“Heaven in the rice fields”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Melati Cottages

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Melati Cottages
Ranked #197 of 527 Speciality Lodging in Ubud
travelingcat09
“Heaven in the rice fields”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2009

I have stayed at Melati twice for two weeks each time, (in October 06 and August 08) and return in May 09 for a third stay of three weeks. It is a 10 minute walk into bustling Ubud; Melati is quiet and safe & welcoming. As a woman traveling solo, I am always very conscious my surroundings. I feel very safe at Melati. The staff has always treated me & my fellow travelers with the utmost respect and honesty. I cannot imagine staying anywhere else whilst in Bali. It's not a five-star luxury hotel, but the rooms in my experience are clean & comfortable - and always a fresh creatively folded towel on the bed each day, with a fresh flower.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Indonesian first
Desert of southern CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2009

I've been to Bali twice on business and stayed at Melati Cottages both times, two weeks on each visit. I found the place magnificently beautiful, friendly, and it felt safe and secure. If I return to Bali, I will be there a third time. The staff is a bunch of angels.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank MisterJupiter
Old Warden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2009

Surprised to read other reviews. Stayed for 2 weeks in Melati, and loved it so much I can't wait to go back. Location is superb, people charming. Room was great - spacious, clean and I appreciated the little details like a fragrant frangipani flower tucked into the folded sheets or towels. The best breakfasts ever, and also good Wifi connection which is free. For me, Melati is like 'home away from home'.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank Whitestarlion
perth, western australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2009

I feel compelled to respond to the negative reviews of Melati. I stayed here in 2008 and again in mid-April 2009 because, for the money (currently 3850,000 rp a double inc breakfast, ie US$38 or slightly under A$50) ) it offers excellent value. I dont rate the restaurant much, but i cant complain about the breakfast. Fresh fruit, decent coffee, very weak tea (ask for strong) and own-made bread. I found the staff helpful and considerate. Foolishly, I left my mobile phone lying around the patio and indoors and it was always there when i went back. Ditto my passport and other dox, which I locked in my cupboard. Security guards are employed at night, although they seem to do quite a lot of sleeping on the reception lounges, bless them :). Room cleaning was entirely adequate during both my stays. The pool is clean and not at all cold (!!) but a word of warning: Two of my group fell on the very slippery tiles around the pool, so do urge kids not to run. Don't book room 11, which has a downstairs loo separate from the room and is a little dingy. Room 8 is aircond and lovely. Bathrooms throughout are adequate but charmless. During my April visit, I checked out another 10 or so semi-budget setups and Melati was by far the best of them. I did like Artini 2 for its lovely rock wall-backed pool area and proximity to the action, but the rooms were nowhere near the size or airiness of those at Melati.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
4 Thank tallergirl2
New York Area
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2009

I stayed at Melati Cottages for two weeks. Went for a workshop with a group of about 25 colleagues. The lack of cleanliness and poor food went with the low price so I had no expectations there. I am writing this review because on the eve of my departure date when I started to pack, I found that my passport, credit card and money had been taken from my suitcase. I had kept all locked in my suitcase until last day when I had to change rooms to accomodate them and I got careless and left it unlocked.
It was Friday and I had to wait till Monday for the American Consulate to open. I had to FLY on Monday to Java to get an emergency passport and then back to Bali to fly home. Besides the ordeal and expense it added 21 hours of travel to my return trip. I had to go through extra time in US Customs for them to check my identity and was told I may have to do that after every trip in case someone is using the passport after altering it.
The management acted so sorry on the surface but did absolutely nothing meaningful to help me get it back. They told me they "asked" their staff if they had seen it, they searched the rooms, gardens etc but I had not taken it out of the room. They obviously were not going to acknowledge it was theft. It seemed all they cared about was not looking bad and protecting themselves. Another member of our group had her phone taken and she offered a reward and got it back (after being asked to up her reward). I also offered a reward but because I had involved the police (needed a report for American authorities) for sure it wasn't going to "show up".
Fortunately, I am a seasoned traveler and had a photocopy of the passport and extra fotos with me. This made it a lot easier to replace quickly. Please also do not use the security boxes. They tell you they have only one key and then it is your word against theirs.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
Issaquah, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2008

Luckily I read the other traveler's review the night before I stayed at Melati Cottages so at least I knew what to expect. The gardens are really beautiful. The pool is clean (although really, really cold!). The restaurant is charming enough, however the food is low quality and some of the worst in all of my stays in Bali. The room was indeed huge. But, I had been told that I would have a king sized bed and one extra single. This was imperative since my husband and I were to have our five year old son sleep with us. The bed was only a queen and a single and there were no extra beds to roll in. There are zero "extras" at Melati. We received exactly two towels and were told there weren't any extras to spare. There's nothing like a hand towel or bottled water or a flower on the sink. It's almost as if they stopped caring about the maintenance when they last opened in the 80s. We were told that they are slowly remodeling the rooms, but as to date, they've only gotten to one room. The shower rod in the bathroom was old and rusted. The shower curtain was moldy and wasn't even clipped up all the way. (How hard is that to prepare?) The screen was full of grit and dust. The toilet seat was dislocated. The staff seems removed. Had I never seen any other well kept places for the same cost then perhaps I would have been more tolerant. I do not recommend a visit to Melati Cottages unless you have no where else to stay.

• Liked — the gardens
  • Disliked — the lack of care for the room
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2008

If you can find somewhere else I'd recommend it. Melati is in a lovely setting, and has great potential, but its let down by a lack of care. My room was huge but there was no air-con (fan only) which in humid weather isn't enough. Cleaning was limited to mopping the floors - not even wiping around the bath. There was long-term grime on spots like light switches and around the windows. Light bulbs were 25 watt so I found myself reading by torchlight at night. I had problems getting things back from the laundry service promptly - sometimes it took two days. There was no fridge in the room, so it was impossible to keep things cool. the electric mozzie repeller didn't work. The mattress was foam rubber, with no mattress protector, so in humid weather it fast became damp and uncomfortable. The food in the hotel restaurant was blah. A number of people in our group had maintenance problems in their rooms, mostly with plumbing. Its cheap, but it shows.

• Liked — pleasant setting
  • Disliked — lack of cleaning
  • Stayed June 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)