“Completely Beautiful and Perfect!”
Review of Viceroy Bali

Viceroy Bali
Ranked #10 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 28 May 2012

It's a little bit scary wondering why Viceroy isn't #1 on Trip Advisors Ubud Hotel list. How could anything actually be any better than this lovely place? Is it because it isn't as old or established as some of the other resorts and therefore I should keep quiet so I'll always be able to book here? It was so wonderful I can't really keep it quiet, especially as the staff, facilities, rooms, grounds, view, day spa and restaurant deserve to have their excellent abilities commended to the rest of the world. We had the most perfect holiday based here. We were in a deluxe terrace villa and ensured we spent at least one day lounging by our own private pool and bale. We booked a day tour with the hotel and spent a fantastic day with Ruka our driver and guide. After which we were grounded enough to book a scooter from the hotel and went native with the Ubud traffic. Very fun and we explored everywhere, however I would recommend only an experienced rider to do the same. Breakfast and dinner at the Cascade restaurant was excellent. We enjoyed two romantic dinners with our own private menu surrounded by petals in the shape of a heart. We also booked two 2 hour treatments at the Lembah day spa, one hour of massage the rest with a body treatment followed by a soak in a beautiful flower filled bath. Can't wait till we return .......

Room Tip: Terrace villas 1-5 or Deluxe villas 17-19 appear to have the best views up the ravine.
3  Thank 2780Hilltop

Reviewed 24 May 2012

My friend and I have just returned from the Viceroy Ubud. We found the place was absolutely perfect. The staff were very attentive and polite and the breakfast and food all round was excellent and top quality.

We had a Deluxe Terrace Villa with twin beds, a beautiful plunge pool, which was sometimes a little cold, but that was because of the month and the weather. The Spa was one of the most relaxing and the staff had great sense of humours, and very attentive and caring to our needs. .

I would thoroughly recommend this Hotel to anyone who wants a relaxing and quiet time for their holiday. The carts were fabulous as the property is very hilly and they are at your beck and call 24 hours a day. I say well done to Otto and Margaret. They have indeed created a beautiful and relaxing haven in a quiet and serene situation, with one of the best restaurants in the world.

Room Tip: The Deluxe Terrace Villas were perfect
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank MausieBullCreek
Reviewed 22 May 2012

I stayed in villa 5 with my friend and upon arriving we were greeted in typical Balinese style , warm ,friendly with a beautiful Lei put around our necks and a lovely welcome drink in the lobby whilst our rooms were being checked.The villa was beyond our spectations and the view was truly magnificent .staff were on call to attend to your every need with a smile .The bar and restaurant overlooked the Forrest infact the Forrest could be seen from everywhere. This is definitely the place I would want to spend with someone special .the only downside is that it's not cheap !

• Stayed: May 2012
3  Thank Bernikins
Reviewed 22 May 2012

We had a fantastic stay here from the beginning to the end. We stayed in one of the terrace villas and it was one of the nicest rooms we ever had. It was even bigger and more beautiful than we expected. The room was very large with your own terrace and swimming pool and an amazing view on a beautiful green forest. The service was excellent. My wife who is pregnant was looking forward to a Bintang Zero already for the whole holiday and although they did not have it, they immediately arranged it for here. The taxi service from the hotel to Ubud is very convenient so nothing to withhold you form having dinner in Ubud. So if you go to Ubud and you can afford it you shoud stay here.

2  Thank Arnie020
Reviewed 14 May 2012

My wife and I found this to be a classy property with a great wow factor. The wows and grins keep coming from the moment you step out of the hotel MPV into the welcoming lobby and reception, through to the flowing lower lobby, dramatic infinity pool and marvelous restaurant and bar overlooking dense forest and a flowing river.

The wows continued when we were ushered into the stylish elegance of our Deluxe Terrace Villa - huge room, soaring traditional grass thatched ceiling, delightful amenities like the illy coffee machine and B&W Zeppelin iPod player. The bath area (it’s too large to be called a room) was simply marvelous. I enjoyed the huge long bath and big Grohe rain shower head. Step outside and you see the beautifully styled hanging pavilion or bale, next to the private and surprisingly deep plunge pool with an infinity view over the forest and river below. As you can tell, I could stay here quite comfortably for a long time.
Trips to Ubud were easy with a car service and pick up at your beck and call. For instance, we had dinner at Ibu Rai’s and then asked the driver to swing by Bebek Benggil to pick up a few slices of decadent Black Russian Pie on the way back to the hotel. Nothing was too much trouble, unlike real life, which is something we could get used to!

After a while, we noticed that although nature is all around the Viceroy, it is kept strictly at bay by formidable planning and impressive structures. This is not one of those resorts where you feel as if you are smack in the forest. It’s less raw and visceral and softened by a good dose of luxury.

Any negatives? Well, we had dinner at Cascades on our first night and while the food was enjoyable and well prepared, the environment was almost unbearably hot. I was sweltering and quite uncomfortable throughout the meal. There is no air conditioning, not even a ceiling fan at their only restaurant. I found out that this is quite common in Bali, even at higher end establishments. So if it’s a still and humid night, be prepared!

It’s worth mentioning that there was quite a bit of knocking and construction going on at the Viceroy while we were there in late April/early May. On the first morning, our breakfast reverie was interrupted by up to 2 chainsaws going full bore across the river at about 9am and showed no signs of abating even at 11am. There was also intermittent hammering from the construction of some new villas on the property. These sounds were loud and could clearly be heard even in our villa with the doors closed! With that kind of racket, we needed little encouragement to spend the late mornings and afternoons in Ubud or on day excursions. Even the alluring spa building was undergoing some kind of renovation so massages had to be done in our villa. The massage experience was only so-so as the masseurs seem to be just going through the motions. Relaxing, yes. Special, no.

All in all, we had a good stay and would certainly consider going back but probably after the construction is over.

2  Thank GTan_11
Reviewed 11 May 2012

My wife booked this via an internet deal, a package for 2, 4D3N at Deluxe Terrace Villa, 1 Romantic dinner, 1 couple spa, and airport transfers - for $1000. Viceroy Bali is situated not too far from Ubud town center (5 mins by car), surrounded by padi fields, and sitting on the ledge of a valley overlooking the other side - a great view, relaxing and undeveloped. It's a small boutique hotel, a fairly small swimming pool, one restaurant, a spa centre, well equiped gym, library with an extensive range of DVDs free to use in your room (if you find the time).
I must say, the hotel is very well built, a lot of attention is given into the layout, design and decor. It's very tastefully done - made us felt really relaxed. It wasn't too crowded when we were there, and so it felt like we were in our very own large bungallow. The room is one of the best rooms I've been in (I've stayed in various 5 star resorts in Asia), large and well laid out bathroom, nice lounging area, high quality AV, great bed, a large balcony with your very own dipping pool, overlooking nature. We spent a lot of time in the room, it's super relaxing. One room for improvement, introduce more nature to the place (apart from mossies), birds, fish, fruit bats... to give it life (create natural habitats for them)

One downside though, when we were there, they were working on some renovations/extensions, and by morning... we'd hear the banging of the works. Well, this is not a permanent feature, but just... bad luck for us.

We had a balinese 2 hour spa treatment in our room, and it's very good. The masseuse very skillful, it felt genuine and I was totally relaxed. It did feel a little bit short though, an extra 15 minutes of kneading wouldve topped it. But, it's still good!

As for the "software" of the place, staff are generally very helpful, responsive and friendly. Most of them speak very good english. However, we couldn't shake off the feeling though, (some, not all), sometimes it didn't feel natural or genuine... it's a strange feeling, and somehow has lost a little bit of the local-balinese hospitality. It felt - programmed somewhat. I think there is room for improvement here.

Viceory has only one restaurant, which is fine, it's a great place to take sip your cocktail and again has an excellent view. However, we were quite taken aback by the quality of the menu and the food served. I think during the day time, the head chef is not on duty, we had the local fried rice and noodles, and it's quite bad. The breakfast served is... also not good (apart from the toast). There is major room for improvement here. Dinner, I must say was much better, and this is how we felt that the head chef is only on duty for dinner. So Viceroy, you'd really need to up your mark here.

Will I come back again? I'm not sure, mxed feelings here - certainly not for the normal rates, I think one can get much better value else where. But if a good deal comes by again, I'll consider it. But if price is not your concern, then this is one place I'd recommend for a quick and relaxing break

Room Tip: All the rooms face the same side with a great view. Perhaps some room may have slightly less privacy...
1  Thank cheo_o
Reviewed 9 May 2012

My wife and I have just returned from a short 3 night break in Bali. We have visited Ubud before but this was our first time staying at the Viceroy. From the moment we arrived and looked out on to the wonderful vista from the reception desk, we felt relaxed and were treated to a brilliant experience. My wife chose a Deluxe Terrace Villa for our stay at the Viceroy. The Villa had everything you required, beautifully styled and outfitted. The King size bed was super comfortable and the shower had the biggest showerhead I have ever seen.
We dined on the first night in Cascades Restaurant, a special meal and our table was surrounded by scattered flowers, very romantic. The food was superb, great flavours and presentation. Our package included breakfast each morning, plenty of choice from the a la carte menu. So nice not to eat from the standard pedestrian buffets most properties serve up.
We had a massage in our room, very good and finished off with a bath, again drowned in flowers. Next time I would have a treatment in the day spa which looks fantastic.
The best part about the Viceroy though is the staff. From all of the drivers, concierge, front desk, restaurant, housekeepers we were treated like royalty. The thing you remember most about Bali is those wonderful genuine smiles from the staff. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff from our special requests. All in all one of the best experiences we have had travelling the world. I would gladly recommend the Viceroy and think that for what you receive it is money well spent. Well done to the wonderful team at the Viceroy.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, fly in or out by helicopter. It will beat the traffic from the airport. We wil...
5  Thank GCSuns