“Below par for the money as a day spa”

and 1 more site!
Ubud Sari Health Resort
Ranked #137 of 198 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 11 August 2011

I booked a whole day of services and spent like $150 but was disappointed. Instead of having staff who specialize in certain areas, the same lady was to do soup-to-nuts the massage, body wrap, facial, hair treatment and mani/pedi. She had to leave by 3pm so I was handed off to another lady. They were both trying to keep their game faces on, but they seemed unhappy and overworked. I felt sorry for them and was trying to chat a bit. They revealed that they get the same wage whether it is busy or not, so they are exhausted during high season. They didn't go to any special spa schools but are trained on the job.

My massage was OK but uninspired; the flower bath wasn't scented with frangipani or any fragrant flowers, just plain ol' red flowers; the steam room disgusting and not even working properly. I had no idea what was being slathered over me for the body rub or facial at any point as we could not communicate with one another. The special cream hair bath was L'Oreal. I thought I was at a natural place?? Everything about the spa areas seems dated as if they are not investing in the infrastructure and equipment. It was just all pretty mediocre. For the price, I expected better.

They make you lock your purse in the front even though there are lockers in the changing rooms. It made me suspicious that they did not want us to be near our money to be able to tip the staff if we wanted and I didn't feel that the management would give the money to the ladies so I had to go around to find them afterwards. So, if they don't seem to be investing in staff either, where is all the money going????

On the up side, it is a lush tropical setting that is quiet and secluded so it is relaxing. And the food was good in the cafe.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo

Reviewed 9 June 2011

We really liked our clubhouselike room. The parts were the outdoor bathroom and all the glass doors that slide open. Very cool maze-like setting and jungle feel. The pool is in a super cool location.

• Stayed: June 2011
3  Thank Drewskya
Reviewed 10 May 2011

The first time I took my mum - its a true detox in beautiful surroundings. My mum has diabietes and within a few days of eating raw foods her blood sugar levels were normal.
A year later I took my family - they all loved it - my kids had a great time trying the menu - one of my kids does not do vegetables and salad and he ate at the restaurant every night.

Room Tip: Riverside for singles / family the Zen cottages
  • Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank MissDetox
Reviewed 17 March 2011

I really enjoyed and needed this great week at Ubud Sari. I did the "Healing Week" and was suprised at how you could cope with the fasting with the fantastic juices.

Thanks to the other reviews I was prepared about the "counsellor" not being a health professional and I was lucky enough to get a "Zen" cottage. It was beautiful, quiet and very relaxing. The staff were very supportive and helpful and changing anything on the program was easy, you just have to ask.

I can understand people being disappointed if they don't get the Zen Villa ( I would be) and one of the other guests' rooms did get bed bugs, however they were immediately moved and the rooms treated. It does seem to be a recurring comment. I didn't have them.
The massages did have different levels of skill and different techniques. I loved the deep tissue and the detox wrap so I just asked to change. The staff were great.

Make sure you bring good walking and hiking shoes (especially if you are going to attempt the volcano hike). They will get muddy!

I had a great time, really needed the time out, but you can hit the shops/markets which are within walking distance.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank YellowDragonGirl
Reviewed 25 December 2010

We stayed in the Ubud Sari Health Resort as part of a birthday celebration and partly to escape the madness of our earlier destination : Kuta.

My boyfriend and myself booked a Zen Cottage for 3 nights and were so looking forward to a relaxing oasis for much needed rejuvenation and deep cleansing.

When we arrived, we were met by a friendly receptionist and were presented with a 'welcoming drink'. How nice I thought!

The place, however, did not disappoint. Almost immediately, the surroundings, beautiful greenery and chilled ambience had a soothing effect.

Our zen cottage was just a little haven. A two-storey affair with an upstairs bedroom surrounded by open windows with views of trees, blue skies and raw nature. We enjoyed nothing more than to simply lie on our comfortable bed just looking out the windows and listening the delightful sounds of the waterfalls outside.

The cottage was just charming and everynight, the staff would come in to light incense before preparing your space for sleeping i.e. shutting windows, plugging in anti-mosquitoes devices etc. Was such a sweet touch.

The treatments and the staff were wonderful and I couldn't praise them enough for their care and attention.

I would say, however, that the restaurant is slightly over-priced and you would probably be better off going down the road to a few of the cheaper options which have a wider choice in menu.

Overall, I am only sad that I didn't stay longer and I would defintely come back!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mssunshine12
Reviewed 15 November 2010

Had just two nights in Ubud and ended up here per a favorable review. The regular rooms are perched over shallow coy ponds and many (mine) backed up to a rushing narrow stream which is nice for sleeping except it allows the MANY mosquitoes to come in your room. Of course they had very nice mosquito nets that were in good repair but a combination of keeping the AC inside and keeping the bugs out forced the decision of keeping the sliding doors closed. The experience would have been better had the staff been able to speak better English but they were most gracious and helpful nonetheless. The only complain about the room is that all the glass needed a really thorough cleaning and the bedspread was musty which was more a function of the environment than necessarily their housekeeping. This is more of a rustic experience but the AC made it quite tolerable. Be sure to take advantage of the yoga classes and the meditation classes, not to mention all their cleansing and healing programs. The nicest part is that this place was just slightly off the beaten path but almost right in the middle of everything at the same time. The breakfast included in room rate was nice and very well presented but not great if you have a hearty appetite. They have other menu choices (hot items like omelets) at breakfast for additional charge.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Twowilliams
Reviewed 24 August 2010

Ubud was part of a trip in Indonesia (Sulawesi, Bali, Lombok and Java).
I'm a bit surprised to read bitter and negative comments about this place. First of all don't forget we are in Asia and are not paying for the Four Seasons's service.
The location is superb (quite central but silent), never had such good sleep in Asia (it was my third time in Ubud); breakfast is light fresh (yummi juices) and delicious. The staff is amazing: they do everything possible to make you happy always with a smile. The laundry service is more than excellent and on a fair price. Our room was not in the zen villa section (we had the cheapest accomodation riverside) but was kept clean every day with fresh towels and we had load of space (I strongly recommend room #15) with a perfect silent air conditioning system (another important thing in Asia: it is not nice when you have to put ear plugs not to hear the noise of the air conditioning ).
Our best friends were in the zen villas and they were very happy about the room and the service too.
If I'll go back to Bali once again (why not) I will visit Ubud Sari Health Resort for sure and maybe consider even the week programs they have.

Go for it.