“The Best of the Best of the Best”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Viceroy Bali

Viceroy Bali
Ranked #6 of 195 Hotels in Ubud
Toronto
“The Best of the Best of the Best”
Reviewed 6 July 2009

When my husband and I decided to go to Ubud we wanted to stay in a great hotel. What I found confusing when reading reviews is trying to figure out where the hotels were relative to the town of Ubud and which ones were truly the best. After reading loads of reviews we settled on Viceroy. I could not have made a better choice.

From the VIP service at the airport (make sure you request this), to the friendliness of the staff, to the location, to the extraordinary accommodation and superb food, this is the Best of Bali. We had a Terrace Villa which I would highly recommend over the garden villa. Everything about the room, plunge pool, bathroom and the public spaces of the Viceroy are exceptional.

I am in the hospitality business so I wanted to see other hotels in the area. We hired a driver for two days and one of those days we spent touring other hotels. All of them were very nice but were truly not as good as the Viceroy. I think it is important to point out that almost all of the hotels are not located in Ubud but instead are located in very serene, quiet, gorgeous locations. Ubud is very busy, very noisy and not all that wonderful except for the shopping. All of the hotels will offer good shuttle services. Here's my summary of the hotels that we visited.

-Four Seasons Bali at Sayan - pretty setting but noisy with the whitewater rafters who seem to be going by screaming on the half hour
-Kupu Kupu Barong - great spa room in the mango tree but accommodation not as good as Viceroy
-Amandari - beautiful setting - better than 4 seasons and quieter. If you can afford the villa, it is out of this world but comparable priced accommodation to Viceroy were not comparable. Also visited Amankila which is an absolutely gorgeous setting on the Indian Ocean.
-Kamandalu is very close to Viceroy and seemed lovely but not as intimate as Viceroy (which only has 11 rooms)
-Semana Villas - nice paddy views but a little run down and in spots smelled of sewage and also a long drive from Ubud
-Komaneka at Bisma - lovely accommodation but strange location down a rundown narrow road (although you could walk into town from there if you wanted.) Also did not like the food there (we had lunch).
-Komaneka at Monkey Forest - right in town if that is what you are looking for. Again, this place had a sewage smell as you were walking towards the pool.

In conclusion, I can't recommend Viceroy high enough. The food is fantastic (we ate there twice because it was so good.) We also ate at Mozaic which was supposed to be the best of Ubud but we found Cascades at Viceroy better.

We have travelled all over the world and stayed at some of the best properties imaginable and I can say without hesitation that you can not do better than Viceroy.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Toronto

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 4 July 2009

I don't think that writing a review will show and express how amazed am I! My stay at The Viceroy was something out of this world. I really felt that I own the whole world. There was nothing in my whole stay that disturbed me or I found it inconvenient at all.

First, my booking was for a honeymoon package in the terrace villa for 3 nights which I booked directly from the resort by contacting them by email (Nila was the one responsible for this, whom we found at the front desk on our arrival =) ). The first amazing thing was that Nila gave me a 30% discount so I got an awesome price!

The package included a VIP immigration process, and it really was. When we arrived at Denpasar airport, an employee from the airport authority was holding a sign with my name, then he took our passports and asked us to follow him. The amazing thing was that we passed the LONG queue line just by a wave from the mentioned employee to the immigration employee. Then he took 50 USD for me and my wife and it was less than 5 minutes and our visas were ready! (It took my brother about two hours to finish it be his own when he came the last year!).

Then there was another employee from the hotel itself wearing the Balinese traditional wear (the Sarong) who took all our baggage and directed us to the car. He was professional and took care of us, and of course, smiling all the time (although he did not speak English very well, but his smile was enough for me :)!). He gave us the cold towels and cold water once we rid into the car.

After the 40-minutes ride to the hotel, the reception greeted us for our honeymoon and gave us the welcome drink and also cold towels with the Balinese aromatic flowers around our necks. I found later that the lady in the reception was Nila :). The first thing that really AMAZED me in the viceroy was that we were upgraded to the biggest villa that they have (The Viceroy Villa) with the hotels compliments and best wishes, and this was because we were newly married!! That's absolutely amazing!

The buggy car took us to the villa, driving into the breathtaking views of the greeny Ubud! The villa had two bedrooms, one main room with a king-size bed, and another with two beds. The swimming pool was great with the small fountain which you control with a remote control! As our villa was the one at the bottom of the resort, it had the best view on the river and the forest!(the resort is organized on more than one level, it's like it's built on a steep mountain).

The staff were always helpful, smiling and willing to make your stay as good as possible. We had the option of American, Continental, Pancake or Indonesian breakfast to be served either in the privacy of the villa or in the restaurant (The Cascades). We also had an unforgettable candle-lit dinner. Their food in general is delicious and on high standards. We also had a 2-hours spa treatments which included 15-minutes foot wash and massage, a 1-hour Balinese massage and 30 minutes body scrub then head and face massage, ending with a floral bath in the bathtub.

The buggy service was always a matter of a phone call and it's in front of the villa.

I know I would keep writing and writing about this hotel, but I better stop and end my review with my highest recommendation to stay at this hotel especially if you are looking for a relaxing stay. The last thing to say, the hotel price is high, but it's really worth it. :)

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank URDeAD747
Sydney
Reviewed 28 June 2009

Outstanding!
----------------

The Viceroy Bali offers a VIP immigration service which is defiantly worthwhile, you are greeted by their representative as soon you enter the terminal who quickly & efficiently escorts you through immigration, luggage collection & customs avoiding all the queues & hassles. The Viceroy car & driver are waiting for you when you exit the terminal with cool towels & refreshments.

The trip to Ubud takes about 45 minutes, the car is luxurious, comfortable & the driver explains many of the interesting things about the Balinese culture & lifestyle along the way.

Upon arrival you are welcomed with flowers & mocktail, the check-in is effortless & immediately you feel like you are part of the Viceroy family.

We stayed in the two bedroom Viceroy Villa which overlooks a beautiful valley & had traditional Balinese carvings, huge swimming pool, LCD TV with DVD player, a generous sized four pillar wooden bed, fully stocked mini bar, ample clothing room, air conditioning, spa bath & a water fall in the bathroom. Not to mention the outstanding sized shower.

The staff complement this wonderful resort with their attention to detail weather it is the turndown service putting homemade chocolate truffles on your pillows or the concierge who organizes the golf buggy if you don’t feel like walking from your villa to the restaurant or spa.

The food is truly outstanding & the chef can cook anything you feel like on or off the menu, I celebrated my birthday in the restaurant & was treated to some fantastic company from the family owners. They truly went beyond the call of duty to ensure I had the experience of a lifetime that I shall never forget.

Whilst on my vacation my wife & I experienced a personal guided tour of the volcano, white water rafting, elephant riding & of course the famous monkey forest.

I was treated to a four hand deep tissue massage in the luxurious day spa located next to the restaurant, I highly recommend this as a must when visiting the hotel.

The Viceroy is unlike any other Hotel for privacy, relaxation therapy treatments, cuisine, staff knowledge of the area, the plain service which is provided by the whole staff & not to forget the owners of the Viceroy are there for any special requests you may ask of them.

Nothing is too difficult, too trivial, no request dismissed & thrown in the too hard basket. Where other Hotels have let me down, this Hotel has excelled.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mbrain007
Sydney
Reviewed 14 June 2009

Is there a word or words that truly describe the sanctuary that
Viceroy is? Absolutely, defiantly not.

It has been twelve months now since my magical stay at the Viceroy,
Ubud and magical it was. With no corner over looked, from the finest
of fine dining, elegant and luxurious facilities, a truly breathtaking
and unforgettable place. I really felt like it was something out of a
fairytale.

I just cannot forget how such a refined resort had me feeling like I
was still at home. Staff we family not staff and always smiling. It
was great to be able to be in such a luxurious place and not feel
uncomfortable relaxing at the bar in bikini and towel, going to dinner
in a little sundress barefoot…. What a holiday should be, comfortable
and relaxed.

In my travels I have stayed in some of the most recognised properties,
both boutique and international chains, not one of them have come
close to taking my breath away like the Viceroy, it still feels like
yesterday.

I feel that Viceroy has truly captured the heart of the Balinese people.

During my stay when I was not enjoy drinks by the pool, letting my
taste buds be tantalized with lavish meals or just treating myself to
a massage I watch the sunrise on top of mount Batur. This is a must,
even if you have to be woken up at 3am!

I could write for hours on all the little treasures I found during my
stay, bars, restaurants, shops, villages, sunsets at Ku De Ta but no
words or pictures could ever do it justice. One thing I will say,
there is no match for the cuisine, cocktails, view and service
‘company’ found at Viceroy’s CasCadeds Restaurant.

Viceroy, my home away from home…..I miss you Viceroy :)

• Stayed June 2008, travelled solo
2 Thank gt666
Singapore
Reviewed 31 May 2009

This is our second honeymoon and I must say it was perfect .

Viceroy Bali is 5 mins away from Ubud town centre but surrounded by beautiful padi fields and its villas are located the edge of a hill.

We stayed in Garden Villa and the room is spacious yet cosy . The bathroom is the biggest I have ever seen! There is also a small pool , good for dipping on a hot day . Unlike some resorts that I have stayed in Bali , this resort is not only clean but very well maintained. Breakfast is alcarte , but very sumptious and delicious which can be served at your villa or at the Cacades restaurant.

The conceirge are also very helpful and well equipped with local knowledge . Transportation to town by the hotel, back and forth is always very fast and efficent.

We also rented bicycles from the hotel to view the padi field surroundings and mingle with the friendly locals . After that , we had a relaxing and good massage at the Lembah Spa.

We had a great time at Viceroy and certainly hope to come back to this paradise again!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ssdl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ubud
The Kayon Resort
The Kunja Villas & Spa
The Kunja Villas & Spa
#2 of 143 in Seminyak
Jamahal Private Resort & SPA

Been to Viceroy Bali? Share your experiences!