“Peaceful location”
Review of Melati Cottages

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Melati Cottages
Ranked #201 of 538 Speciality Lodging in Ubud
Winchester, England, United Kingdom
“Peaceful location”
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

Located just outside of Ubud, which is actually a bit of a relief from the busyness. You can however walk to the centre of Ubud in about 10-15 minutes (or it's just a few minutes in a cheap taxi). There are some cafés and shops nearby if you didn't want to go to the centre each day.

The rooms are clean, large and have a sense of character which fit well with the surrounding rice fields.

Staff are friendly and hospitable. Breakfast is good. I arranged an airport pick up with them which was convenient and good value.

I booked my transport to the Gili Islands with them through convenience and limited time to sort it out in town. However, there is a significant mark-up.... So it's best to book this elsewhere if you're heading that way.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Indonesian first
Bellingham, Washington
Reviewed 28 February 2014

As a solo traveler I spent about a week and a half at Melati Cottages this February. From the location (Penestanan so a little quieter than the hustle of Ubud but close enough to walk to the city center) to the staff (I don't want to leave them) to the room (clean, private, spacious) it was just all fantastic.

I treated Melati as a home base while I explored the island. Nights I was gone from my room I just let them know and they charged me half price.

Oh and one more perk is a great breakfast served every morning! I will absolutely be staying here next time in the Ubud area.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank errose
New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We stayed here for 5 nights at the end of our holiday in Bali. The upstairs room with fan was lovely. Unfortunately for us there was a European family who left their toddler from 10 am till 9 pm with Balinese carers and we had to endure the noise of its tantrums etc. Also there was loud African drumming on many nights nearby ?? If you had noisy guests in the next room it could be noisy otherwise it was lovely.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 October 2013

The staff are very helpful. There was a bit of a blip with our driver not arriving at the airport for the late night arrival, but we took a taxi and it was fine. We were greeted and taken to our rooms by friendly staff.

In the morning I discovered the beautiful gardens and rice paddies.

The walk into Ubud can be a bit scary because there is no footpath. However, there is a wonderful back way through winding paths and rice paddies. It is about a 20 minute walk but you definitely need a map!

We also did the ridge walk which is wonderful! On returning we found out that the hotel owner would have walked with us. We will ask him to take us next time.

The hotel owner was our driver for the day when we left for our next destination in Amed. He was very knowledgeable and accommodating, showing us many beautiful sights.

We will definitely return next year when we come for the Ubud Writers Festival once again.

Room Tip: All rooms are good but you will need to be able to negotiate steps.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Perth
Reviewed 20 August 2013

My first stay at Melati was some time ago now (2009), but I've been meaning to contribute a review ever since then. This place was my first ever experience of Ubud and therefore memorable. It was recommended to me by a friend who swore that I wouldn't find such a nicer place with such a big room at such a reasonable price, anywhere else in Ubud, and I think she was probably right!

I arrived in the wee hours and was greeted warmly by manager Nyoman nonetheless and given a cool welcome drink. A reassuring start! I woke in the morning and enjoyed a great buffet breakfast- a choice of the local banana pancake fare with pawpaw and other tropical fruit, plus good coffee and European food options. I was stuck by the beauty of the gardens with all its sculptures.

Unfortunately, there was no window curtain in my aircon'd room, which meant no privacy while bathing, but this was addressed by relocating me to room 3, a large more private place near the family compound at the end of the complex, for only a small upgrade fee. Fan only but it was fine. I was paying around AU$25/night from my online booking, in low season October, so this didn't bother me. I loved the room, which faces an almost-private stretch of lawn and alos had a spare bed plus a day bed and could have accomodated my toddler and his teenage sister, as well as my partner and myself. A bit of noise through the ceiling the upstairs room, but I take earplugs to Bali- there's no way to escape people noise, scooter noise, buzzing mosquitos and roosters, so futile to try to control or complain about these things, in my opinion!!!

Melati is removed enough from Ubud town centre that you need to be willing to walk a lot or catch taxis, but the most you would pay is around $3 and you can also hop on the back of a local's scooter or motorbike- by far the coolest way to travel in Bali- for $1 or so. Otherwise, perfect for someone who just wants to rest and laze around the pool and to go for occasional, restorative walks through the rice fields.

Penestanan itself is interesting, with a few galleries to explore- it is known as the artists village. Best of all are the nearby rice paddies to walk through. A bit dry post-harvest in October, but I've also been there in April when there was young green rice aplenty. One of my favourite eateries in Bali is Warung Made, which sits like a little oasis in the rice fields, and can be accessed via the path that leads out of the back entrance to Melati Cottages. Ask for directions if lost.

The B&B offers massage, but another lovely option in Penestanan is Cantika off Jalan Penestanan opposite Puri Bukit Sari (also a lovely villa to stay in). At Cantika, they make their own shampoo conditioner and other products such as all natural insect repellent, which I've made a point of buying when in Ubud, even if I haven't stopped there for a massage, so yummy are they to the nose!

You are in the right end of town (north west?) if you need anything from the Bintang supermarket, which is walking distance away or an easy taxi journey. I'm not sure if this has changed, but there was no bottled water supplied at Melati, however you can stock up or buy a large container of water at Bintang, along with any other supermarket items, mobile phone sims, alcohol souvenirs etc. Ditto room fridge- not sure if this has changed but there weren't fridges when I stayed at Melati. There was however free wifi in the luch, comfortable lobby and dining area, so you could blog or Facebook or upload photos over brekky!

I thought Melati Cottages was a great option for a budget traveller, a good mix of comfort and simplicity, with great room service and friendly, helpful, efficient staff. I know doors open for me when in Bali, since I speak reasonable Indonesian, but I think this is a friendly place regardless. If I were to make a snap decision to holiday in Bali on a budget, and didn't particularly want to explore new places, I would cheerfully stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank QuayofSea
melbourne
Reviewed 20 May 2013

I just spent several nights at Melati cottages and it's a great choice if you are looking for something clean, basic and quiet (with a pool). Prices start at around $25 a night for a single room in low season which includes breakfast (basic but adequate). The staff are all very lovely and couldn't be friendlier. My only suggestion would be to provide a communal water dispenser in reception so guests don't have to keep buying water bottles (from the hotel or elsewhere) and adding to Bali's already significant problem of plastic waste. I hope the hotel can consider this. It would make a big difference environmentally and also provide a great service at little cost.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank kittentraveller
San Diego, California
Reviewed 17 April 2013

Melati Cottages is a small place to stay in Ubud. It has about 8 cottages in each building. The rooms are a bit dated, but it is a comfortable bed in a great quiet location. The staff was very friendly and helpful, and the free breakfast was wonderful. Every morning their was fresh fruit, banana or pineapple filled crapes, or omelets, and sometimes some yummy toast.

Room Tip: Not all the rooms have air condition, so request it when you make your reservation.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family