“Luxury in the Jungle”
Review of Viceroy Bali

Viceroy Bali
Ranked #9 of 196 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 14 October 2010

My husband and I stayed for 5 nights in a garden villa at the Viceroy in July. The rooms are beautiful, the staff is very friendly, the grounds seem like something from a dream. It was impressingly bug-free considering we are in the middle of the jungle. We turned our lights off at 10pm to decrease bugs in our bathroom. Our only negative comment about the room was that it would often smell like stagnant water or an old plant. As we had so many other issues (will discuss in section below) we chose not to tell the staff this and hoped it would eventually air-out, which it did not. But, otherwise we absolutely love the Viceroy and found it amazing.

Connectivity to the outside world
One of my husband's deals "blew up" during our stay and he ended up needing to call clients and work on the internet for a large part of our stay. For those who unfortunately need to know about connectivity to the outside world, my husband's mobile phone reception was spotty. I think it has to do with the cloud coverage. Just one level up in the villas (terrace villas) it looked like it worked perfectly. So as his second option, he tried using the villa phone to call out of the country. The staff was very helpful trying to get this to work for us, but it took awhile to get this set up in our room. Eventually, my husband just got his secretary to call our villa to conference him into any calls. Internet speed was very good and pretty reliable. The router broke in the middle of our stay (each villa has its own router) but the staff was very quick at fixing this. As the Viceroy is not a business hotel, I felt they were very accommodating to trying to create a mini-office for my husband.

Spa
The spa has rooms for 2 ppl which is nice. We did a 2 hr treatment each. Our conclusion on the massage itself was that it was pretty good, but not amazing. What was a total standout was the lulur (flower bath). It was extremely lush and they had the flowers arrange in a design in the water! When I was doing research into Bali spas I did not see any lulurs with that many flowers! It was so nice. The staff was also very polite in letting us play in the flowers for a longer amount of time. They told us to be in there for about 10 min and I think we were in there for about 20-30min and they never interrupted. The next steps were a jacuzzi and steam room which we actually have at our place so we did not spend that much time in those areas thus still finishing on time.

Cascades
We also did the tasting menu. It was very good. Its a great change from the local restaurants and is very romantic. The staff was amazingly attentive. A bug landed on the table and the waitress profusely apologized. I thought it was pretty funny as we are in a jungle. It's pretty insane to expect no bugs to come our way in the open air restaurant, especially since they gave us a great table right at the front of the balcony. That said, I don't recall any other bugs visiting us during the 2 hr tasting.

Breakfast
Room service breakfast every morning was great. I don't think we got bored with the selections until the last day. This is saying much as I am not really an egg fan thus I quickly get bored with egg dishes. As we slept in each day, it was great to have the breakfast brought to our room as our "wake up call." Perhaps we are just big eaters, but we eventually started ordering an extra entree each day (we liked the pancakes but they were really little for a breakfast so we got them as well on the side). It was very reasonably priced (I think 5USD) and we would just graze on this as we hung around our villa.

I also should mention that they have a free DVD and book library which is a nice touch. Overall, a great place!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,110)

Reviewed 21 September 2010

My husband and I stayed here for 7 nights. We chose the Viceroy for its quiet and stunning location and 5 star service and accomodation. Overall, we had a lovely time however there were a few things which I would not expect from a hotel which claims to be of such a high calibre. My husband and I have stayed at many 5 star hotels in the world and this did not really compare. I would recommend staying here for a shorter time (2 nights) to make the most of the location and then in a truely 5 star resort the rest of the time.

The location, as other reviewers have suggested is stunning and makes a welcome change from staying by the beach, which is what most people expect of Bali. We stayed in a Terrace villa which was wonderful - spacious, nicely decorated and clean. The pavillion and pool are wonderful and are what make the villa accomodation - just lovely having an afternoon nap outside overlooking the forest. We did not have any problems with frogs or other wildlife as other reviews suggest and actually found the villa to be relatively bug-free. The staff are great and Made in particular took good care of us. The hotel also offers a free shuttle service into Ubud town which is another great offering as we were able to each out in different restaurants each night and not have to worry about getting back.

We arranged a couple of day trips through the hotel which, whilst expensive, were worth it. The spa treatment was great, we had a couples treatment and then I went back for additional treatments - all were very good.

What let this hotel down was on the last day of our stay, there was a wedding taking place at the hotel. We were notified whilst we ate our breakfast that morning and were assured that it would not disturb us. As it was our last day in Bali, we chose to spend the day relaxing by the pool and in our villa, making the most of the view and quiet surroundings. This was not to happen....the wedding kicked off at 11.00 and by 13.00, all guests had had a few too many drinks and we could hear kareoke etc from our villa. Around 16.00, all the guests moved on to a couple of the villas and the partying continued, very loud, noisy, drunken and completely spoiled our last day. We complained to the front desk but nothing was done, not even an apology or complimentary drinks offered. I understand that the hotel has to make money and cannot refuse a lucrative wedding booking, however I would have expected to be told about this when I checked in so that we could have easily changed our itinery around so that we were not in the hotel during the festivities. Given the price the Viceroy charges, this is unacceptable.

Other reviews complain about construction noise, we were in one of the villas on the opposite side so could not hear anything in the day. What was disappointing however was not being able to sit beside the main pool as that is right next to the construction and there are construction workers going back and forth and staring, not a nice experience.

Whilst I would recommend staying here, only stay 1 or 2 nights, not any longer, there are nicer hotels in Bali!

3  Thank min10000
VBGM, General Manager at Viceroy Bali, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2010

Thank you for your review of our hotel and staying with us.

I agree:
- We don’t have any problems with wildlife or insects and we do our best to keep it this way.
- The location and the views from the villas are stunning, we also make sure everything is kept clean and in good order.
- The staff are kind genuine and sincere with their interaction with guests.
- The day tours are worthwhile, I personally think they are reasonably priced considering you get a nice car and driver / tour guide.
- The spa treatments are great.
- The free shuttle to and from Ubud is very convenient for guests.

Firstly I apologise about the wedding and I would have done it sooner and offered you the drink had I known your complaint. The front office should have informed me but they did not.
This was a very unique situation as we do not have many group bookings, most of our guests are couples.
It puts us in a difficult position as the wedding guests were also our guests and we wanted to make their special day the best possible for them, they did their best to book out all the rooms but we only had 10 villas available for them, I think for a few hours in the middle of the day and early afternoon is acceptable but you should have been informed in advance so you could have shuffled your plans but the rowdiness of the wedding group was unexpected.

Since you stayed with us we have actually finished the construction of our 4 new Deluxe Terrace Villas. We took guest feedback and our observations over the past 5 years to design and build our new villas this in combination with the availability of better materials in Bali make them very nice villas.

I disagree about the length of stay, I see most guests arrive quite stressed and ridged and it takes them the first 2 days to relax and unwind then they can enjoy themselves.
Most of our European and American guests stay for about a week and even up to a month and they really enjoy it.

Reviewed 18 September 2010

We stayed here for three nights during a two week holiday in Bali. Words hardly begin to describe the amazing time we had here. We stayed in a Terrace villa, which had a small Balinese pavilion overlooking the valley. The view was beautiful and it was so peaceful. The room was also more spacious and cozier than we expected. We always felt as if we were the only two people around as if we were having our honeymoon again. It was a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 September 2010

Both my friend and I went for a two night stay at the Viceroy and wished we could stay for another two weeks!
The location is great and the food is stupendous. The staff is helpful and happy, always obliging. In fact I had an unexpected party and the hotel supplied the utensils and even picked up the food for us!
The owner, Otto is great fun and a wonderful host. He took us around his property and made sure we felt welcome.
Only one issue- the rooms are really not meant for friends who have problems baring their all i.e. going nude. There is no privacy afforded to those that need to change or shower in private unless you kick the other person out of the room or ask them to wear a blindfold. We stayed in the Garden Villa and all of the villas come with a private dipping pool and outside showers. The sleeping area flows out onto the lounge where the dipping pool, dining areas and day bed is located. Only the toilet is private so most times we had to disappear into the toilet to change. Another thing was the dipping pool is not heated, so jump in with caution!. We were told it was heated and at 11:30pm my buddy jumped in. She came up with chattering teeth. Given that we were told it was a heated pool, we thought they failed to turn on the heater. We called the reception and they said they were sending over a maintenance guy. We waited in our wet suits and after 20 mins their guest relations officer came to say their maintenance person had left for the night. I was annoyed because they could have told us the maintenance guy have left rather than kept us waiting in our wet suits.
Nevertheless, there is no perfect holiday so this slight issue fail to mar the overall delightful experience we had at the Viceroy. I am definitely going back for more pampering in the future.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 September 2010

We spent four days and three nights in Ubud for a company management retreat. The surrounding is very different from Kuala Lumpur, and the rooms of the Viceroy really let us enjoy the scenery to its best. Another reason why we chose to have the retreat here was the availability of a conference room. We used the wireless (and fast) Internet and video projector (which was really good quality). There was also a speaker conference phone but we didn’t use it. What we really liked was the conference table. It is very sturdy and made from dark wood and there was space to sit 14 people although there was only 5 of us. The room had air conditioning too, a necessity for those of us who don’t like feeling sweaty in the tropical heat. Some of us had our spouses with us and the concierge arranged activities like seeing the sights of Ubud and spa treatments at the hotel’s spa when we were busy with meetings. On our last night, which happened to be Saturday, the hotel organised a Balinese dance that was performed as we had dinner at the restaurant. The food was excellent and there is such a large selection of wines to choose from. After dinner, we wanted to check out a shisha lounge in Ubud. Although it was already late, the hotel still arranged a driver and vehicle for us. It was a highly enjoyable retreat for us. Thank you to Anthony and the staff for making everything possible.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 August 2010

We booked the Viceroy as a reward to ourselves for my 40th birthday and it completely lived up to expectations. We stayed in Terrace Villa 2 and loved it so much we wanted to move in!

Meals at Cascades were delicious and the spa was also a great experience. Otto, Nila and the front office staff were a wealth of information and good humour, helping us to organise our activities and our daily yoga instructor Ketut (also fantastic and highly recommended). They genuinely cared. The combination of activities and relaxation was just what we wanted but the villa really made our stay with the private pool, gazebo and even a coffee machine!

As everywhere in Bali, the price of wine was shocking but this is not particular to the Viceroy. Yes, the hairdryers were lacking but this is a small thing. The team there listen intently to feedback so I expect to see this improve very soon. I wavered during booking when I read other reviews about the building works but I can reassure that they are very discreet and don't interfere at all with a wonderful luxury holiday experience. The Viceroy really made our trip to Ubud something very special. We'll go back.

Reviewed 16 August 2010

My husband and I stayed for 4 nights in Viceroy Bali for our Honeymoon. I was expecting a lot from this Luxurious 5 star hotel, however, I have to admit that it was not our best selection. I wouldn't say it was a total disaster, but there are many poor points that I need to point out.

- We stayed in a villa called "Viceregal 2," but we could hear the TV noise and the conversation of guests from our next door villa SO CLEARLY!!! We had to call the recepetion to turn off the TV and stop talking every night we tried to sleep. It was around 11PM and I don't think the guests were too loud but every little conversation could be heard due to the structure of villa. So we were too scared to turn on the TV or make a bit of a noise because we knew that the next door would be able to hear us. We also heard construction noise during the day when we wanted to stay in the villa.

- Viceroy is surrounded by giant forests, yes the view is beautiful, but you cannot avoid nature. Frogs were jumping in and out from our pool every morning, and we had to ask for service to take out the frogs from our pool. AND WHAT IS WORSE, the frogs laid eggs in our pool.... I didn't realize it until I jumped into the pool when I felt the slimy black....arrrghhhhh!!!! It was horror. Also, lizards were crawling on the ceiling of our villa! DON'T forget, frogs and lizards are just EVERYWHERE.
-The hair dryer was old style and was not useful.

- The SPA quality was poor. The girl kept pinching me with her nails. Or else she kept rubbing my back which felt like nothing.

I chose this small luxurious hotel because I was seeking for privacy and quietness, but it didn't work out. The hotel was crowded with people everywhere just like ordinary big hotels.
They're even trying to add more villas and I'm sure the situation would be even worse.

Good point is....
The staff was always friendly
The restaurant food was delicious!

Next time I go to Bali, I would not stay here. Maybe just visit the restaurant.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple