“Great hotel, great service”

Junjungan Ubud Hotel and Spa
Ranked #20 of 197 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 29 July 2012

The staff is very helpful and professional. The hotel is beautiful away from the noise and crowd of Ubud centre but connected with a free shuttle service. Spacious and comfortable rooms with small terraces overlooking rice fields. Clean and spacious bathroom. Great complimentary afternoon tea and excellent breakfast.
In house good quality SPA.
The food of the restaurant is decent. It could be slightly improved.

Reviewed 26 July 2012

The only reason I'm giving this hotel 4 stars and not 5 is because it was my first visit to Ubud and Bali, so I can't really compare.
Stayed for 3 days with my wife in Deluxe Awan Room. The room was great. It had a ceiling of about 5 meters high so the air in the room was always fresh. In fact we never used the air con! The hotel staff was very helpful and genuinely friendly. Restaurant food and service was great. Massage I had in the spa was the best I've ever had in my life.
All in all, I think its a perfect spot for a couple visiting Ubud for the first time.
P.S. The hotel looks great on the pictures here, but it is much better in real life!

Room Tip: rooms on the first floor have bigger ceilings
2  Thank marzhun
Reviewed 19 July 2012

I thought the location and hotel were beautiful and staff too, but it was a bit much every time you came out of the room (our room was in the same level as the reception) there was two three people bowing at you. I know it's polite, but a bit much after a while, felt like couldn't relax. Same in the breakfast / restaurant, I was "disturped" ten times by excuse me mam when bringing cutlery, drinks, tea, juice whatever (all separately) They collected things straight after you had your last bite, not when both of us had finished. Felt like you were watched all the time and as the hotel was fairly quiet, felt like couldn't talk or laugh too much, cause people were watching every second.
Free shuttle bus was great as there is no really other ways of getting to Ubud. I did have to call a few times as they were 20min - 0.5h late, but can't complain it was free.

Reviewed 18 July 2012

Spent our first three nights in Bali in this boutique-like hotel. The staff is very friendly and eager to help. A shuttle into town is readily available and always on time. Our room overlooked picturesque rice paddies. The breakfast that came with the room was beautifully served and delicious. The room was spacious and dotted with fresh flowers leaving a welcome scent to come "home" to. Overall extremely pleased.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Went with my Aunt & Uncle end Apr '12 to visit my cousin (their son), who has been staying in Ubud for 6months now. Its our 1st time there for all of us...heard so much & believe me I have NOT heard A single bad comment abt Bali till date! Very few places you get 100% good reviews on! So we were def looking fwd to the trip & to visit my cuz - it was 4days at Ubud, Bali only. We came back with BIG smiles and we def see ourselves going back to Bali. The people are lovely, life is simple & peaceful. There is this amazing energy abt the place, which you cant pen it completely - you'll need to be there to feel it! We stayed at Junjungan at Ubud. My cuz booked us there since it was 2mins drive from where he was staying.

Small establishment with probably 15rooms. Small is cozy in this case - No crowd, no noise. Small allowed exclusive attention from all staff there - each of them knew our names & we were always greeted with warm & sincere smiles. Small created time & space for the staff to observe & understand our likes & dislikes with food, house-keeping, etc. In a matter of 4days they knew our usuals & picked up that my cuz is a veg. Oh but small doesn't apply to the size of their rooms - HUGE! The bathroom is proportionately as big. I cant say enough of the size of the Balinese people's hearts and esp the staff. Def NOT small!

A point to note its a spa hotel - the staff places chrysanthemum flowers around the place to give off spa feel. They have spa rooms as well for the mandatory body massages & spa treats. There is nothing but well-kept foliage all over the place with water used all over to maintain the spa mode feel of the place. From the balcony of our rooms, we face the rice padi fields which is just so soothing to see - sit back & enjoy attitude to be applied. I have attached pictures for you to see.

I am still not done with how beautiful this place is - they make the best food EVER! Its all fresh from the juices to the pastries to the tea to the food! They make the best desserts! They have complimentary tea - comes with beverage & pastries. Loved them all! I really think the unique selling point is their secret ingredients - warmth & sincerity. The pancakes are unbelievable and def recommend one-time try when you order breakfast.

I recommend as romantic destination for couples or bunch of girlfriends. Overall excellent hospitality, YUM YUM food esp the desserts, beautiful view of the green fields - please book this place when in Ubud & rent a bike to commute. I cant think of any negative points of this place to mention btw!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 July 2012

We stayed there in early May, 05-08 and 10-12 May 2012. This place feels very private with only 10 rooms, you hardly see the other guests. We took the room in the top floor over looking the beautiful and calming paddy fields. During our visit, we stayed in 2 different rooms and both were clean and breakfast were excellent. With free transport to Ubud and back, it is super convenient. As well we rented a bike with the help of the staffs. Overall we have an excellent stay there as the staffs were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Stayed at Junjungan for 2 nights, 18-20 June 2012, with family (spouse & 2 young girls). This is a small but extremely cosy establishment. Stayed in a Deluxe Awan room, had twin beds (each was a super single) and an extra bed for my elder girl. Even with 3 beds in the room, there was still lots and lots of room left for my girls to run around. My girls (7 years and 3 years old) absolutely love the hotel. I was initially a little sceptical about how the girls would react to the hotel as they were used to staying in bigger hotels / resorts. But I wanted the kids to experience this countryside / natural environment, and I definitely did not regret this decision. My girls love love love the place. Every chance they get they'd sit out on the balcony to admire the paddy field and watch the ducks out in the field. It was beautiful.
The personal attention given by the staff was also another plus plus point. Like what most reviews mentioned, the staff made an effort to remember guests by name. They were also very good with my kids. My kids being hyper active and overly-friendly would walk around the hotel on their own and love to hang around the lobby area to chat with the staff, all of whom know the girls' names.
Food served at the hotel was fantastic. Portions were quite big by our standards, most of the time we felt that we were being overfed. Breakfast came with the room, of which we had to order the night before. Though it was not a buffet spread but an ala carte set, the selection was more than sufficient with a good variety of local and western spread. Their pancakes are incredibly large and delicious (love their banana chocolate pancakes). Our stay also came with daily complimentary tea, which was served anytime between 3pm to 6pm. Everyday they would serve something different. Tea was usually served at their restaurant. However on the day we had our tea, we had just came back from Ubud market with my youngest daughter asleep in my arms. The staff at the lobby saw that and immediately offered to serve us tea in our room as they understood the inconvenience of me and my husband having to take turns to go down to the restaurant to have our tea. Again a testimony of great personal service. One thing to note is that their food and beverages are all served freshly made, therefore there will always be a short waiting time. This is however not something that bothered us as the waiting just gave us more opportunities to admire and appreciate the relaxed and tranquil surroundings.
The hotel is a slight distance from Ubud town but with the hotel shuttle which is available upon request, it is not a problem at all. In fact we love the fact that the hotel is away from the hustle and bustle of all the action.
Only regret was that we did not stay longer in Ubud and Junjungan.Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family