“Location Walk everywhere/ Intricate temple garden setting”

Puri Saraswati Bungalows
Ranked #158 of 198 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 18 April 2010

I can afford the $ 500 Amandari but ate lunch there last time and would never go back.
Too cold. When you spend more money you see Less culture. Puri Saraswati is
good for adults/ couples/ singles . Does have some high steps in temple passes.
Beautiful gardens , nice pool for adults, Good location in center of town, walk to everything. Not going there for shampoo etc cause I bring that . Breakfast is good and plenty . Staff is wonderful !!! Catur is great and all of the staff is nice and helpful.
there is a beautiful temple next door that has dances and if you can hear them and see them from this hotel . It run about $ 70 usd. Laundry is expensicve. I really love this hotel because of the location.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank contessapv

Reviewed 14 April 2010

Really it was just nice to have a place to stay. Puri Saraswati was neither great nor awful. It did have a good location and nice gardens. The room was drab, poorly lit, and not convincingly clean. The deck was comfortable, the pool was okay for lounging but questionable for swimming. Breakfast would have been better without hovering staff touts - there are plenty of sales opportunity on the street, can't I have a peaceful morning?

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lost_Weekenders
Reviewed 3 April 2010

There is potential for you to have a very satisfying stay at the Puri Saraswati, however, there is also scope for your stay to be truly horrendous. I have stayed at this hotel on two occasions - my last stay was with a group of friends who booked the entire hotel as part of wedding celebrations at the neighbouring palace and lotus pond. The benefit of the group stay was that I got to see almost all the rooms the hotel had to offer and hence my opening remarks. Let's go through some of the things you may need to know :

Rooms : There really is a wide variety on offer here that range from "GET ME OUT OF HERE" to "Oh this is quite pleasant". The rooms that are directly on the main road (of which there are only a couple I believe), despite being more economical are to be avoided at all costs. My friends were staying in one of these rooms, not by choice, they were simply the last ones to arrive and were given no other option. This room was in fact purpose built to be a mould farm it would appear. Mould on the floors, walls, ceilings - you name it. The poor girl staying there was even dreaming of mould. You get the idea, it's the stuff nightmares are made of. Then there are the average rooms of which most are - these are simple but quite comfortable, perhaps not as clean as they *could* be as others have noted. Then there are the deluxe rooms which I have to say for what you pay (circa 70-80 $USD - we received a slightly favourable price owing to the group booking) are really quite nice and you'd have to be a bit pedantic to complain for the money you pay. To cut a long story short - spend the little bit extra and get a deluxe room if you can - any of the rooms on the eastern side of the property adjacent the palace will satisfy most people I believe - unless you are truly accustomed to 4+ star accommodation.

The gardens/property : It is genuinely surprising just how nice the hotels grounds are in light of what you see from the road and even the impressions you may get based on what you see of the hotel lobby. It provides quite the sanctuary from the hustle and bustle that awaits if you step out on to the main road. I was definitely somewhat impressed with the gardens and sculptures. The pool is small but refreshing. Not sure if it the kind of pool you'd want to spend all day sitting by (if you are into that kind of thing....I'm not so I may be a poor judge), but great if you just wish to cool off or do some laps.

Staff : Friendly for the most part - other reviewers have made some negative references to a particular woman on the front desk. I am reasonably certain I know the lady to which they are referring and whilst I didn't have any issues with here myself, I can see how what they described may occur - she can quite abrupt but is very bubbly for the most part. I think it would be fair to say that the staff don't bend over backwards to go out of their way for you like in other hotels, but by the same token if you are not a particularly demanding guest then I don't see how you will have too many issues with them.

Breakfast : Soul destroying would be the most accurate description of this complimentary meal you receive as part of your room cost. In theory the breakfast sounds nice - you will have a choice of juice/coffee/toast/eggs any which way/banana pancakes/fruit salad - you will probably think it's OK on the first day. On the second day you will be less enthused and by the third you will probably be dreading it. I noted that the toast consistently had mould in it, not a great deal, but if you looked closely it was there alright - which whilst despite being understandable in the humid Bali climate, I never noticed this anywhere else I ate. My suggestion to those that are fussy over their breakfast (which I admit I am) is to go over the road to Casa Luna and spend $4-$5USD getting "real" coffee and a breakfast that doesn't send you into a deep depression. Another negative aspect of breakfast, is that this is the time you can expect an attempt to be sold a bike tour or spa visit by the staff. I found this intensely irritating but I would attempt to rationalise it by telling myself that they were no doubt simply trying to supplement their meagre incomes. But yes, despite trying to understand their motives, I hated it and would dread it each morning - yet another reason in case you needed one to go to the Casa Luna across the road for your morning meal.

Their website : Hasn't been touched for at least 18 months from what I gather. They quote 200k rupiah for transport to and from the airport but you can actually expect to pay 250k once you speak to them. The going rate at other hotels is circa 200k so they do charge a slight premium for this service relatively speaking.

Location : Great - provided you like.being right in the middle of things. which I must admit I didn't mind. It is on on Ubuds main road and a short walk to most of the popular eateries in Ubud. It is also very close to the Ubud markets (not a place to visit in my opinion...but that's another review..), banks, mini marts and within walking distance to neighbouring Campuhan.

Internet Access : Free wifi is available though you will struggle to receive it in your room - you will need to be in the breakfast area or lobby to enjoy it. Certainly better than not having it at all!!

So overall a bit of a mixed bag here with both positive and negative aspects to consider as a prospective guest. I would recommend this to friends (or you dear reader!) on the provision you were in one of the nicer rooms and if a very central location was a priority. I would just suggest that you request a deluxe room or any of the rooms on the eastern side of the property when you make your booking. The location is great, the staff are *OK* and the price is not outrageous for what you get overall. You could certainly do worse in my opinion, I know I have!!

• Stayed: July 2009
8  Thank HarroReviews
Reviewed 19 November 2009

2 nights in nov 09, end of honeymoon

basic queen room, low season 70usd/night, with queen bed, aircon, mini fridge, no minibar. marble bathroom nice and big. basic breakfast included
the first room we got was very musty an had mould in the corner of the room so we asked to move. luckily it was low season so we had a choice to change room.

linen was basic, pillows and beds not very comfortable, curtains not light emiting so you wake with the sun. i had restless nights sleeping those 2 nights.

best thing about puri saraswati is the location close to ubud centre. walk to everywhere in ubud. the single pool is also clean and water is good quality for swimming.

staff friendly.

rooms are overpriced, if they were 20-30usd/night, it would be acceptable for the condition the accom is in. you pay for proximity to centre of ubud.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TrixyPo_Oz
Reviewed 9 October 2009

A friend who lives in Ubud booked our first 2 nights here so we'd have a place to stay after a long trip and a late night arrival. She had stayed here years ago and was shocked by the price we were quoted: $80/nite. When she stopped by the next morning after we'd had a (lovely) breakfast, she was surprised it wasn't as luxurious as she had been led to believe and immediately sheperded us around the corner to Siti's Bungalows for a look around. Not only was Siti's quieter and more charming, it was about 1/4 the price. We were happy to move. OK so there wasn't shampoo in the bathroom with the property's name on it. Like that is worth $50? Get real. Saraswati did accept credit cards but our friend warned us they would likely add a service fee, typically 4%. This is not common practice in the U.S. or Europe but be warned that apparently it is in the few places in Bali which accept credit cards. This did not show up on the bill we were given at checkout and as it took one week to post to our account, by then we had left Ubud and were not able to complain to the property directly.

I agree with other comments about the staff pushing tours, dance tickets - first thing in the morning it was "Good Morning, tonight is the palace dance, would you like tickets?" Get used to it. Everyone in Bali is selling something.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 September 2009

The rooms are dirty. The staff just don't know how to do a cleaning job. The bathroom was mouldy and 'yucky', despite the superficial gold fittings. Bed linen was stained, and pillows smelly. Some staff members were very pleasant and helpful,the lady in charge completely ignored us after our first complaint. Others were indifferent. We stopped here the previous year and only booked as their website said it had been completely refurbished, does that mean new shower heads ????The only thing going for it is its location

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 September 2009

My friend and I stayed in the 'Agung' bungalow at Puri Saraswati for 3 nights. The room was basic but very clean, with twin beds, a fridge, air conditioning, phone and private terrace. The beds were comfortable and the bathroom was tiled with marble, although it was looking a bit dated. Our bungalow was at the back of the property and very quiet. The gardens and pool were so beautiful and relaxing, and our room so quiet, it was difficult to believe the property is actually on one of the main streets of Ubud.

As other reviewers have stated, the location is excellent, right in the heart of Ubud. There are many wonderful restaurants and shops nearby as well as the Ubud market. The bungalows are in the grounds of the palace and I understand are actually owned by the royal family.

The staff were very friendly and helpful, and the service was excellent. They do push tours quite a bit, but if you politely refuse, they are OK with that. There are many wonderful dance performances nearby, or you can do a Balinese cooking class, or take a scenic walk in the nearby rice fields.

I thought the Puri Saraswati was very good value for the money. Also has free wi-fi.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends