“BE CAREFUL!! RESORT WILL SCAM YOU.”
Review of Viceroy Bali

Viceroy Bali
Ranked #11 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 27 July 2010

This resort attempted to steal nearly $3,000 from me.
I was planning a wonderful trip for my honeymoon this last July. Viceroy Bali was one of my top picks, so I made reservations in February. Later, we find a better deal in Fiji, so we decided to go with that trip. I not only called the resort to cancel my reservations, but sent a letter and fax to follow up. This was in May.
On July 15th, during our trip in Fiji, I see a charge on my account for the full amount I originally was going to pay at viceroy bali (not cheap!). In fact, it wasnt even the full amount - it was over $200 more than the original reservation. I was furious, and tried everything I could to speak with a manager or someone who could straighten this up. I sent emails, copies of my original letter, and to no avail they would not remove the charge. In fact, they were downright [--] about the situation. I was forced to call my bank, put a stop charge on the payment, and have the bank go after the resort. What is even more odd, is that the bank told me the charge was made by a Bali grocery store. The whole situation is sketchy, and I expected more from a 5 star resort.
I don't recommend them in the slightest. Rude, unhelpful, arrogant, and oh yeah - they scam you.

Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
34  Thank viking011
ViceroyBali, Director of Sales at Viceroy Bali, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2012

This guest was refunded in full and this review is not accurate...

But please understand when booking that Bali is an international destination for most of our guests, so when we receive a last minute cancellation of a booking the villa usually goes unoccupied, this is why we have to have a cancellation policy which is...
• Cancellation 15 days or more prior to arrival = No Charge
• Cancellation within 14 days of arrival = 1 Nights Charge
• Cancellation within 96 hours of arrival or no show = Full Charge

In some cases cancellations happen with extenuating circumstances and in most of these cases we allow the guest to rebook the room at no extra cost.

The Viceroy Bali trades under the company name Pt Lembah Maharaja (name of the valley where we are located) and on credit card statements is appears as such and as a hotel.

There are newer reviews for Viceroy Bali

Reviewed 20 July 2010

This hotel is a sparkling gem set in a beautiful setting on Bali. Form the minute you drive in near the paddy fields to the moment you leave, there is a very special air of calm and almost zen-like serenity.

I stayed for just one night but will be back soon as it was a really special experience. Great, lavishly appointed rooms, superb food, a wonderful pool, a spa complex beyond description and a view that is just heaven. Can I say more - the setting and the tasteful way the accommodation, food and service have all been put together is just perfect.

I met the owner/manager, Andrew, and he has dedicated so much of his personal energy to this family run business, it is a pleasure to see the success of this hotel.

They even offer a free shuttle any time to the nearby town of Ubud - great for paintings, crafts and evening jazz. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone seeking a very special, calming, romantic or carefree time. Spot on!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2010

During a trip to Bali earlier this year, a family friend surprised us with a one-night stay here. I have stayed in a lot of top tier hotels during my business trips during my working days, and this place now joins the list. I didn’t expect to have a private pool in the villa, which was a surprise. The shower and huge bath tub are separate so that was nice too. Breakfast is served “any time before lunch” and we could have it in the villa if we didn’t want to go to the restaurant. We really liked the mini coffee machine in the room, like those you see in the bar. This is not something you see often in other five-star hotels. There was also a mini chiller that had non-alcoholic drinks in cans and small packets of milk. The family who owns and manages the hotel were always around for a quick conversation. This was definitely one of our highlights of our Bali holiday.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2010

There are reviews that go around and talk about places being heaven on earth etc. All i will say is that this place is a step ahead of what you want. They never lurk or badger you... it's just done. Its there. They make everything so easy. And you will want for nothing. I've stayed in a lot of really very nice place. This is the most wonderful place on earth. Worth every penny. Just trust me.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank freddiepowell
Reviewed 5 July 2010

Our first visit to Bali so wasn't sure what to expect. Read some of the previous reviews on this hotel and was a little troubled to hear about the building work going on. However, their website looked fantastic and it was the best looking of all the hotels we trawled through on the internet. So we decided to book a Terrace Villa away from any noise and received a reply from the hotel to say they would make sure we had such a villa. We need not have worried, there was little if any noise from the building work.

On arrival we were taken to our villa, Viceroy Regal II; we had been given an upgrade. I wasn't too sure it I wanted this upgrade as we were at the bottom of the slope. However, there were buggies to take you to the restaurant on call any time; we walked up each day however. The villa was glorious and the bathroom stunning. The views of the gorge were amazing and we were even treated to the monkey display (wild ones) on our last night followed the following morning by the monkeys coming to the hotel side of the gorge and playing in the tree in front of our villa.

The hotel staff were amazing and both treatments I had at the Spa were great. As it was a big birthday celebration we went for the degustation dinner paired with wine on my birthday . Everything was just perfect and the hotel produced a lovely birthday gateau which I shared with the other hotel diners. A memorable experience and one I couldn't fault.

The attention to detail and the personal service are what makes this hotel special and when the owner showed us around the new villas going up we were delighted to have a snoop. It was very defficult to drag yourself away from this hotel, such beautiful surroundings and so relaxing, but you do need to get out once or twice just for a dose of reality. After 6 days here it was sad to leave.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 June 2010

Found the hotel through Small Luxury Hotels website. Stayed in Terrace room. Very comfortable and large bed. Great view from the pavilion at the swimming pool. Very luxurious and comfortable. Will come back again.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Mr_Anderson74
Reviewed 22 June 2010

We stayed three nights in the Terrace Villa #1. It's the villa where the website video was taken. We were very impressed with the staff , facilities, restaurant and most of all the ambiance and view. A few specifics:
Airport VIP clearance. We had our bags and were through immigration in less than 5 minutes.
Made, our personal concierge who also functioned as our driver/interpreter was wonderful. He was very patient as we were unprepared without our customary guide books and phrase books of the local language. He arranged a hand off on our final day meeting my business partner requiring a three language discussion and rendezvous. He stuck with us until everyone was together. Very cool and comforting.

We spent one whole day with Made touring the volcano, local dance performances, and craft markets. His advise in the craft markets were invaluable.

Other than that one day we found it difficult to leave the grounds. We had breakfast and dinner each night at the restaurant. We often had plans to have dinner in UBud but the service and the cuisine made it difficult to spend the additional effort for an unknown restaurant in town. That was a bit lazy but we were taking a break in the middle of a business trip and saw little upside in going elsewhere.

The Terrace Villa 1 has the best views looking up the valley to the north. We found the pool, bale benong, and patio completely private allowing us to discreetly sun each morning and to truly treat it as our extended villa.. The pool was heated and was at a comfortable refreshing temperature and would likely be warmer had there been more sun when we were there. Plan on sunning in the mornings as this is the only time you will have direct sun on your patio. There is slightly more sun on the main pool lasting until early afternoon.

Construction: We heard very little construction noise. Nothing could be heard from our villa as the water features and the design of the hotel prevents noise from traveling between villas. We did take a walk in the early morning hours and viewed the newly constructed villas now 90% complete. They appear slightly larger with a much larger swimming pool approximately 6 X 15. there orientation would allow more sun into the early afternoon.

Plan on watching the the monkeys across the valley each evening. They are the wild version of the moneys you see begging or stealing food at the money forest. I suggest you simply drive by the monkey forest parking lot to see them up close and then watch them at a distance in their true habitat from your villa.

Looking at our bill upon checkout we were surprised to find that we spend less than $725 per day at the hotel including the villa, breakfast each morning, an afternoon at the spa, and dinner each night with an expensive bottle of wine. That is a fraction of cost we paid for similar hotels of this quality. See my review of Jade Mountain in St. Lucia which I feel was comparable.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank easy_does_it_2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ubud
The Kayon Resort
The Legian Bali
#7 of 147 in Seminyak
The Samaya Bali Ubud
Mandapa, A Ritz-Carlton Reserve

Been to Viceroy Bali? Share your experiences!