“Not as idyllic as I'd hoped”

Pande Permai Bungalows
Ranked #179 of 197 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 19 August 2013

On first inspection, these bungalows fit the bill - central location, great spacious rooms with gorgeous balcony, mozzie nets on bed, overlook monkey forest, private, good AC. Stepping in, the first thing I said, 'I want to extend our stay.' At midnight, I'm doing the opposite, fervently booking alternate accommodation for our second night.

Why? Bit of a list, the biggest complaint being the noise. The room itself is semi attached and separated seemingly well from your next door neighbour. Until you hear every word spoken next door and realise there is a huge gap between where the wall is supposed to meet the ceiling. Thankfully, my next door neighbours are my family.

Being right on the dip of monkey forest road also has its problems. During the day, you have the steady hum of traffic. But at night, when the road is free of cars, you get the motorbikes at normal speedand their acceleration into the hill. I think my room cops a lot of the noise, being elevated. But as a result, I can't sleep. And that's something I do value when away.

The pool during our stay has been green and slimy. You can't even see the bottom.. When I mentioned it I was told it was 'because of the rain'. I've lived in Indonesia long enough to have heard this excuse by many a poolman. 'It will be ok in an hour'. Not. So after some sweaty exploration of Ubud, there was no refreshing swim to be had.

I'm told by my aforementioned family who have been here a night longer than me that breakfast is pretty horrible and get ready for the monkeys to start carrying about, on the roof, at around 6am. Can't wait. It's about 5 hours away.

Needless to say, we are cutting our time short. It's a shame because I think the bungalows have some true potential. But if my main complaint is about noise and location, there's not really much they can do about that. I should have chosen differently.

Room Tip: Do not choose Lotus or Tunjung, adjoining rooms. They are the most expensive and the noisiest.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 12 August 2013

The hotel was ok until the last morning when we woke up because of a strange noise and it turns out that the monkeys were throwing pieces of the roof on the pool...if i passed by....at the time I would be at the hospital not here in gilli t writing this post...

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 3 August 2013

I'm amazed reading the negative reviews posted about Pande Permai as we had an excellent experience there. We stayed there 7 nights, left Ubud for a 2 nights and then came back to Pande Permai for another 3 nights. The price was good, the location excellent, the rooms are basic and the pool was fabulous and a great place to meet other travelers. We talked to a couple of people that had gone to higher end hotels but were disappointed at how isolated they were and returned to Pande Pemai. We enjoyed our stay - both times!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 April 2013

This property was at one time lovely with stone bungalows tucked all around and staircases leading through a maze of buildings. Our room was spacious and light with gorgeous wooden windows and high rattan ceilings. It obviously hadn't been rented in ages as the refrigerator was off and the water sputtered when we turned it on. Of the 7 lighting fixtures in the bathroom, two had working bulbs. All of the bulbs on the balcony were burned out. The toilet ran constantly unless you fixed the flapper, the floors were filthy. Water was hot but had very little pressure. We asked for wine glasses and were presented with milk shake glasses. We asked to borrow and umbrella, and they said they had only one. "Breakfast" was instant coffee and non-dairy creamer. No milk available. It's basically a run-down mess.

Room Tip: find another place to stay
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank lemonzestlife
Reviewed 4 January 2013

Great location in the heart of Ubud, literally 100m away from Monkey Forest and metres from some of the best shops in SE Asia. Large, clean and open Bungalows that also have views of rice patty fields out the back. For AUD$50 a night which includes breakfast you can't complain. My 2 year old son who loved Monkey Forest , my wife who loved the shopping and myself, who enjoyed a massage or 2. We fully recommend Pande Permai Bungalows

Room Tip: Lovely restuarant metres away, Can't remember the name sorry, as you walk out the drive way, tur...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank SteveWood71
Reviewed 20 September 2012

I wrote this review earlier and for some reason wasn't published- Our experience at the Bungalow was that the owners wanted cash for their payment and re-iterated several times over different days that they needed cash to pay to their staff- thus was despite on the online booking it advised the place accepted Mastercard. We arrived 1 hr early and were shown to our room thinking it was ready - no towels, no lights and smell of rotting cabbage in the bathroom (standard smells for most of Bali anyway). The room was large and I loved the marble tiles- the wifi worked on/off - there was no DVD player to watch any DVD's. The monkeys from the nearby monkey park were a worry, jumping onto the roof trying to break in and had smashed their way through an adjoining building. My impression is that you get what you pay for as unfortunately we left our booking till the last and were very few places left in HIgh season for the end of Rhamadan. The sound of a running stream over the balcony provided us with a view of people washing themselves amongst bags of filthy rubbish. Would I recommend no - if you have any problems with mould - don't go there the place is very damp and old. The Bali Government should get their acts together and help support the many small businesses there as they are reaping in many tourist dollars in the areas. I don't know where some of these other tourists have stayed there but it certainly wasn't anywhere near us or the experience we had.

Room Tip: Look at Trip Advisor
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Barbara J
Reviewed 22 July 2012 via mobile

Booked this hotel from hotel booth at Denpasar airport so unfortunately didn't see the terrible reviews! Our room was over priced, old, smelt bad, the sheets were wet and the third bed we requested was actually a large faux leather sofa cushion, and the sheet was too small for it so it kept on pinging off in the night. The toilet roll did not get replenished as previous people have mentioned. When we asked for this to be done it was not and so we had to go and get it ourselves when we realised. Archaic television and furniture, the bathroom sink was leaking. The air con in our "deluxe" room hardly worked. The breakfast was pretty poor. On the plus side we had no bugs!! Do not stay here, I would not ever stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012