“Wonderful Honeymoon”
Review of Viceroy Bali

Viceroy Bali
Ranked #9 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 8 December 2013

We really enjoyed our honeymoon at the Viceroy Bali in Ubud. The staff were very welcoming, friendly and helpful throughout our stay, with good attention to detail. On arrival we were offered an upgrade to a larger apartment, which was such a lovely surprise. It was luxurious, with its own pool and pagoda, kind size bed and spacious living space (you are not overlooked at all). The hotel itself has fantastic views across the forest and a very attractive infinity pool. We enjoyed breakfast, lunch and dinner at the hotel and all food was up to a high standard. We did wish, however that there were more Balinese dishes on the dinner menu (although it was clear that the restaurant was predominantly French). We enjoyed a special night at the hotel which showcased Balinese dancers and a great menu, which was a highlight.

Other highlights included a free shuttle service to and from Ubud (a great cultural town with lots of restaurants and craft shops), free bike hire so that we could explore rural Ubud from the hotel (got lots of great photos of the paddy fields, etc), petal bath on our last night and the cocktails (Lychee Martini was a favourite). We couldn't recommend this hotel enough to you if you are looking for a luxurious honeymoon with an exclusive feel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CharlotteMcE

Reviewed 4 December 2013

I feel a bit bad not giving the guys at The Viceroy 5 stars but I've just seen the bill on my Amex.

Fantastic hotel that you could just never leave. The restaurant was fantastic and the chef superb - coming to see us at the end of our meal and asking if there was anything in particular we would like to eat could we let them know in the morning. The breakfasts were great. The staff were lovely and the custom tour was superb.

It was bloody expensive though!

1  Thank DrDougster
Reviewed 20 November 2013

where to start …

My wife and I wasted 2 precious night at this overrated hotel.

We arrived at the hotel after a night at Kayu Manis Private villas in Nusa Dua, where we enjoyed and pampered by Kayu Manis's hospitality.

We arrived at the lobby of Viceroy Hotel with the hotel's shuttle, we proceed to the reception, BUT , the first words I received upon my check in was : ' How can i help you?'

Well, we came with your hotel's shuttle to your hotel lobby and the lady receptionist asked me , how can i help you? Well, should i reply her that we came for a job interview ? or should I tell her to rephrase her welcome note to at least : ' Welcome to Viceroy, Mr …'

Luckily the front desk manager, Mr Puca ( if i m not mistaken) was really helpful, in fact , he is the only well trained personal in this overrated 5 stars hotel. He greeted us and we checked into over villa with a little delay.

THE SPA, We took a 2 hours spa treatment, one hour is complimentary from over room package. Base on their website description, this is a world class , out door spa where you could enjoy your treatment open air. Don't worry my friends, if you use the spa you will never enjoy that privilege at all. Indeed , the therapistS, only 2 of them, never even smile during the 2 hours treatment. I m from malaysia , I could understand what they are chatting during our treatment, basically , they are discussing how to charged us for the treatment. I mean, we spend so much money to enjoy our treatment , and what their need to do is concentrate on our treatment and we will pay whatever we should pay, thats is not need to discuss the payment during the treatment, We felt like they frighten that we will not pay them after the treatment.

The treatment is indoor, even though the spa is empty, no other customer, no open air spa treatment. The hotel provides complimentary jacuzzi and sauna, which located within the spa, but you need to make an appointment to use the facilities if they is no other customer using the spa for treatment. To make it short, bad attitude of the staffs and bad treatment, the treatments are costly but you can find better spa in ubud town area which only costed usd 10.

The restaurant, pricey but the food tasted like a fast food restaurant. But I have to say, I did complained the standard of the food to the restaurant manager, a gentlemen from France. He accepts my complain and did deducted the main course of my wife from the final bill, which is a reasonable touch as the food is really terrible. The service, is bad compared with other same standard restaurant. the staffs are not well trained besides a young man Mr Agong.

In Kayu Manis private villas and spa Nusa Dua, all the staffs know your name, including the cleaner, wherever they meet them , they know your name .In viceroy, is completely opposite, 95% of they staff don't know your name, what they knows is smile at you. I mean you have less then 30 villas in your hotel. How hard to remember all your guests' name?

We booked a private tour guide which costed us 160 usd for 8 hours, they price is higher that other hotel i asked e.g. Nusa Dua/ Hanging tree . However , we took the price is fine if we could get a professional tour guide to introduce us around Bali.

On the morning of the tour, we found out that the tour guide is the driver of the hotel shuttle ! and with the hotel shuttle we will be having our tour. Ok , we can still accept that if the driver is professional enough, but the whole trip , what he did was driving the car ! We asked him to bring us to a shop where we could buy local foods as a present to our family. he brought us to a shop, we bought lots of local foods , but found when we reached home that the food are all expired or not in good condition. Bad bad arrangement by the hotel.

Lots more bad experiences during our stay in viceroy. I wished we werent there. The two night we spent there is bad if not horrible.

My opinion is that , they doesn't care about the service, everything there is about money money money. What they want is money, and money only. I don't think they care about review or return customers, their purpose is the to take whatever money they can from the guest.

In Nusa dua the breakfast in our villa is FOC( room rates is 400 USD pernight). in Viceroy they charged USD 5 'delivery fee' to have your breakfast at villa ( room rates is 750 USD). I mean why USD 5 ? I wouldn't be so upset if u charged me 40 USD, but why 5 USD ?

So why the service in Kayu Manis Nusa Dua is so much better then the service in Viceroy ?

My conclusion is Kayu Manis is managed by a chain hotel corporation , where as the viceroy is a family run 'overrated', 'badly manage' , '5 stars' hotel. I wonder anyone in the family have any experience or qualification in hotel management.

Maybe what they have is money , but without any common sense and management skills.

They only purpose to run the hotel is to earn money and not about service , definitely doesn't care about the guests experience in their hotel.

Unless you have plenty of cash to splash for nothing, try avoid this overrated hotel at all cost. they are plenty of hotel around, try Kayu Manis.

Lastly, do not get attracted by the hill side views of this hotel, it is nothing special, just trees and thats it, it doesn't worth a trip .

3  Thank Yeennung
Reviewed 18 November 2013

The most beautiful and peaceful place I have ever stayed in in Bali. The location is amazing and the staff could not do enough to ensure my stay was perfect. I enjoyed a spa treatment which is a must, and the meals at Cascades Restaurant are to die for. I highly reccommend a stay here.

Room Tip: Book a deluxe pool villa - the private pool overlooking the valley is pure luxury.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 November 2013

The Viceroy Bali is the most beautiful Hotel I have ever stayed in. Mu husband and I were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary and this was the perfect location. I have done a lot of travelling and visited many places around the world, but this hotel by far has to be one of the most magical places I have had the privilege of staying in. The privacy, tranquility and over all experience is truly perfect if you are in need of relaxation and pampering.
Each and every detail of this amazing hotel is a credit in so many ways.
The hotel has everything you could need, and your stay can be tailored to suit any wish or requirement.
The restaurant offers exquisite cuisine, the spa offers beautiful treatments my massage was unbelievable.
The rooms have high speed wireless Internet through out the property, access to a gym, my own private pool and oasis, and complimentary shuttle service to and from Ubud.
The hotel is safe, secure, and pure luxury a must see for anyone traveling to Bali or wanting to experience a holiday you will never forget.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Pool Terrace Villa.
1  Thank CHEROKEEWW
Reviewed 11 November 2013

This hotel is exceptional. The rooms are stunning and very private - perfect for a couple's retreat. The staff go out of their way to provide exceptional service. The restaurant is amazing with the best breakfast in Bali. My only regret would be not getting a terrace villa because not all of the villas directly overlook the valley.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 November 2013

...Took my wife here for her 50th 'surprise' birthday treat. In short summary i got this one right & lots of bonus brownie points.
I can't fault the place, great location, great food, great accomodation amplified with lots of smiles from great staff. I am not surprised to see so many good reviews and look forward to returning. If i was being supercritical the ambience of the spa could be improved, but still the massage was great. Highly recommended if you want a special break.

• Stayed: November 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ubud
The Kayon Resort
The Samaya Bali Ubud
The Legian Bali
The Legian Bali
#7 of 148 in Seminyak

Been to Viceroy Bali? Share your experiences!