“Lovely natural surroundings”

Ranked #63 of 198 Hotels in Ubud
South Africa
“Lovely natural surroundings”
Reviewed 23 May 2013

I stayed 3 nights at Nefatari, overall my experience was nice.
The staff are really friendly as with all places I have stayed in Bali.
I was upgraded to a 2 bedroom villa as the 1 bedroom wasn't available for all the nights I wanted to stay. It had a lovely outside area with big private pool and dining outside on the verandah.

The beautiful natural surrounding were really refreshing.
The room was nice and the bathroom was partly open air modern, unique and comfortable.
The place was beautifully clean in all aspects except for the mosquito nets around the bed.

The service was generally speaking quite good.
The staff are great at shuttling you around wherever you want to go in Ubud.

I did find a problem with the some of the staff not speaking very good English and there were several misunderstandings. Also several times things were left off my room service order (mainly the large bottle of water I requested each time that never arrived, I did in one case get hot water sent to my room instead of a bottle of water)

I also had a trouble with the outside lights at night that shone from around my pool area straight into my room...... There is no switch to these lights in the Villa so at night i had to call and ask them to switch off the lights which resulted in many phone calls until the correct lights were turned off.

There is a charm about the natural surroundings however it comes with the sounds and noises of animals from the next door property. I am a light sleeper and so i did not appreciate getting woken up by the rooster every morning before 6am. This probably wouldn't trouble someone is a heavier sleeper.

Lastly I do believe the 2 bedroom villa backs onto the staff area and with the partially open air bathroom I could hear all the staff chattering at night when I was trying to sleep I had to call reception to ask them to be quiet so I could sleep. Its better if the pool fountain is on during the night that masks the sounds but the pump is set to turn off at night!
In all fairness they did offer to move me to the 1 bedroom after the first night (that maybe wasn't backing onto the staff quarters) but I did not want to move after I had just arrived, In hindsight i should have moved.

I'd probably stay again next time with my husband but in a 1 bedroom suite thats a bit quieter.

Room Tip: Choose the 1 bedroom rooms away from the staff area.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank spiritwithin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 16 May 2013

Just love this place! I have stayed here 3 times and have booked the fourth already. Made and his staff do a wonderful job. These villas are value for money and offer a true bali atmosphere in amongst the rice paddies.

You don't have views because the villa walls are high, but it is very private. You can relax by the pool and listen to the birds, maybe some chickens and the occasional rooster crowing.

The rooms are huge with very comfortable beds, fantastic airconditioning and lovely stone indoor/outdoor bathrooms. They very thoughtfully light mozzie coils in the bathrooms every night during the turndown service.

We never saw the housekeeping staff. They would very discreetly attend to the villa while we were out!

Made included a pit roast duck meal for our family of 4 on our last visit which was very special.
The breakfasts are plentiful and fresh ordered straight off the menu. They can be served either in your villa or the restaurant. We have done both but felt very spoilt having breakfast served in the villa. The lunch and dinner menus are fairly simple but anything we have ordered has been lovely and very reasonably priced eg. nasi or me goreng 35 000 rupiah ($3.50AUS). Also worth noting - no additional taxes. Even the minibar prices are good - about $3 for a large bintang and $1.20 for a small bottle of coke. The free daily replenished minibar is a bonus.

The transport service they offer is fantastic with free airport transfers and endless Ubud transfers in and out. All of the drivers have been very friendly and very helpful in taking us to money exchangers, pharmacies, dvd shops and of course, the lovely restaurants. Agung recommended the rice paddy walk in Ubud and lunch at 'Sari Organik' along the walk. What a find! We really enjoyed the experience.

I always book direct with Made by email and get a response within 24 hours. Made is very genuinely interested in creating a bali experience that is value for money and he is certainly succeeding.

Thank you to Made and all the staff who do a wonderful job. We always feel very special when at Nefatari.

Room Tip: Villas Pacah and Sandat (2 Bed) have interconnecting doors, perfect for families
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Ngaire L
Sydney Australia
Reviewed 9 May 2013

I recently stayed at Nefatari as a part of a group of 10. Each couple had a private villa with our own pool. It was fabulous to wake up in the morning and to be able to go for a private swim. The team at Nefatari looked after us as though we were friends and nothing was a problem. Even though the villas are a little out of Ubud, there was always someone there ready to drive us into town or pick us back up.

I was really impressed with the team's willingness to encourage and support our group activities with good humour and brilliant service. I will definitely go back.

Room Tip: There is the choice of double or single villas, all of which are great. We were closer to the spa wh...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Robyn E
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 7 May 2013

This was an excellent place to stay in Ubud and we would definately go back. Absolutely everthing about Nefatari was top quality and the place represents absolutely top value. Don't worry that it is a little bit out of town - they provide excellent transport (see below) so the location is not a factor at all. This includes airport transfers which made getting to and from very easy.

Nefatari's individual villas are fantastic - large, roomy, architectually interesting, clean, light, well equipped and very well air-conditioned. Plenty of free drinking water and a free mini-bar (no alcohol). The private pools are magnificent. We were with a group of 10 so we got to see inside 5 different villas and they are all great, although the 2 bedroom ones are the pick and have full size fridges so you can stock up on beer/food from the supermarket in town if you want.

The staff were just unbelievable - friendly, engaging, helpful, attentive. Nothing was ever too much trouble and they just made us feel so welcome and at home. This especially applies to the drivers who took us into town and picked us up whenever we wanted. They never failed to be at the appointed meeting place at the appointed time. Once when we went to a nearby bar for a drink after dinner, the Nefatari driver who was picking us up at the restaurant tracked us down at the bar and had the bus out the front to save us the walk back to the restaurant. Every time any of us wanted to go anywhere, the drivers were ready and waiting to oblige. "Can we get a lift into town please?" - "When do you want to go?" - "Now?" -"OK" and they jump in the van and you go. Every time. It made us feel very special and the air-conditioned comfort of the Nefatari vehicles was greatly appreciated after a hot walk in town. They were also happy to load and unload our shopping and carry cases of beer etc into the villas for us to put in the fridges. Truly wonderful service.

The breakfasts (included) were excellent and you can order just about any combination of everything they have. The fresh juice was particularly good, especially the mixed juice which is magical! The coffee was also great and plentiful and served in lovely pottery. A special mention too for the cute cats who hang out in the breakfast area providing wonderful entertainment.

We only had dinner on site one night, which was included! It was very good and they let us party-on in the dining area afterwards. Again, nothing was too much trouble.

Also, the on-site spa/massage was the best we had anywhere on Bali and, again, included once - although we all went back and its very reasonably priced).

The whole place is just a bargain and a delight. Some of the other reviewers here talk of having been "enchanted" and I agree - there is something quite magical about Nefatari, it makes you feel very safe and happy and relaxed.

I totally recommend Nefatari and congratulate them on running such a wonderful property.

Room Tip: the 2 storey, 2 bedroom villas are the best, but they are all good. All the pools are about the same...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Vanmerino
Reviewed 4 May 2013 via mobile

I can't speak highly enough of this place! The staff are so lovely, they come and tidy your room every time you go out. We loved that it was a bit out of Ubud, it was very relaxing but still close enough. The hotel has a bus and they will drop you off and pick you up bit we ended up hiring a scooter which made it easier to do some exploring. We loved swimming at night in our own pool and hearing chanting across the rice paddies. Incredible value. Say hi to Ketut for us if you stay. Also recommend Round Bar for a drink.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Bbeccr
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 1 May 2013 via mobile

We have been travelling to and around Indonesia since the mid 1970s and we have learnt that, notwithstanding the level of accommodation, you can spend relatively moderate amounts and receive high level service and comfort.

This place however is a standout. It's primary advantage is the quality of the staff, for whom nothing is a problem. They are gracious, funny and incredibly helpful.

The villas are very spacious and have great privacy and a lovely pool.

The transport system works, the breakfast is good and the location is wonderful.

Book this very special place and you will be thrilled by your choice.

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bruceSydney
Newfoundland, Canada
Reviewed 26 April 2013

As a travel agent I have travelled extensively throughout North America, the Caribbean and Europe. However, no place has ever captured the heart the way that Bali has. I have stayed in high end, five star resorts around the world, but no hotel has ever enchanted me as much as Nefatari Villas.

This is a smaller property with only a handful of villas and I loved the intimate feel of this resort. We had a one bedroom pool villa and it was excellent. Huge king bed, small table and chairs, comfortably decorated with a true Balinese decor. My favorite part was the outdoor bathroom. I loved it! I loved showering in the morning as the sun came up, with the birds chirping in the background. It was private and beautiful complete with a tub and shower. I also loved the outdoor living areas, the patio area, the dining area, the pool. The courtyard walls are high so although you have no views, you have lots of privacy. It was great to relax in your own garden area

Nefatari is about a five minute drive from the heart of Ubud, bit this was never a problem. The free shuttle service was excellent. We were picked up at the airport as arranged, and they drove us into Ubud whenever we wanted. I really liked the location. It was so quiet at night with no blazing lights so you could look up and see the stars and enjoy the sounds of nature. Be aware that there is a rooster nearby who will wake you up in the morning, but after the first morning I didn’t even hear it.

We ate breakfast daily at the restaurant, although you can get it delivered to your room. Food was excellent – loved both the banana and pineapple pancakes and the French toast. We never took advantage of the afternoon tea but it was included in the price of the hotel and could be delivered to your villa. Also included in the villa was a stocked fridge with water and soft drinks and some snacks – a very nice touch.

Because we were celebrating our 15th anniversary, the hotel prepared for us a special romantic dinner at our villa. It was amazing. We returned from a busy day tour to find a beautiful table set for dinner, and candles surrounding the pool. The food was excellent – a spring roll, a lovely mushroom soup, and grilled chicken. They even arranged for a cake for us. It was absolutely amazing and we so appreciated this very kind gesture.

For me, the highlight of our stay, however, was the wonderful staff. The service throughout the resort was attentive. But more than that, it was genuine and heartfelt. They truly want you to enjoy your stay at the villa, and in Bali. This kind of authentic hospitality is hard to find. But we found it here in Nefatari Villas.

Bali has become my new favorite place on earth, and I think no trip to Bali is complete without spending time in Ubud. I enjoyed strolling through the town, shopping in all the boutiques and stores, bartering at the markets. We ate at some wonderful restaurants including Taco Casa and Melting Wok Warung. I highly recommend the Melting Wok – be sure to make a reservation though. It was great to explore Ubud and then relax in the tranquility of Nefatari Villas. If I had any suggestions for improvement it would be: replace the pillows as they were very flat and musty; maybe include a floor fan, as it could be a little too warm hot in the villa in the evenings. But these are minor drawbacks – I cannot wait to return to my Balinese paradise at Nefatari Villas.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple