“great people”

and 1 more site!
Ubud Sari Health Resort
Ranked #136 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 6 June 2008

We didn't care for the the hotel we booked (it was beautiful but creepy) and moved to another, then we found Sari and wished we had stayed there from the start. It is family owned and the family is so very gracious. It is a bit secluded and has a great vibe.

We enjoyed great food and great spa treatments (just massage, sauna and whirlpool). It was here that we made good friends with locals and visitors. Our trip to Bali wouldn't have been nearly as meaningful had we not stumbled upon this welcoming place.

• Stayed: October 2005, travelled with friends
1  Thank audigraph
There are newer reviews for Ubud Sari Health Resort

Reviewed 24 May 2008

We've stayed at this resort because their website was nice and the massage seemed to be good with healthy restaurant. Turned out to be the restaurant was nothing but a small coffee shop kind, not enough menu to choose from, so we stayed outside to eat, but most of all, one of the worst massages we've ever had. The therapist was not concentrating what she does, spa facility looked filthy, mildewy, the massage bed was not quite massage bed, having hard time to breathe while on the bed. The towel didn't smell fresh. The decoration was very tacky, waterfall sound was too much, impossible to sleep, emailing this hotel usually returns after 4, 5 days, front desk people are not communicating each other well, the price of stay was different depends on who is in charge at the front desk.

The room smelled also mildewy, takes long time to have hot water, water leaks, roaches, rats, frogs. Nice zen style outside but once you stay there, you do not want to go back.

Their breakfast has just two choices, yeah, just two....

I felt sorry for average workers who are working so hard.

Simply put, the management has a big flaw. This facility could be really nice if the owner finds the right person to run this resort, obviously need big upgrade for SPA facility. We don't want to go in a tub where you see somebody else's hair, just one vynal curtain to separate and someone else is in another tub. (they don't separate men and women!)

We both went to various kind of massage salon in Ubud, half price than Ubud Sari and better massage, clean facility.

• Stayed: May 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Susan_brit
Reviewed 8 March 2008

I went to Ubud Sari for a 'Body, Mind & Spirit Rejuvenation Programme' and feel totally transformed. I went after having 12 years of chronic health problems and needing to spend some time by myself, so travelled alone.

The staff are absolutely amazing; I was allocated two 'leaders' for my 7 night stay and they made sure I was looked after at every point of the trip. I felt extremely welcome and at ease whilst in the retreat, with smiling staff around every corner.

My programme involved juice fasting for 6 days and the juices were extremely fresh and made to order (or made to prescription if directed by the practitioners). The treatments were first class and even during the colonics, which are never going to be terribly dignified, I was put at ease and treated with care. The daily sunrise walks and yoga were energising, and a great start to the day.

Some of the facilities could do with a little loving care and perhaps a lick of paint here and there, but the service and treatments well made up for it in my eyes. The cosy bungalows are cleaned throroughly daily and were spotless. The retreat is well placed for wandering into Ubud and exploring the shops & attractions.

As for my health problems, well I haven't been cured - I never expected to be - but I have come back with a totally different outlook, have much more energy and am much more positive.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled solo
4  Thank nevy79
Reviewed 25 October 2007

I was recommended Ubud Sari by my driver for a massage/spa treatment and was disappointed by the facilities.

I had a Traditional Mandi Lulur for USD 25 that lasted 1.5 hours. The massage itself was good. Unfortunately the whole experience was marred by the fact that the facilities were extremely run down.

The changing room facilities were unclean including the lockers to store your clothes. The massage rooms were pretty bare. The bathtub for the flower bath was really old and there was mildew. The steam room was just icky.

I didn't really enjoy the spa experience because of my discomfort with the cleanliness of the place.

I certainly will not go there again.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HolidayNutSi
Reviewed 8 August 2007

We booked Ubud Sari Health Resort as our second stay in Ubud and when we called them to find out about being picked up they couldn't find our reservation - turned out the manager had confirmed numerous e-mails but had never passed them on to reservations. We were offered free massages to compensate for the mistake and when we went to see them a few days later they had family villa free due to a cancellation. We decided to cancel the nights we had booked at Puri Saraswati and take the villa at a, slightly, reduced rate.

The villa was nice enough (no hot water though) but the resort grounds looked like they hadn't been well tended for a while and we had big brown stains on the top of our mosquito net.

On our first night we heard a noise in our bedroom and whenever we switched on the, dim, lights we couldn't find out where it was coming from. In the morning we found a plastic bag had moved to the other side of the room and the only item of clothing that was left out (my fav bikini bought just for the honeymoon) had holes right through it. The noises continued throughout the night. The reception staff thought it might be a cat.

On the second night we were out on the porch and saw 2 large mice/medium rats running along the beams - they had came out of our room. After another disturbed sleep we got up first thing and told a passing employee but that night when we returned nothing had been done so we asked reception to please block any holes while we went out for dinner. When we got back late we found that all they did was set a trap with coconut in it and when we looked for further traps we found that the stain on the top of the mozzie net was caused by it being covered in droppings.

Another disturbed night where the mice decided to keep climbing on top of the bed and down behind our heads. We waited to see if they were going to block the holes (I really didn't want to have to move hotel again and had convinced my husband to stay) and asked about it at reception that night only for the man at reception to say that it was a common problem for a villa with a thatched roof that is in the "jungle". His attitude clearly implied that we were being fussy to not want mice in the room. At that point I got annoyed and said that when you stay at a place that has 'health resort' as part of it's name you do not expect mice running around in your room all night and droppings all over your bed.

We went for our massage only to find the steam room was mouldy, the sauna is tiny (fits 3 at most) and that the cold whirlpool is dangerous to step into. The showers also have half size doors so the attendants can stand watching you take your shower after your treatment and anyone who enters can see you in the buff.

I have stayed in many places and this is without a doubt the worst.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Willow1212
Reviewed 23 May 2007

Sari health resort

Great massages, pedicure, awful colonics.
Cottages on the waterfall side seemed what cramped, hot water wasn’t working and the ceiling was decorated with damp marks the view from the tiny balcony was beautiful but the sounds from the invisible waterfall kept you up most of the night unless you have good earplugs, you better book a cheaper room with no waterfall view, because its noisy and you cant see it.
The massages and the pedicure were great. Pedicure was done lying in a lazy chair looking out over the green jungle and was well done. The massage was also super, however I received a colonic twice with no effect, and it was very uncomfortable. Next time I would not try to safe money but do it in a western country. In addition, the steam room and the sauna were no big deal.
It was a very quite place, friendly staff, but not that super as it seems on the web. Nevertheless, for a good massage or for one night stay not bad.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple