you shoud stay here.

2 Thank Arnie020
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

My wife and I found this to be a classy property with a great wow factor. The wows and grins keep coming from the moment you step out of the hotel MPV into the welcoming lobby and reception, through to the flowing lower lobby, dramatic infinity pool and marvelous restaurant and bar overlooking dense forest and a flowing river.

The wows continued when we were ushered into the stylish elegance of our Deluxe Terrace Villa - huge room, soaring traditional grass thatched ceiling, delightful amenities like the illy coffee machine and B&W Zeppelin iPod player. The bath area (it’s too large to be called a room) was simply marvelous. I enjoyed the huge long bath and big Grohe rain shower head. Step outside and you see the beautifully styled hanging pavilion or bale, next to the private and surprisingly deep plunge pool with an infinity view over the forest and river below. As you can tell, I could stay here quite comfortably for a long time.
Trips to Ubud were easy with a car service and pick up at your beck and call. For instance, we had dinner at Ibu Rai’s and then asked the driver to swing by Bebek Benggil to pick up a few slices of decadent Black Russian Pie on the way back to the hotel. Nothing was too much trouble, unlike real life, which is something we could get used to!

After a while, we noticed that although nature is all around the Viceroy, it is kept strictly at bay by formidable planning and impressive structures. This is not one of those resorts where you feel as if you are smack in the forest. It’s less raw and visceral and softened by a good dose of luxury.

Any negatives? Well, we had dinner at Cascades on our first night and while the food was enjoyable and well prepared, the environment was almost unbearably hot. I was sweltering and quite uncomfortable throughout the meal. There is no air conditioning, not even a ceiling fan at their only restaurant. I found out that this is quite common in Bali, even at higher end establishments. So if it’s a still and humid night, be prepared!

It’s worth mentioning that there was quite a bit of knocking and construction going on at the Viceroy while we were there in late April/early May. On the first morning, our breakfast reverie was interrupted by up to 2 chainsaws going full bore across the river at about 9am and showed no signs of abating even at 11am. There was also intermittent hammering from the construction of some new villas on the property. These sounds were loud and could clearly be heard even in our villa with the doors closed! With that kind of racket, we needed little encouragement to spend the late mornings and afternoons in Ubud or on day excursions. Even the alluring spa building was undergoing some kind of renovation so massages had to be done in our villa. The massage experience was only so-so as the masseurs seem to be just going through the motions. Relaxing, yes. Special, no.

All in all, we had a good stay and would certainly consider going back but probably after the construction is over.

2 Thank GTan_11
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

My wife booked this via an internet deal, a package for 2, 4D3N at Deluxe Terrace Villa, 1 Romantic dinner, 1 couple spa, and airport transfers - for $1000. Viceroy Bali is situated not too far from Ubud town center (5 mins by car), surrounded by padi fields, and sitting on the ledge of a valley overlooking the other side - a great view, relaxing and undeveloped. It's a small boutique hotel, a fairly small swimming pool, one restaurant, a spa centre, well equiped gym, library with an extensive range of DVDs free to use in your room (if you find the time).
I must say, the hotel is very well built, a lot of attention is given into the layout, design and decor. It's very tastefully done - made us felt really relaxed. It wasn't too crowded when we were there, and so it felt like we were in our very own large bungallow. The room is one of the best rooms I've been in (I've stayed in various 5 star resorts in Asia), large and well laid out bathroom, nice lounging area, high quality AV, great bed, a large balcony with your very own dipping pool, overlooking nature. We spent a lot of time in the room, it's super relaxing. One room for improvement, introduce more nature to the place (apart from mossies), birds, fish, fruit bats... to give it life (create natural habitats for them)

One downside though, when we were there, they were working on some renovations/extensions, and by morning... we'd hear the banging of the works. Well, this is not a permanent feature, but just... bad luck for us.

We had a balinese 2 hour spa treatment in our room, and it's very good. The masseuse very skillful, it felt genuine and I was totally relaxed. It did feel a little bit short though, an extra 15 minutes of kneading wouldve topped it. But, it's still good!

As for the "software" of the place, staff are generally very helpful, responsive and friendly. Most of them speak very good english. However, we couldn't shake off the feeling though, (some, not all), sometimes it didn't feel natural or genuine... it's a strange feeling, and somehow has lost a little bit of the local-balinese hospitality. It felt - programmed somewhat. I think there is room for improvement here.

Viceory has only one restaurant, which is fine, it's a great place to take sip your cocktail and again has an excellent view. However, we were quite taken aback by the quality of the menu and the food served. I think during the day time, the head chef is not on duty, we had the local fried rice and noodles, and it's quite bad. The breakfast served is... also not good (apart from the toast). There is major room for improvement here. Dinner, I must say was much better, and this is how we felt that the head chef is only on duty for dinner. So Viceroy, you'd really need to up your mark here.

Will I come back again? I'm not sure, mxed feelings here - certainly not for the normal rates, I think one can get much better value else where. But if a good deal comes by again, I'll consider it. But if price is not your concern, then this is one place I'd recommend for a quick and relaxing break

Room Tip: All the rooms face the same side with a great view. Perhaps some room may have slightly less privacy...
1 Thank cheo_o
Helensvale, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2012

My wife and I have just returned from a short 3 night break in Bali. We have visited Ubud before but this was our first time staying at the Viceroy. From the moment we arrived and looked out on to the wonderful vista from the reception desk, we felt relaxed and were treated to a brilliant experience. My wife chose a Deluxe Terrace Villa for our stay at the Viceroy. The Villa had everything you required, beautifully styled and outfitted. The King size bed was super comfortable and the shower had the biggest showerhead I have ever seen.
We dined on the first night in Cascades Restaurant, a special meal and our table was surrounded by scattered flowers, very romantic. The food was superb, great flavours and presentation. Our package included breakfast each morning, plenty of choice from the a la carte menu. So nice not to eat from the standard pedestrian buffets most properties serve up.
We had a massage in our room, very good and finished off with a bath, again drowned in flowers. Next time I would have a treatment in the day spa which looks fantastic.
The best part about the Viceroy though is the staff. From all of the drivers, concierge, front desk, restaurant, housekeepers we were treated like royalty. The thing you remember most about Bali is those wonderful genuine smiles from the staff. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff from our special requests. All in all one of the best experiences we have had travelling the world. I would gladly recommend the Viceroy and think that for what you receive it is money well spent. Well done to the wonderful team at the Viceroy.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, fly in or out by helicopter. It will beat the traffic from the airport. We wil...
5 Thank GCSuns
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2012

In our 10-day honeymoon trip in Bali, we stayed in Viceroy Bali for 2 days.
We had a great dinner in Cascades Restaurant in the first night. The food was great and better than I expected. The food I recommend is the lobster soup. It is the best one I tried ever. Though it is a little but expensive, I think the food quality and the staff service still worths it. We also tried breakfast, the set was tasty but just a little big in size, not sure if you could finish them all :D
We lived in Regal Villa 1. I don't think I need to describe in details because everything is just perfect. I did enjoy naked swimming many times inside the villa.
I am highly appreciated with the service provided. I could always have shuttle pickup within 15 minutes since I called for it and when I get back to my room, the hotel staff has already prepared warm bath for me (the water temperature is just perfect).
If you plan to live in Ubud, I suggest you might try Viceroy Bali.

Room Tip: Villa inside Viceroy Bali is built on the mountain slope and Regal villa 1 (the one I lived in) is l...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank bawongfai
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

We spent 3 nights and 4 days on a honeymoon package and had booked a Terrace Villa, (#2).
In fact, we were trying to select between kamandalu and viceroy and what bowled me over were the prompt email responses by the staff.(Subrata and Eni) . Both were extremely courteous and detailed in the responses as I bugged them no end for months before hand. Once we reached the Denpasar airport, we were promptly attended to, as promised. The hotel was extremely beautiful. Unfortunately my wife fell ill on the very first day and we immediately got some tablets from the staff.The romantic dinner @Cascades was excellent as were the ala carte breakfast, though I believe the setting for the dinner could have been a bit more romantic with the use of some extra candles or such accessories.Also, the breakfast might benefit from a few more menu items.
The spa @Lembah was also very good, however we wanted to have the spa upstairs but had to do it indoors,so make sure you book beforehand.
The service was excellent, and so were the drivers. Margee took us to the temples and he was extremely courteous and
knowledgable. We were really sad to leave.Definitely recommended!
Some advice for ladies: Since the rice paddy fields are just adjoining , there's a healthy feed of lizards, spiders etc,especially if you keep the doors open, but no roaches thankfully. Even saw a small snake outside on the 4th day.
The hotel does it best to keep them at bay, but sometimes, they can't be avoided, so be prepared.

Room Tip: Try to go as further as possible from the spa/restaurant if you want more solitude. So, ideally you...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ubud
The Kayon Resort
Jamahal Private Resort & SPA
Amori Villas
Amori Villas
#5 of 192 in Ubud

Been to Viceroy Bali? Share your experiences!