“Great value, lovely location”
Review of Melati Cottages

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Melati Cottages
Ranked #257 of 598 Speciality Lodging in Ubud
Reviewed 28 October 2012

I will start this review with my only criticism - the rooms are a little worn and the bathrooms could do with an update. They are scrupulously clean, but their age makes them look a little grotty, and that is the only reason I am not giving Melati 5 stars. Apart from that, I have only good things to say about Melati Cottages. The gardens are stunningly beautiful, the views across the rice padis are lovely and the location is handy to Ubud if you don't mind a bit of a walk or are prepared to pay (very little) for a taxi. The staff could not be more friendly and helpful, and the food is really good and great value. If you want somewhere inexpensive to base yourself for a long stay in Ubud, you could not pick a better place. Also handy to know that the staff will double you on the back of a bike to Ubud or Bintang supermarket for 30,000Rp return (about AUD 3). A tip to the management - spend a little on updating the bathrooms and you will recoup the cost in no time.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the rice padis get the afternoon sun and can be quite hot. Ask for a room on the east s...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 27 October 2012 via mobile

My sister was doing a yoga retreat and I met up with her after she finished and was lucky enough to get room 7 all to myself! I could not believe what I got for the price (40 au per night) i had this huge apartment with aircon a bathroom with bath and a big balcony overlooking my very own rice paddy also overlooking the pool and resturant it was a family room with my 4 poster bed with nets and 2 single bed. The staff were lovely and my room was serviced and. CLean linen everyday. The pool is lovely and u get a basic brekky but Alchemy is only a 2 min walk through the lovely paths ( you don't have to walk along the road) and Yellow flower and Lilly's restaurants are 5 mins away plus heaps more nowhere near the busy roads its heaven! I will be returning for sure! Note the price i paid was because hardly anyone was there

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 22 October 2012

My first stop in Ubud and what a sanctuary after Kuta! Spent 4 nights on a retreat with a group and felt sorry to leave. Gracious and unassuming staff who remember your name and melt into the background until you need their assistance. As previous reviewers noted, some of the trimmings aren't present and a good clean of the mozzie nets is overdue, but general cleanliness is good and the positives far outweigh these small details. Our shower curtain was clean. Slept deeply on comfortable bed despite lack of air con. No extras like bar fridge or hairdryer in bungalows but very spacious and deck area wonderfully large.
The gardens are meticulously maintained each day by a band of staff sweeping up stray leaves. Breakfast has volume and variety sufficient to satisfy. If you want more trimmings, there are villas rather than bungalows. Location is a little out of Ubud and brings more of a village feel, yet still offers easy access to some special eateries,massage centers and short walks through restful paths and rice paddies. Well worth considering for the price. I'd return.

Room Tip: If you want total privacy pay the extra for a villa as walls in bungalows very thin!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 September 2012

A beautiful grounds with spacious rooms, a nice pool, good breakfast, and helpful staff. I've seen cleaner bathrooms in my life, but have also definitely seen much dirtier ones. The location is a somewhat intense walk from Monkey Forest road and it's surroundings, but it's doable. Plus, there are shops and restaurants closer by if you don't want to wander into town.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jennifer G
Reviewed 25 August 2012

When reviewing this place, it must be remembered that this is a low - mid range resort. I stayed here for sixteen days and had a room to myself for $35 AUS. The room was very large and spacious with a double bed and a single bed, charming wooden floors and a huge balcony over looking the surrounding gardens and pool. The rooms are cleaned every day and a fresh ( albiet grey colored) towel is artistically placed on the freshly made bed, topped off with hibiscus or franjipani. My biggest gripe with this place is the mouldy shower curtains. I just dont understand why this has to be the case. If I come to stay next time I will bring my own!
The mosquito nets are also a bit grubby and I aggree with Raquel84, this may not be the place for you if this sort of thing bothers you. Normally I would find this too much, but there is such a charm about this place, I am able to overlook the less than perfect finishing details.
There is a very gorgeous walking path from Melatti to the Flower Cafe and Intuitive Flow Yoga Centre and although Melati is a twenty minute walk into the bustle of Ubud, I enjoyed the quiet feel once I returned here.

Room Tip: There is one block of rooms, that are smaller than the others. If you are not happy with the room yo...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank AnOffering
Reviewed 23 August 2012

If you aren't precious then you'll appreciate the good things about the place. Yes the rooms are a little dully lit and the curtain could do with a wash.They clean rooms daily and do this well. For the money they setting is gorgeous and the pool is lovely and it's clean. There's not much in the way of things going on which we loved and they less than push you for extras which is also a change from most other places we stayed.

It's quite far out but in a lovely quiet area and if you don't mind the walk into the busy centre it's ideal.

I'd give it a very good rating but that would be a bit too forgiving if you were to think of it as very good accommodation. It needs some TLC!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Actually, I had had a booking for another hotel for three days, but after the second day I moved to Melati Cottages.
Melati Cottages is a very nice place giving you the feel of really BEING in Ubud. Away from the hectic of Monkey Forest Road, but still within walking distance (15 minutes) to the town's buzzling life, I consider it as a very good option for a stay in Ubud. The pool is very nice, too, and - as always - in Indonesia, the staff is very friendly and helpful

Room Tip: I would go for the upper floor in one of the bungalows.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo