“worlds away from your real world”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Viceroy Bali

Viceroy Bali
Ranked #6 of 195 Hotels in Ubud
sydney
“worlds away from your real world”
Reviewed 2 August 2009

The unique feeling you get from the Viceroy and its wounderfull but almost invisable staff is amazing we often were left with the feeling that we were there only guests,such a luxury is very rare but also very pleasing 'you can spend three hours by the pool at the Viceroy alone doing absolutely nothing, and it will be the best thing you will ever do for yourself in your life'
mcwhite

Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank konggolf

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Los Angeles
Reviewed 23 July 2009

We chose Viceroy because we wanted a boutique close to Ubud center and our own plunge pool...plus we heard 4 Seasons is in need of renovations. In a word, Viceroy was fantastic. Very elegant and tip top service, surrounded by jungle and rice patties. Plus, free wireless internet around the entire hotel and free local transportation.
VILLA - We were in Villa 7 which had a huge, comfortable bed, a massive open bathroom and plenty of living space. Keep the bathroom lights off (or dim) at night to keep the bugs away. We wound up not using the plunge pool bc it was freezing and our villa didn't get direct sunlight after 8:15am.
FOOD - The food was outstanding. A la carte breakfast was included and came with choice of entree, fruit, tea or coffee, a delicious array of breads. We also enjoyed both our lunch and dinner. It's much cheaper to eat around town, but you won't go wrong eating at the Viceroy. Plus, they have a traditional Balinese dance certain nights.
SERVICE - amazing. Very attentive staff. They drive you to the town of Ubud (5 minutes away) AND pick you up! That was a huge plus for us. One night I asked our waitress at dinner if she gets bitten by mosquitoes; she laughed shyly and then, without me even asking for it, returned a minute later with bug spray. Very sharp.
SPA - amazing spa and amazing setting. definitely take advantage of it
NEGATIVE - only negative we could come up with is you can't get sun after 1 or 2pm in your villa or at the pool. If they cut down 1 or 2 palm trees by the pool, they would get perfect afternoon sun. Also, the hotel charges $100/day for sightseeing tours. Friends from the US suggested we use an indie driver which we did for $50/day. He was fantastic and you can email me if you want his info. Only caveat (which he acknowledged) is the hotel offers a nicer car.

4 Thank LATraveler13
Reviewed 23 July 2009

We had a great time at the Viceroy. The grounds were beautiful, there were great views from the villas and the main areas, the service was great, and everyone was really nice. It was very quiet and we never saw too many people around, although they were fully booked while we were there (there are only 11 villas, I think?). Also, the location is great because it's only about 10 minutes from the center of town.
We stayed in a Garden Villa but I wish we had stayed in the Terrace Villa. The Garden Villa was very nice - super clean, everything was immaculate and well-appointed - but the Terrace Villa has the bale and a better pool. Our pool was practically in the bathroom and it was very cold so we really couldn't use it. I think the layout of the Terrace Villa was much better. That being said, we got a great deal on our room. Unfortunately, all the rooms only get morning sun for a brief time because of the way they're facing. That was a little disappointing. And the one thing I would ask of the hotel is to cut down a tree or two so you get sun at the main pool in the afternoon! Other than that, it was a great stay.
Also, we had an awesome driver named Dewa. I got his name and info from another tripadvisor reviewer who stayed at The Viceroy. He was really great. He took us to a lot of interesting places - galleries, coffee plantation, temples, elephant park - and he spoke English really well. He was very flexible and took us wherever we wanted. He answered all of our questions (we had a ton!) about Bali and the Balinese people so we got to learn a lot, too. He was so nice and if you go to Ubud, you will need a driver, so I highly recommend him. Please contact me for his number and email. He was the best!

4 Thank wheats19
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 17 July 2009

This hotel is excellent!
The rooms, facilities,restaurant, staff were exceptional.
We loved our week here in paradise and look forward to a return visit.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank DebJD
UK
Reviewed 17 July 2009

We stayed in Terrace Villa 3 for three nights. Very spacious rooms... beautiful views. Nice terrace for sitting out on. Quite a spacious pool which was in the sun for the morning.

The staff were great and the shuttle into Ubud more or less on demand was a definite plus.

The restaurant was supposed to be good....at least it had good reviews...
However menu seemed quite traditional and a little on the heavy side... no salads or soups for lunch and we went into Ubud to eat every night.

Wifi internet in the room was quite slow and kept going off but didnt really matter.

We got an excellent rate at the last minute and would definitely stay here again

3 Thank culturallattice
Toronto
Reviewed 6 July 2009

When my husband and I decided to go to Ubud we wanted to stay in a great hotel. What I found confusing when reading reviews is trying to figure out where the hotels were relative to the town of Ubud and which ones were truly the best. After reading loads of reviews we settled on Viceroy. I could not have made a better choice.

From the VIP service at the airport (make sure you request this), to the friendliness of the staff, to the location, to the extraordinary accommodation and superb food, this is the Best of Bali. We had a Terrace Villa which I would highly recommend over the garden villa. Everything about the room, plunge pool, bathroom and the public spaces of the Viceroy are exceptional.

I am in the hospitality business so I wanted to see other hotels in the area. We hired a driver for two days and one of those days we spent touring other hotels. All of them were very nice but were truly not as good as the Viceroy. I think it is important to point out that almost all of the hotels are not located in Ubud but instead are located in very serene, quiet, gorgeous locations. Ubud is very busy, very noisy and not all that wonderful except for the shopping. All of the hotels will offer good shuttle services. Here's my summary of the hotels that we visited.

-Four Seasons Bali at Sayan - pretty setting but noisy with the whitewater rafters who seem to be going by screaming on the half hour
-Kupu Kupu Barong - great spa room in the mango tree but accommodation not as good as Viceroy
-Amandari - beautiful setting - better than 4 seasons and quieter. If you can afford the villa, it is out of this world but comparable priced accommodation to Viceroy were not comparable. Also visited Amankila which is an absolutely gorgeous setting on the Indian Ocean.
-Kamandalu is very close to Viceroy and seemed lovely but not as intimate as Viceroy (which only has 11 rooms)
-Semana Villas - nice paddy views but a little run down and in spots smelled of sewage and also a long drive from Ubud
-Komaneka at Bisma - lovely accommodation but strange location down a rundown narrow road (although you could walk into town from there if you wanted.) Also did not like the food there (we had lunch).
-Komaneka at Monkey Forest - right in town if that is what you are looking for. Again, this place had a sewage smell as you were walking towards the pool.

In conclusion, I can't recommend Viceroy high enough. The food is fantastic (we ate there twice because it was so good.) We also ate at Mozaic which was supposed to be the best of Ubud but we found Cascades at Viceroy better.

We have travelled all over the world and stayed at some of the best properties imaginable and I can say without hesitation that you can not do better than Viceroy.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Toronto
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 4 July 2009

I don't think that writing a review will show and express how amazed am I! My stay at The Viceroy was something out of this world. I really felt that I own the whole world. There was nothing in my whole stay that disturbed me or I found it inconvenient at all.

First, my booking was for a honeymoon package in the terrace villa for 3 nights which I booked directly from the resort by contacting them by email (Nila was the one responsible for this, whom we found at the front desk on our arrival =) ). The first amazing thing was that Nila gave me a 30% discount so I got an awesome price!

The package included a VIP immigration process, and it really was. When we arrived at Denpasar airport, an employee from the airport authority was holding a sign with my name, then he took our passports and asked us to follow him. The amazing thing was that we passed the LONG queue line just by a wave from the mentioned employee to the immigration employee. Then he took 50 USD for me and my wife and it was less than 5 minutes and our visas were ready! (It took my brother about two hours to finish it be his own when he came the last year!).

Then there was another employee from the hotel itself wearing the Balinese traditional wear (the Sarong) who took all our baggage and directed us to the car. He was professional and took care of us, and of course, smiling all the time (although he did not speak English very well, but his smile was enough for me :)!). He gave us the cold towels and cold water once we rid into the car.

After the 40-minutes ride to the hotel, the reception greeted us for our honeymoon and gave us the welcome drink and also cold towels with the Balinese aromatic flowers around our necks. I found later that the lady in the reception was Nila :). The first thing that really AMAZED me in the viceroy was that we were upgraded to the biggest villa that they have (The Viceroy Villa) with the hotels compliments and best wishes, and this was because we were newly married!! That's absolutely amazing!

The buggy car took us to the villa, driving into the breathtaking views of the greeny Ubud! The villa had two bedrooms, one main room with a king-size bed, and another with two beds. The swimming pool was great with the small fountain which you control with a remote control! As our villa was the one at the bottom of the resort, it had the best view on the river and the forest!(the resort is organized on more than one level, it's like it's built on a steep mountain).

The staff were always helpful, smiling and willing to make your stay as good as possible. We had the option of American, Continental, Pancake or Indonesian breakfast to be served either in the privacy of the villa or in the restaurant (The Cascades). We also had an unforgettable candle-lit dinner. Their food in general is delicious and on high standards. We also had a 2-hours spa treatments which included 15-minutes foot wash and massage, a 1-hour Balinese massage and 30 minutes body scrub then head and face massage, ending with a floral bath in the bathtub.

The buggy service was always a matter of a phone call and it's in front of the villa.

I know I would keep writing and writing about this hotel, but I better stop and end my review with my highest recommendation to stay at this hotel especially if you are looking for a relaxing stay. The last thing to say, the hotel price is high, but it's really worth it. :)

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank URDeAD747
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ubud
The Kayon Resort
The Kunja Villas & Spa
The Kunja Villas & Spa
#2 of 143 in Seminyak
Jamahal Private Resort & SPA

Been to Viceroy Bali? Share your experiences!