“good hotel with best service beyond my expectation”

Junjungan Ubud Hotel and Spa
Ranked #15 of 198 Hotels in Ubud
“good hotel with best service beyond my expectation”
Reviewed 3 May 2011

Although it's my first time to have a vocation in bali, lucky that we choose junjungan as our hotal at ubud.We were given a chocolate cake as the honeymoon present.So many selections of breakfast,my hustband and I like it very much~also the free afternoon tea is our favourate one.A bit far from ubud centre,but the hotel can arrange a shuttle bus at anytime before ten p.m. and pick us back too.Furthermore,the service is perfect that the staffs are all kind and sincere to us.Surely we will come back again.

• Stayed May 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 29 April 2011

The Junjungan Ubud is certainly not central: there is about a fifteen minute ride to the city center that will take you through rice fields and villages. It's an oasis of calm and tranquility, however, where you will be met by staff dedicated to providing first class service. Our room was enormous and cozy with a four poster bed, and the bathtub was deep, large, and relaxing. The food at the restaurant is pretty good, as well. I wish we'd had more time to stay here.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed 15 April 2011

We are young people group of 4 stayed for 2 nights at the hotel. Truly hospitality is what we really enjoyed when staying here. We wanna organize a small BBQ by the pool. The staffs are soooo kind. They help us in arranging table, candles, everthing we asked for. Unfortunately, something wrong with charcoat we bought then the oven didn't work, not any fire came! Oppp...When we told to the receptionist, she in a hurry called the kitchen staffs came with oil to help us, but once again, fire didn't come!!! Then we asked if they can help in preparing food from what we bought, they did it so quickly and looked presentatable and delicious! Yummy! Thanks to all of you.
My favourite point at this hotel is you can hear the sound of stream running around the hotel all day all night. All rooms facing green rice paddy.
When we were hurry for the tour in the early morning and had to skip breakfast, the staff with his kind to prepare the breakfast box for us!
The spa was good as well.
The bathtub was huge and the stone swimming pool was what I dream of! Swimming under the coconut trees while listening to bird singing!
In general, we did enjoy a lot in our short trip to Ubud. Absolutely highly recommend!

Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 12 April 2011

We were looking to stay here for 4 nights, we checked out after 1. There is nothing great about this hotel. In their price range there are better places in and near Ubud. The only reason we stayed the night was because my pregnant wife needed to rest. I did hesitate writing this review as the service is very attentive and friendly. However this is just not enough to describe this as a good or even a great hotel. The hotel is far out, although there is a free shuttle to Ubud, there is nothing much to see or do near the hotel. The hotel itself is old and run-down (leakage stains everywhere, old furniture, old bathroom). The rooms are very dark with almost no natural light and cold. There are limited facilities outside room, a pool next to road with no space around it, a small lobby and parking lot. The hotel is build on top of a small river and next to rice paddies. The restaurant of the hotel is underneath the hotel and there isn't much view from there, except a smelly toilet, the stairs, road and and some forest next to the small river. On the smelly toilet, we could smell the restaurant toilet in our hotel room, after mentioning this the toilet was cleaned thoroughly. Unfortunately the smell came back slowly as it has more to do with the sewerage than a clean toilet. During the night we were visited by multiple and numerous little bugs and ants. They were everywhere. I took pictures the next morning of all the dead squashed bugs on my bed. We felt itchy all night and had almost no rest at all. And the last thing which I would like to share is that the hotel is not suitable for small children. As it is build on top of a river it has stairs everywhere and the fences are not secure which makes this hotel even dangerous for kids. So outside of their friendly service there is absolutely no need to stay at this hotel. Friendliness is easy to find on Bali. A very disappointing and unwelcome experience.

p.s. This is the same review as written on Agoda website, where this hotel also receives praises and is described as great. It completely escapes me (a seasoned traveler who is also a return visitor to Bali) why this hotel is highly recommended. There are many better alternatives around Ubud, where you can get a much better 'Ubud' experience even in this price range. Even with the much emphasized rice paddy view from room...or the afternoon tea (which was average and served at many other establishments) or the included breakfast...

No need to stay here, really...and please do read the other negative reviews as they are spot on. Who has written the other reviews...it puzzles me...We even started to wonder if it wasn't the establishment itself...

p.s.p.s. The only reason why I did decide to write this review is because the hotel is simply not good enough, especially not great, and you can get much better around Ubud.

Room Tip: Find another hotel, many which are much better
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
8 Thank tripolution
Perth WA
Reviewed 10 April 2011

I have recommended this hotel to everyone since we returned home. It was full marks from us on every aspect and we hope to return for a much longer holiday next year. We chose to eat in the beautiful restaurant for all our meals: a first for us. We found the all the staff charming, always pleasant and very efficient. Congratulations to all concerned.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 2 April 2011

I have mixed feelings about this place. On one hand the location is lovely, set in a very rural location amongst rice fields with a small stream running down the side it is just gorgeous. You can see all the fire flies in the fields at night and hear all the frogs and farm animals.
The breakfast is delicious and plenty of it and you never have an empty glass. The staff are very attentive and learn your name quickly.
The building is beautiful and rustic and the service is great with a free driver, at any time, to take you to Ubud. The driver was great and we always had a great chat and an Indonesian lesson on every trip.

On the other hand, we were given a room with 2 single beds instead of a double. This could be part my fault as I didn't stipulate what kind of bed we needed when I booked, I just assumed Mr and Mrs would automatically get a double. (kind of worked out nice too as it was very hot and nice to have my own space.) rooms are quite close to the road so you do hear alot of traffic noise in the morning. (I chose a rural location for the view and for the quiet.) The staff constantly call you Miss Sarah and Mr John. I found it a bit too much and annoying after hearing it over 20 times during a meal. I told them I was a MRS and they could just use my name but they still did it.
We used the spa once but although my husband said his massage was good, mine was not and I was very sore for days. They talked to each other the whole way through so I couldn't really relax and did 20 minutes less than the menu said. Ha Ha and they wanted my husband to wear a see through paper bikini. He declined.
The bathroom had a shower but it was one you have to stand in the bath and hold the nozzle to use it.
I don't think I will stay here again but by reading other reviews other people have enjoyed it.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 2 April 2011

I booked the hotel through Agoda, I did not put too much expection to the hotel before i went there as the rates was similar like a 2-3 star hotel. But after I sent some emails to ask them help me do some pre-arrangement, I was quite suprised and appreciated. I need booked the dirty duck dinner on the day upon arrival, but i could not contact with the restaurant. I sent the email asking Junjungan to help, they replied me quite fast and booked the table for me with the best view one.

After I arrived Bali, I was suprised again. The room was very nice, big, clean and with beautiful rice field view. The staff were very attentive, thoughful, they remembered our name and were greeting with our name everytime which made us feel warm. The welcome drink was quite refreshing and the tower was cool, the fruit in the fruit basket was fresh and delicious. Afternoon Tea was nice, however i do not like brownie, hiahia~Breakfast was nice with big portion.

The location of the Hotel is slightly far away from Ubud city, but there is free shuttle bus transfer from hotel to Ubud anytime from morning to 10pm. And it only takes around 10mins to Ubud city which is not much difference with those hotel in Ubud city.

Although there was only 1N stay in Junjungan of my short trip, I was touched by their excellent service and nice room. I will be back again with staying Junjungan Hotel & Spa.

Cheers~