“Spend your money elsewhere, you have lots of options”

Pande Permai Bungalows
Ranked #178 of 198 Hotels in Ubud
nyc
“Spend your money elsewhere, you have lots of options”
Reviewed 19 May 2009

We booked in advance (a bit of a mistake) for 3 nights. Overall, the room was ok, nothing special, better value can be found elsewhere.They concentrated their efforts on the decor (traditional Balinese) but I wish they'd focused more on service, and updating their existing amenities.

Cleanliness- Rooms are on the dark side so I couldn't thoroughly inspect the linens, but I used my own sleep-sack to keep warm at night. I wore sandals in the shower but my husband did not. The facilities are a bit old but I believe to be well maintained and clean, but I still felt a bit dirty in the bathroom and in the bed.

Service- As if the touts on the streets of Ubud were not enough! The main receptionist (possibly the manager) was constantly asking us if we needed transportation or tour booking assistance. At night we had to remind the staff to fill up our water tank so we'd have water for our shower.

Location- This is in a decent location at the bottom of the "strip" on Monkey Forest Rd.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Regina, Canada
Reviewed 23 April 2009

We stay for 3 days at the Pande Permai Hotel the first week of April, 2009. We have no complaints. The location was excellent, nice view, rooms were clean, NO monkeys (never even saw one), good breakfast, nice big pool. It's tucked in off a busy street and it's very quiet - however, the Jazz music in the evening was a real bonus. It's a small cozy hotel - so don't expect Big Hotel Amenities. Staff were polite and accomodating. This is budget priced hotel and I would recommend people stay there. We had no problems and no complaints. Yes, we would stay there again. C.T.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ceatea
Taiwan
Reviewed 5 December 2008

I walked in off the street and was impressed by the huge, gorgeous room. I paid $35 for one night and went immediately to the pool. It had the dirtiest water I had ever seen...strike 1. The water shut off at 11:00 pm and did not come back on until morning...strike 2. Breakfast was not good...strike 3. Check out.

• Disliked — The pool was terrible.
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank galpine70

Travellers are raving about these Ubud hotels

Guam
Reviewed 28 December 2006

This hotel has a great location by the Monkey Forest and a bit off the crowded track on Monkey Forest Road. There were no other guests when we arrived, it was just my family and the staff. The first morning we had breakfast up by the pool and didn't lock our doors. Dumb. We weren't away for more than 30 min and found that cash was gone from my 11 year olds backpack. Without getting into all the details, I believe it was one of the staff. We informed the manager and did not accuse anyone. Anyway, they were concerned but without resolution, we found another place to stay immediately. We didn't feel our things were safe. Too bad, with some work, it's a lovely setting and spacious.

• Liked — beautiful views
  • Disliked — security
  • Tips/Secrets — don't stay here
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank lunarwally
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 12 July 2006

We stayed in Pande Permai's "Lotus Room" last week. It was superb! We paid only $38 dollars per night, which included a breakfast (which was lackluster, but acceptable). The room was amazing, and the view was unbeatable. There is a large balcony with a perfect breeze from which you can watch rice farmers walking up the lush, green hill to begin work each morning. Finally, on our last day, we walked up that same terraced hill and entered the charming world of behind-the-scenes Ubud.

The hotel smelled fresh and new. The room was impeccably clean. The cleaning staff was friendly and paid great attention to details. (Our towels were folded into swans, lotus flowers, etc. Fresh flowers all the time...) The grounds are gorgeous!! I could have stayed there forever.

Twice we watched monkeys from our room. The location is ideal, close to the Monkey Forest, but sheltered from the traffic. Also, I'd rather be on the southern end, near the Monkey Forest, than up near the city center--and the market, where the tourist buses shuttle hundreds of people in from Kuta and Sanur all afternoon. That place can be a madhouse!

One important note-- We peeked into another room, one of their "budget" rooms. It looked clean and acceptable, but very uninspiring. I say fork over the extra $15 and get the Lotus Room. You will be so glad that you did. AMAZING PLACE!!!

Oh, one other thing...the previous review mentioned paying for local calls. Yeah, of course. Every place I've stayed in ANY country makes you pay for calls. We made a call and we were charged 1500 rupiah. That's right, 15 cents. No big deal. A lot less than what we were charged in our Sanur beach resort!

• Stayed July 2006
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Tel Aviv
Reviewed 28 April 2006

I don't recommend. The beautiful scenery is the only advantage but because it is very close to the Monkey sanctuary – one can't sit on the balcony & enjoy it as the monkeys visit & grab everything. . The head of the staff "boss" is very mean – charged extra money for every phone call in the area, wouldn't lend me a big umbrella like in other hotels, there weren't any shuttles even when it was pouring rain & dark & there was a car in the hotel yard. Small but essential things were missing in the bathroom like a rug & shampoo. No ordinary milk for breakfast coffee & the staff wasn't helpful at all. The room was not ready & the sheet on the first day was dirty. I paid 50$ to stay in a delux room! The room & bathroom are big.
Another warning for elderly people or not in a good physical state – very slippary & dangerous when raining & at night. Many steps. Very dark.

9 Thank michelle D