“Modern boutique villas with great shuttle service, great service though inconsistent...”
Review of Viceroy Bali

Viceroy Bali
Ranked #9 of 200 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 3 February 2011

This is my 2nd time staying in Ubud. Viceroy had made my 6 trip pleasant. Let me share with u the pros and Cons.(I am checking out in a couple of hours, still in my comfy bed in viceroy)
Pros-
1. When I emailed them directly, they were very quick to respond... In fact they immediaty offer me a package that included a dinner for 2 ,a 2hr Spa Package for 2, small bottle of Moet, and VIP immigration services and airport transfers. The offer was quite irresistible, so I book the new Delux Terrace Villa.
2. At the airport, our names we held at the end of the airbridge before immigration, our passports were stamp bypassing all queues that's great, except that we were greeted by only one officer but he had to attend to another family as well, so even though we pass the queue and collected our luggages, we had to wait around for 10mins or so to clear customs with the family which was really unfair as the officer paid full attention to them while we were neglected, we even had to look for him. Viceroy driver came promptly later and pick us up gave us cold towels and water which was great, we even manage to stop at Ibu Oka 2 on our way to the hotel, excellent!
2. When we check in we realize we r upgraded to Vice Regal villa, one tier above what we paid for. The room was in good condition, some tired furniture, but overall in ok condition.
3. The Spa is Excellent... We had 2 massages there and they were great but the spa was a little noisy u could hear people talk n walking around, so I strongly recommend that u request it to be done in yr villa.
4. Somedays they service was good. Somedays average. Really depends who's on shift to pick up yr call. Sometimes I have to keep reminding them to bring in more bottles water as I need it for my medication... Somedays they need to be reminded.
5. The restaurant staff was fabulous and the food's Excellent! All of them were really attentive n well trained, they even prepared us a special local menu on our last night cos we were to lazy to move.

Now the Cons
1. I have ranidaphobia(frog phobia), there are like 3 resident frogs here , so I didn't dare swim during the night, they only come out in the night.... And many colourful mid size iguanas as well... The landscaping outside is just very dated with random pots n ferns and an old tree... There's also not much of a view here compares to Kupu Kupu Barong and four seasons which was about the same rate.
2. I already mentioned about the inconsistent service here... Only the restaurant didn't let me down.
3. I will recommend this hotel if u are not into great views cos the rooms r definitely more modern... Really wish the staff would have done something about the frogs but they just say they will not harm me and I really had a hard time time explaining to them about my phobia so I just didn't go out of my room
during the night after 2 nights of explanation.

• Stayed: February 2011
Write a ReviewReviews (1,121)

Reviewed 20 January 2011

My wife and I had one of the more personal and romantic stays at this hotel over New Years. The spa is very well done and not to be missed. The food at Cascades is good for dinner, not great, but the inclusive breakfast (get the benedict) with fresh squeezed juices and local coffee is outstanding.

We did have one hang up, which was actually mentioned in a separate review, and that was the construction of two new villas on the property. Management responded stating that it was to be completed end of summer but this was simply not the case. We really enjoyed our stay and loved the two owners, who are actually onsite checking in on your stay throughout, but the noise from the work next door was overwhelming and took away from the tranquility of the setting.

We want this hotel to expand so more people can experience it, but knowing that the Christmas - New Year run is one of the busiest of the year, we couldn't understand why ownership wouldn't hold off construction a few weeks thereby completing it in the low season.

Overall this is a wonderful place to call home for a few nights with a friendly staff and ownership.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 January 2011

We spent our four days here in Viceroy, and during our stay we were visited other luxury resorts as well, but Viceroy has the best service and amazing ambience, fantastic kitchen, witch present continuously the same standard. The owners Otto and Margaret keep their eyes on the resort all the time, and they make a really good job! They know what makes a different from a 5star to luxury. It's all about to serve guest and make them happy from all aspects. Wonderful, thank you so much...

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank llovelife
Reviewed 13 January 2011

We stayed at the Viceroy for 3 nights in January 2011. Loved our stay there and would definitely recommend the hotel. Great location and impeccable service while we were there! Nothing but total relaxation, which is what we needed!

Arrival - We paid for the VIP immigration service at the airport ($25 USD/person), which I think was definitely worth it. There was a man holding a sign with our name when we entered the airport. He walked us past the long immigration line and took our passports to get our visas while we waited for our luggage. It probably took a total of less than 15 minutes to get out of the airport, which was great after the long trip to Bali. He walked us to our driver, who had cold towels and water waiting for us. The driver was great (unfortunately I am horrible with names and didn't catch his). He was very friendly and told us all we wanted to know about Bali on the ride to the Viceroy. It took about 1 hour to get from the airport to the hotel.

Room - We originally booked a terrace villa. At check-in we learned that we had been upgraded to the Viceroy Villa (which is their presidential villa). The room was gorgeous! It was a 2 bedroom villa with private pool and outdoor living room in between the bedrooms. Even though it was just my husband and I, they gave us the keys to both rooms. Both rooms were beautiful - the master had a king size bed and the second bedroom had 2 beds (I think twin size). The minibar was stocked with soda, juice, water, etc. All of the non-alcoholic beverages were free, which was a nice touch. There was also a coffee machine with plenty of coffees and teas. There was always fresh fruit waiting for us in the room when we returned. The view from the room was amazing.

Location - The location of the hotel is great. It is not right in the center of Ubud so you feel like you are at a secluded, relaxing resort. The hotel has a free service where they take you into Ubud and pick you up whenever you'd like. It was only about a 10 minute drive. We had the driver take us to Ubud one day from some shopping and then we had the restaurant call them to come pick us up. It was quick and easy and a great service they offer.

Food - Breakfast was from an a la carte menu that had everything from eggs benedict to chocolate crepes to Indonesian fried rice/noodles. You chose the entree and it would come with a plate of fruit, some croissants, juice, coffee and tea. I got the fried rice every day (my favorite I had in Bali). My husband tried the crepes and other entrees and liked those. We tried the Indonesian tasting menu one night for dinner and weren't that impressed. The other night we had a 3-course set menu (grouper for my husband and duck for me). We thought that was just okay. Generally, we weren't that impressed with the dinners at the restaurant and thought they were a bit pricey for what we received. We did go to Ubud to try the suckling pig at Ibu Oka. My husband loved it and wanted to go get it every day.

Spa - We did 1 hour Balinese massages at the spa one day. The next day we did a 2 hour treatment that began with a massage, then scrub, then yogurt wrap and flower bath. I usually love the spa, but this was the most disappointing part of the hotel for me. It felt like they didn't use enough oil and they were just rubbing my skin to the point where it hurt. Maybe I'm just not a fan of the Balinese massage style but I didn't really find it to be relaxing. Massages are so subjective based on what each person likes so don't let this turn you off from trying it...you might like it more than I did!

Service - I do want to mention the impeccable service at the Viceroy. They are always happy to help with anything you want. One day we were doing the bike tour with Banyan Tree and needed to leave at 7:15. The restaurant doesn't open for breakfast until 7:00 but they were happy to open early for us to accomodate our schedule! We chose to just have them make a breakfast box for us and they included tons of fruit and croissants and pastries. They were happy to arrange anything we needed from spa treatments to yoga appointments, etc. Definitely an A+++++ to the staff for their attention to detail!

Departure - We were going to Alila Villas Uluwatu after the Viceroy and we arranged transportation with Alila for our departure. The departure was easy and fast and we were genuinely sad to leave the Viceroy.

Hope this helps! We loved the hotel and the staff was great. We'll be back here the next time we're in Bali! Thanks!!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PradaLuggage
Reviewed 19 December 2010

I've never experienced this level of luxury at such a low price. Hard to beat.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 December 2010

Thank you to all the wonderful staff who made our Honeymoon an Amazing experience. We stayed in a pool villa and would definitely recommend everyone to have this fantastic experience. The view from our room or from the private pool was amazing over looking the Forrest we even got to see a few monkeys playing in the trees. The bed was sensational & we slept so well not like any hotel we have stayed at. The Food was an experience in itself complements to the chef! The overall property is Exactly as the net show it to be.......the manicured gardens, the infinity pools words cannot describe this picturesque location. The day spa facility was out of this world "The Cleopatra Treatment " was awesome! I cannot fault the Viceroy in any way all I can say is see you next your for our 1st anniversary. Thankyou LeRoy & Tyra Walker Australia

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 November 2010

This is a beautiful hotel, great staff fantastic service and beautiful rooms a free shuttle bus into ubud makes its location fantastic. I would definately recommend it.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple