“Ok, but ...”

Ranked #19 of 196 Hotels in Ubud
Brisbane
“Ok, but ...”
Reviewed 8 June 2011

Like an earlier reviewer, I have mixed feelings about this place. Rooms are beautiful, the location is peaceful and the shuttle service is great to go out, but not so much for return as the hotel seems to turn phones off or not answer after 8pm so you end up organizing to get back yourself. My biggest frustration is with girls at reception. One is quite officious and the other while pleasant is not very helpful. They seem not to be able to make any recommendations, and it seems a shame as their are many local small business people they could support as well as assist their guests. Other big problem is that when you check in you are told no noise after 10pm like this is some sort of monastery. We are quiet people and still ended up with people in next room thumping on the wall because of the tv was on at a low volume. Positives are the flowers everywhere, breakfasts and breakfast service is excellent. Overall I would not stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank WorkerBrisbane

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
London
Reviewed 19 May 2011

I was really dissapointed with my whole Bali experience until I arrived at this hotel.

I agree with others, its not very central at all, however the hotel provide a free shuttle in to the town.

Its a really tranquil and peaceful hotel and am surprised by others negative views as travelling on my own (and not enjoying Bali) this hotel changed my whole perception of the country!

The staff were great, very friendly and they did as much as they could to make my stay as comfortable as possible.

The food in the restaurant was great and I certianly didn't experience the smelly toilet another review mentions!

Ask for a room on the top floor as then you will experience the really high ceilings that give extra atmosphere. Just be sure to check the temp of the aircon before going to bed as I woke up very cold! The views from the balcony are amazing, paddy fields which are so calm and tranquil to look at.

The bathroom was great - with a massive bath tub and hot water!!!

It was about a 10min drive in to town, but again the hotel driver will drop you off and pick you up.

I certainly wished I had booked a longer stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: ask for a room on the top floor
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
Chichester
Reviewed 14 May 2011

We stayed at the Junjungan for four nights on a brief, first trip to Bali and hadn't known what to expect but were thoroughly delighted with everything the hotel had to offer. The staff try exceptionally hard to serve customers. This can come over as obsequious at times but they are so anxious to please that it is hard to fault them. Breakfast is delicious - if immense! Our rooms were lovely and had large baths, anterooms and were well furnished. Fresh flowers in the bathroom and anteroom were a lovely touch and the views across paddy fields were gorgeous. We particularly valued the taxi service to and from town and enjoyed an excellent day out being driven to some of Bali's beautiful sights by one of the hotels taxi drivers. I would recommend the hotel to anyone likely to appreciate being a little out of town.

Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Morgz54
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2011

I am very much caught in two minds about my time at this hotel. On the plus side, the staff were very friendly and accommodated us well, with professional service. The free afternoon tea was well received and it was enjoyable to borrow a couple of bikes and ride around the local area. Had no issues with the free wi-fi either and the shuttle service into town was very easy to use, so the location was never an issue. It was also nice to be able to look out over the padi fields from our balcony.

So having said all this, what is the downside? Well I think that there could be improvements in the dining section, one day we waited for an hour to get 2 BLT sandwiches when we were the only people there. In the restaurant the staff were also over attentive - every time you took a sip of water they rushed over to refill it. Good service I guess, but when you can tell you that the staff seem on edge it doesn't make for a relaxing atmosphere. I also felt that it was overpriced when compared to the other places we stayed in Bali (it was twice as expensive as the previous resort we were in) without being able to fully justify it. Another small issue with the room was that the net around the bed had many holes in it so it didn't stop us getting bitten and we were woken up on a couple of mornings by workers next door. Final gripe was that we overpaid on checkout - the + key on the calculator was hit twice between numbers on a few occasions meaning that it totalled too high. My own fault really though for not picking them up on it.

In summary nice place, but I think it should be more like a $70 a night stay than the $100 I paid (all subjective).

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 May 2011

Although it's my first time to have a vocation in bali, lucky that we choose junjungan as our hotal at ubud.We were given a chocolate cake as the honeymoon present.So many selections of breakfast,my hustband and I like it very much~also the free afternoon tea is our favourate one.A bit far from ubud centre,but the hotel can arrange a shuttle bus at anytime before ten p.m. and pick us back too.Furthermore,the service is perfect that the staffs are all kind and sincere to us.Surely we will come back again.

• Stayed May 2011
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 29 April 2011

The Junjungan Ubud is certainly not central: there is about a fifteen minute ride to the city center that will take you through rice fields and villages. It's an oasis of calm and tranquility, however, where you will be met by staff dedicated to providing first class service. Our room was enormous and cozy with a four poster bed, and the bathtub was deep, large, and relaxing. The food at the restaurant is pretty good, as well. I wish we'd had more time to stay here.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed 15 April 2011

We are young people group of 4 stayed for 2 nights at the hotel. Truly hospitality is what we really enjoyed when staying here. We wanna organize a small BBQ by the pool. The staffs are soooo kind. They help us in arranging table, candles, everthing we asked for. Unfortunately, something wrong with charcoat we bought then the oven didn't work, not any fire came! Oppp...When we told to the receptionist, she in a hurry called the kitchen staffs came with oil to help us, but once again, fire didn't come!!! Then we asked if they can help in preparing food from what we bought, they did it so quickly and looked presentatable and delicious! Yummy! Thanks to all of you.
My favourite point at this hotel is you can hear the sound of stream running around the hotel all day all night. All rooms facing green rice paddy.
When we were hurry for the tour in the early morning and had to skip breakfast, the staff with his kind to prepare the breakfast box for us!
The spa was good as well.
The bathtub was huge and the stone swimming pool was what I dream of! Swimming under the coconut trees while listening to bird singing!
In general, we did enjoy a lot in our short trip to Ubud. Absolutely highly recommend!

Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends