“A beautiful quiet place”

Puri Saraswati Bungalows
Ranked #135 of 196 Hotels in Ubud
The Hague, The Netherlands
“A beautiful quiet place”
Reviewed 11 March 2013

We (two adults and a four year old) stayed at Puri Saraswati (Nakula bungalow) for three nights 22-25 Feb 2013 and enjoyed it immensely. The staff was helpful, the bungalow was spacious, clean and airy, with a beautiful porch that had a table and a writing desk. The swimming pool was clean and well maintained, with a massage room right next to it. The massages were very good, withe the price of 150,000 IDR for 90 minutes. WiFi was free and mostly worked.
The hotel is in the centre, with shops and ATMs at the doorstep, close to the Ubud Market, and yet it is a safe oasis of calm and tranquility. There is no better way to fall asleep than to listen to the rain bobbing on the traditional slanted roof of a bungalow at Puri Saraswati.
We came here on a recommendation of a friend and we can't wait to come back. The price we paid was $78 per night. Rooms can be gotten at Ubud for much less, but we consider it a money well spent. There was no credit card or service surcharge - the price quoted was the price paid.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 March 2013

Right in the centre of Ubud and not noisy - a green and tranquil oasis - very helpful staff and I felt very safe there which is good when travelling solo. My room was very clean and the bed was comfortable, Nice touch was an old fashiioned towel rail on the verandah for your washing and swimming things to dry. Good places to eat very close, supermarket across the road and also internet (but there is a better one along the road towards the market)
No television (at least in my room there wasn't)

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
Tombstone, Arizona
Reviewed 19 February 2013

We have stayed at the Puri Saraswati on numerous occasions and it is an ideal location for sightseeing in Ubud, Bali. The rooms are comfortable, spacious and the room rate is very competitive. The rate also includes a very nice breakfast and there is a swimming pool in the compound. The facility is located on the grounds of the Imperial Palace and centrally located for all your sightseeing activities.

Room Tip: There are not any "good rooms"..... they are all excellent rooms.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Harry H
Marrickville, Australia
Reviewed 9 February 2013

I was introduced to Bali 10 years ago by a dear friend. He told me that we would be staying at a magical place within the palace grounds of the royal family in Ubud. As a photographer my anticipation and excitment cannot be described here as no words would do it just.
Over the last 10 years, I have travelled to the Island of the Gods more times than I can possibly recall without checking my passports. Every time I make sure I return to visit my many friends in Ubud and always stay at Puri Saraswati as I always feel like I am returning home.
Over the years I have followed the reviews on this place, and for those of you who did not find what they were seeking, it was just simply not to be for you. For those of your who have experienced it's magic, you know what I mean.
For me, all the staff have become family as I am always greated with the warmest of smiles on my arrival. Tears flow as I depart, never saying goodby and always saying until next time.
Yes, I have met the Prince and his family, and yes, we have become good friends. He is a kind man and always has time for me.
According to many,this place is in need of much cosmetic upgrading, but those who only see this are missing what this place is really all about. I can go on forever as to how Puri Saraswati has changed my life, and what It continues to do for me, but I won't.
The kind of people Puri Saraswati enbraces are travellers who are curious,but do not ask questions. Travellers with an open mind who push aside the intellect and go with their hearts warm and their arms out wide.
So go to Puri Saraswati if you are this kind of person,and if you are not, then look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Note: If you are in any room other than bathing and sleeping,you will be missing the beautiful anima...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank emmanuelSydney
Ubud, Indonesia
Reviewed 21 January 2013

This is my second time at Puri Saraswati and I will return. Its not 5 star but has many great features that make it worth your consideration. Location is about as good as it gets in Ubud, at the top of the town next to the Lotus Cafe and dance stage and the revamped market place, the gardens are peaceful and quiet and you dont hear the busy street noise, yet you step out from the haven onto the busy street and are in the middle of Ubud and can walk to all the attractions of Ubud town easily. The bungalows are old traditional designs, mostly stone with amazing timber carvings and rich colours outside, marble floors, large verandas and comfortable rooms. Breakfast is served in the gardens and is simple but adequate. Management has taken on board some of the negative comments and renewed linen and the rooms are clean again, with no staff trying to sell side trips. Rooms are in the process of being improved - i checked out the upstairs bungalow that overlooks the stage as it was being repainted inside and should be nicer when finished.
I suggest that management needs to look seriously at itself as it is still being run like an Indonesian government department, inefficient practices, outdated management, overstaffing. It is very hard to book online, couldn't find them on the major hotel sites and had to ring direct. Might explain why it was almost empty.

Room Tip: room prices are negotiable.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Stuart M
London
Reviewed 14 January 2013

Stayed here on our night time arrival in Ubud - it was easy to find once our driver asked for directions (he din't know where Monkey Forest Road was which was the key to their map) and we found it to be a wonderful haven of luxury. The rooms we had were 2 double rooms in a beautiful pavilion with beautiful carved wooden double doors leading to a small entrance hall - with the rooms to left and right (no way would you describe themn as mere bungalows). The rooms were lovely with beautiful bathrooms and a lovely varanda and perfect for a family with young children. You are a very short walk from Monkey Forest Road with all its shops and restaurants and bars and right next to the Lotus Cafe - so very well located. Breakfast the next morning was our best in Java and we got to use the pool before heading off.

The staff were friendly and found us a very good driver to take us to Taro the following day and we left wishing we had booked a longer stay with them. Would definitely recommend this as a place to stay in Ubud.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank banqueiro
Bremen, Germany
Reviewed 12 November 2012

I stayed there for 5 nights in the darma room while traveling around bali with a group. I very much liked the bungalow style in the nice garden, the pool was small but clean. The room was clean, comfy bed, good clean bathroom without any unwanted visitors, aircon.
The wall to the other room in the bungalow is quite thin though, could hear my sleepless neighbour mucking around and listening to the radio.

Breakfast is nice, freshly made with fruit juice, fresh fruit, eggs, toast and pancake, coffee or tea served outdoors under a big roof.

Good sot to stay to explore ubud and sourroundings, would stay there again

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends