“Hotel from hell - awful, awful place”

Pande Permai Bungalows
Ranked #179 of 198 Hotels in Ubud
london
“Hotel from hell - awful, awful place”
Reviewed 22 July 2012 via mobile

Booked this hotel from hotel booth at Denpasar airport so unfortunately didn't see the terrible reviews! Our room was over priced, old, smelt bad, the sheets were wet and the third bed we requested was actually a large faux leather sofa cushion, and the sheet was too small for it so it kept on pinging off in the night. The toilet roll did not get replenished as previous people have mentioned. When we asked for this to be done it was not and so we had to go and get it ourselves when we realised. Archaic television and furniture, the bathroom sink was leaking. The air con in our "deluxe" room hardly worked. The breakfast was pretty poor. On the plus side we had no bugs!! Do not stay here, I would not ever stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed 16 July 2012

I loved the atmosphere of this family hotel. The staff were helpful and friendly. My room was beautiful, huge, and clean, with a spacious balcony overlooking a majestic palm and the rice fields. From the other window I could watch the monkeys careening about in the forest. It was fabulous. The pool was great. I ate in an excellent Indonesian restaurant next door. I couldn't have been happier.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are great. Mine looked out onto the rice fields one way and the monkey forest the othe...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed 9 January 2012

This hotel was a great surprise for us! It was absolutely amazing! Our room was spectacular, with great view, big terrace, enough space to make you fell as comfortable as possible, spacious bathroom.
The service was ok, they had some difficulties with English but in-between their English and our Indonesia Bahasa we understood each other. They’re friendly and always offering their help. They’ve recommended us a place to rent the scooter and where to find a driver for a day to get around and get to see the most of Ubud and surroundings. Breakfast was ok, choice of pancakes or toasts, and fresh fruits juice. We had the best time there. They cleaned the room on daily basis. Location is great, so close to the Monkey Forest. The pool is clean and water is warm even by night, so if you want to go for a swim in the night, this is the place. I strongly recommend everybody to stay there: it is an oasis of relaxation and quality time.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nukanuk
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 26 December 2011

Worst hotel I stayed at in Ubud. The first room I was taken to smelt like urine, and much to my horror, my bed was soaked in a wet puddle of urine. The second room I was taken to had human faeces splattered on the walls and on the toilet. Disgusting. Figured I could just stay one night, but as I sat on my bed, hundreds of flying bugs started to crawl out from the bamboo bed...they had a nest there. I had paid for one night in cash, but the staff refused to give me my money back. They suggested I move to another room and pay an extra Rp200,000. After I had already paid the equivalent of $40. As a journalist, I have stayed in some bad places. But this takes the cake. DO NOT STAY HERE.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank KK S

Travellers are raving about these Ubud hotels

Australia
Reviewed 22 November 2011

We stayed here for 4 nights and I have stayed here for several nights 3 years ago. I've seen probably about 8 hotels around Ubud and I think this place is great. Handy location, quiet, nice rooms. Sure the manager is pretty cold and I wouldnt trust her but the other staff are friendly and helpful. I've stayed in the cheaper room (US$25) and also the medium priced room ($40) and I thought they were both really good for the price. Definitely worth a look in my opinion.

Room Tip: Rooms with the balconies are the way to go
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Flaxseed1000mg
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 26 October 2011

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights (22nd- 23rd Oct 2011), in the Suite (Asia Room), it was the worst hotel i have ever stayed!

1. The staff were dishonest! As we didn't drive, the manager offered us a taxi transportation to Kuta at 200,000 IDR for each person (that was super expensive, the reasonable price should be~ 100,000), we refused and then asked other staff for shuttle bus booking when he was absent. On the day we left, this manager asked us to wait for the shuttle bus at the entrance, the bus will come to pick up us at 10:30am. However, we waited for more than 15 mins and then saw 2 shuttle buses passed the hotel entrance without stopping! Then I asked him to confirm the booking, he then asked me to take a taxi to the shuttle bus office! Of course we didn't take his taxi but took another with the price at 100,000 IDR per person. The taxi driver told us there should be a receipt given to us if the shuttle bus was booked. That meant the manager didn't book that shuttle bus for us, he just wanted us to return for his expensive taxi ride when we found the shuttle buses didn"t come to pick up us.

2. The room was very very dirty. Ants and bugs were all over the room, ants went into the tub when we are taking shower, and some even trap in our toothbrush!!

3. There was running out of toilet paper everyday, they won't give you a new roll if you don't request.

4. the doors were old, we could not open and close them easily, might have damaged them if we didn't ask for help

5. the air conditioner was weak, we felt hot for the whole night. The fan was noisy.

There are many good hotels/ hostels in Ubud, please choose anyone of them besides this one!! Don't waste your money!! Don't let it spoil your trip in Ubud!!

Room Tip: There are many good hotels/ hostels in Ubud, please choose anyone of them besides this one!! Don'...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Wing Ying M
Koror, Palau
Reviewed 24 September 2011

My husband and I were thoroughly disappointed with our experience at Pande Permai. The only positive thing worth noting is staff member Diu...she was wonderful. Although most other staffers were friendly, I can't say they were very accommodating.

Cons…definite negatives:
1. Breakfast was lacking and led much to be desired. American breakfast was composed of one egg, 3 pieces of white bread (with one slab of butter and one serving of jam) and three small pieces of "fresh" fruit that were not at all fresh and in fact inedible at times. Banana pancakes…which were not bad…also came with inedible fruit. No coffee or tea refills, no water provided and glasses for self-serve drinking water were filthy. Staff didn't clear tables, clean tables nor even really cater to the customers. Saw one staff member become downright rude with a customer when they asked for another cup of coffee.
2. Tables in the eating area were filthy and unsanitary. No one even bothered to wipe down the tables after a guest used the table…I'm talking crumbs and sticky stuff being on the table. We witnessed guests looking from table to table to try to find one clean enough to sit down at…just as we did every morning.
3. Room was dirty, sheets stained or not clean; had to ask for towels and toilet paper nearly every day; mosquito nets had big tears and holes; ants, flies, geckos and other bugs in room.
4. Bathroom was a joke...no shower and bathtub too dirty to want to sit in.
5. Rooms were noisy at night...could hear staff talking all night long.
6. The suite room which we pay nearly $90 US dollars for was worth maybe $30. We heard frogs all night that sounded like they were in our room. Only one power outlet available in room (one outlet for refrigerator, air conditioner and your personal items?). Bathroom was located downstairs…as well as the closets. Cobwebs all over the place. Ants roaming everywhere. The bathroom has flimsy curtains that you could see right through…the bathroom was viewable from a walkway. We had to leave the light in the bathroom off both to use the toilet and take a shower. Sheets on the bed were stained. Towels had holes in them.
7. The deluxe room (which I ended up having to pay the suite rate for???) was also dirty and had ants…though not as many. No security on the door…lock was a padlock? We had to sleep with a chair up against the door just to be able to fall asleep every night.
8. Both rooms we stayed in had a horrific lack of maintenance. In the deluxe room, half of the electric outlets were not working, half the lights were not working, phone was not working and no attempt was made to fix anything despite our repeated complaints.
9. Contrary to booking.com claims that internet WAS available in all rooms, no internet was available in the rooms. We were told this when we checked in...which at that point was too late.
10. Pool is green...not from the color of the bottom of the pool either. Pool looks like it hasn't been cleaned in years...makes me kind of wonder what's growing in it!
11. Manager has no business managing. No discount was given when our room was downgraded from a suite to a deluxe room. I was told the deluxe room was a suite? Give me a break… The deluxe room is a single room…last time I checked in the dictionary a suite is more than one room. I asked for a discount on the last 4 nights as we stayed in a deluxe room…it was refused. Then, to add insult to injury, I was told if I paid by credit card there would be a 5% additional fee added (booking.com indicated that the hotel would take credit card payment with no mention of any fees). When I complained, the manager brought it down to 3%, then agreed to not charge me the fee...that was one thing I was NOT going to give in to.

I have NEVER felt so abused and scammed then I have at this hotel. I was not given a discount despite being placed in a deluxe room for 4 nights because the suite provided on the first night was infested with ants and so noisy at night that my husband and I could not sleep. Great customer service, huh? Felt like all they wanted was my money...

This was my first try with booking.com and I am shocked that they apparently have condoned such behavior. I am seriously considering disputing this charge when I return from my travels…because I clearly did not receive what I paid for.

My husband and I travel extensively in Asia and the US and regrettably, I will never have anything positive to say about booking.com nor Pande Permai…and will discourage my family, friends and associates from supporting either of these businesses.

Room Tip: Don't choose a suite. Why bother...you pay more but get so much less...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple