“Most excellent stay at the Ubud Village Resort & Spa”

The Ubud Village Resort & Spa
Ranked #29 of 197 Hotels in Ubud
Wellington
“Most excellent stay at the Ubud Village Resort & Spa”
Reviewed 1 December 2011

My partner and I have just returned from a wonderful stay at the Ubud Village Resort & Spa. We had originally booked for 3 nights, but ended up extending to 5 nights so that we could enjoy our villa and the surroundings some more.

We booked the resort largely based on the positive reviews on Trip Advisor, we definately were not disappointed. From the moment we arrived we were made to feel welcome by the gracious and attentive staff. We arrived late at night and the welcome drink and cool towel was a very much needed refreshment. We were shown to our villa which was all lit up beautifully, it was a lot larger and more luxurious than we were expecting. We made use of all the facilities in the villa including the great swimming pool which was fantastic for an early morning swim, the outdoor shower and the outdoor sunken bathtub - great for a candlelit bath! There were also some nice shady areas (outdoor day beds) where we could escape from the heat of the day. Our villa was number 213 on the very edge of the resort (a good choice if you want a quiet room). We woke up to lovely views over the rice fields. There were quite a few interesting animal noises from the rice fields and pond surrounding the villa but we got used to them.

Breakfast was served upstairs in the restaurant again overlooking the stunning rice terraces. We felt that the breakfast selection was sufficient and the food was delicious. I particularly enjoyed the pineapple jam. Just be aware that they give you a lot of food and you will probably need a nap straight after breakfast!! We had two dinners in the restaurant which we thoroughly enjoyed. It was nice to be able to sit outside and enjoy the ambient lighting and candles around the restaurant area. The cocktails were good too :) Included in our booking was a 1 hour aromatherapy massage which was bliss.

The resort is very large and it was never crowded even when it was fully booked. We were the only ones in the main resort swimming pool whenever we used it. The hotel shuttle into Ubud town was very handy as it was very hot when we were there so a bit too humid to walk into town. We did walk home on one occasion which took about 25mins. However, I'm glad that we stayed outside of Ubud itself as I have to say it was very nice to come back to the resort and escape the traffic.

There are a number of day trips that you can do from Ubud so it is a good spot to base yourself for a few days. The reception staff are more than happy to assist with any queries or reservations.

I was a little concerned about some of the previous comments around security at the resort. However we had no issues. As with any travel advice we were sure to secure our belongings in the in room safe - this was plenty big enough to store our laptop, 2 DSLR cameras and various wallets and documents. We also made sure to lock all the doors when we left the room. There was also a security guard at the front of the property.

Overall an excellent stay, good value for money and somewhere that we will be talking about for years to come. Can't wait until we can return!!!

Room Tip: If you want a nice quiet room ask for villa 213 - overlooks the rice fields just below the temple on...
2 Thank TravelB_NZ

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Melbourne
Reviewed 27 November 2011

The villas are large and the private swimming pools are lovely (although freezing). However, upon closer inspection you will notice everything is quite run down, worn and not in good condition (eg. faded pillows, broken decking, filthy telephone, grotty tiles etc).

The service was lovely, very attentive and the surrounding grounds and gardens are gorgeous. Everything is very green and the views to the rice paddies are lovely. We didnt have any issues with mosquitoes either.

The food however, very hit and miss. We heard alot of people complaining at breakfast. But it's really not far to venture into town and get a great meal.The free shuttle bus to/from main centre is handy and always arrived on time, as was the wifi.

Unfortunately security is a real issue at this resort. We had a man enter our villa (I actually caught him leaving, he said he was fixing the shower, when I asked why since our shower was fine, he ran out and said the shower next door was broken) and $200 USD was stolen. The staff although apologetic but confused, in the end thought I made it up or saw a ghost ! It was ridiculous. They promised to check the CCTV, but after lots of discussion admitted the CCTV doesnt show the front of the villa entrance at all, so there was no way they could see if anyone had entered. They spent a whole day trying to deal with the issue, by bringing in different staff and doing a line-up which I felt very uncomfortable about as there was no way I could be 100% sure (as I only spoke to him briefly and combined with the fact that I was in shock and confused to see a man in our villa and him running out very quickly) which guy it was and would never accuse someone of theft if I wasnt 100% sure it was him. In the end they said it couldnt have happened since I wouldnt pick out one of the staff.

We were left very upset by the whole ordeal (especially as we were there with our 9 month old baby) and felt very unsafe afterwards. I was so upset that they didnt believe me that I had spoken to the man. Why would I make it up, as if I could be bothered to spend a whole day dealing with this issue and police who laughed at me and said I must be confused, that I must have spent the money or misplaced it. Their argument was that nothing else was stolen - but I caught the guy in the middle of it, he didnt have time to take anything else but the money that was in my wallet (stupid me didnt leave it in the safe). This is an ok resort, but not secure enough (read other reviews re security) and very run down for only being 3-4 years old. Although most of the staff are beautiful and gentle and cant do enough for you, which is so typical of Bali, I found the whole theft experience and how it was handled unacceptable.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
15 Thank aka_cookie
ubudvillageresort, General Manager at The Ubud Village Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 7 December 2011
Dear Valued guest,

Thank you very much for staying with us recently and for taking the time
to share your feedback at Tripadvisor.

It is with great concern I noted your opinion comment regarding the lost
money as well as the security system at our resort.

The management has provide immediate respond in resolving this incident,
furthermore we have invited the police to investigate about this issue.
The police has directly informed to you about their finding, that there
was no indication or evident that the money was stolen from the villa, and
contrary at that time you were refusing to continue in investigating this
issue at the police office.

We fully respect your opinion about our resort, however your opinion do
not reflect the standard we strive to maintain at Ubud Village Resort,
safety and secure of our guest are our top priority, and security also put
a high restriction for an outsider to come in and out to our resort unless
they have a valid reason. Security guards are placed in each entry and
exit points of the resort and CCTVs are monitored 24 hrs. In addition we
have provided a safety box in each villa for the guest to keep safe their
valuable belonging.

Despite your unfortunate experience, I do hope that we will have the
opportunity of welcoming you and family back to the Ubud Village Resort &
Spa on a future occasion
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 27 November 2011

We stayed at this resort for the last 3 days of our Bali trip, I was looking forward to it after 4 days in Seminyak, Jimbaran all that traffic, drinking etc this part of the trip I was planning to put my feet up and relax in a private pool villa with views of the rice paddies.
First we have been greeted by a staff member, who asked our passports for checking in (perfectly fine) made us sat in front of him and started to explaining us things in such an unwelcoming way and soooo long, after 5 minutes I forgot that I was a paying guest in a hotel, I thought I was admitting to an army camp.
I was very surprised to see that an A4 unaligned, photocopied piece of papers, cut by someone in a rush given to us to carry around and hand them in the restaurant to get our free breakfast and also 4pm afternoon tea. (also you would expect this in an army camp usually in hotels/resorts you tell your room number to someone with a list at the door- especially at this price range)
Villa,the sunken outdoor tub, indoor outdoor showers, furnishings, gazebos - all picture perfect but not that useful.First you can not turn on your own pool lights so you need to call someone over to do that for you! Bit inconvenient, the rice paddies attract a lot of insects (very normal) therefore that outdoor sunken baths are not that romantic if your partner is afraid of bugs (when I say bugs, I do not mean the cute ones from the Disney's Bugz I mean hardcore ones)
Another thing was very annoying that our bed sheets has some stuff written on the corners by board marker or something like that, the type of things you write not to lose your belongings!
Overall I think it was a nice resort once upon a time and could not keep up with the standards in 2011 except the prices, just check out their spa price list you would understand, I think if they follow the service standards of 2011 as close as they did with the current pricing they might have returning guests or at least a referral.
PS One big positive was the free shuttle service takes you out of the resort ever hour.

Room Tip: Choose a room closer to the reception area so you might get a wi-fi signal whilst at the room.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 888alien888
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2011

Had a fantastic time at this resort on our honeymoon. The staff were so helpful they could be more friendly. The private villa which had amazing views over the rice paddies was completely private. From the sunken bath to the private pool with outdoor beds was the most fantastic place I have ever stayed. The resort itself was lovely and we managed to spend a good few hours by the hotel pool on the outdoor beds!

Breakfast was extensive and the afternoon tea with buffet was a lovely touch.

My only reservation before arriving was the distance to the centre of town, but the shuttle bus runs every hour and the drivers were more than happy to drop us off at different location I.e the monkey forest! After spending a day in the busy centre of ubud it was so lovely to be staying away from the noise and come back to the calm of the resort. It really enabled us to have the best of both worlds!

I am recommending this place to all my friends

Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed 11 November 2011

one of the few places that actually meets expectations and all of the hype. excellent value for money in terms of facilities, service and overall experience. lovely environment inside and out and perfect antidote to mega-resort accommodation. where else is an immense infinity pool usually empty? high quality made to order breakfasts and much appreciated afternoon tea. villa 216 offers complete privacy compared to some of the other villas. no view, but if you want to just be alone, this is the one.

Room Tip: 216 for complete privacy
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Manama, Bahrain
Reviewed 10 November 2011

We stayed at this picture perfect resort for the last 3 days of our honeymoon in a private pool villa with views of the rice paddies. The sunken outdoor tub was magical, indoor outdoor showers, furnishings, gazebos - all very tasteful and very comfortable (especially the soft cotton sheets!). The shuttles into town are great and if the shuttle is full, someone else from the hotel will be happy to drive you in. You can walk from the resort - perhaps 20mins to the Monkey Forest - but you do have to be a little careful at night as the footpaths (as we found in most of Bali) are damaged, dangerous and sometimes non-extistant. The breakfasts were great and even though I am vegetarian and don't eat eggs that look like eggs, the fruit, bread basket, cereal, fresh juice etc was enough (try the pineapple jam... so good). The staff do everything they can to make you feel welcome.
On our last night, after 3 days of rain, we had some flying ants in our room, more than we could deal with. We phoned reception who promptly sent someone to assess the situation and we were moved to another room for the rest of the night to sleep as it was quite late in the evening. The next morning while we were having breakfast, the hotel manager came and saw us (he would have had to phone the restaurant to check that we were there first), addressed us by our first names, checked that our sleep had been pleasant and to apologise for the bugs - not that they could be helped at all. It didn't really bother us, they do give you mosquito repellant etc to use if need be, but apart from that one night (and due to the rain) we weren't really bothered by bugs.
The grounds were breathtaking, rice paddies, lotus ponds, gorgeous lanterns throughout the garden, and the desserts we ordered as room service were delish. They also allowed us to order delivery to the hotel which was great as we could sample some of the local cafes and restaurants at great prices!
The wi-fi internet supposedly only works in the lobby and one restaurant, but we picked it up in our room and around the grounds also.

Room Tip: The villa with private pool overlooking the rice paddies is the best! Room 421
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 10 November 2011

We have stayed here for 6 nights in October and had a wonderful time. From the moment of check-in with a nice cool towel and welcome drink we felt at home. They also put up a sign near your front door with a welcome home text in your villa. Nice little gestures. The breakfast was more than adequate. We had dinner at their restaurant which was also very good, reasonably priced and good service.
We were fortunate to be upgraded to a villa with bigger pool which was again a very nice gesture. Their main pool is absolutely perfect and perfect for relaxing, reading etc. They also have a small gym with enough things to get you going. Their shuttle bus runs every hour until 10 pm which we used a lot. Every time we saw a member of the hotel we were greeted with a smile. At the front desk they were more than helpful, providing us information about the surroundings, restaurants etc. We were glad not to stay in the hustle and bustle of downtown Ubud but that is a personal choice.
If you are looking for a beautiful, intimate place to stay, not too far from downtown Ubud than this is your hotel!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple