“Home Away From Home”

Ranked #55 of 198 Hotels in Ubud
Bundaberg
“Home Away From Home”
Reviewed 21 June 2012

This was my second stay at Ketut's Place and I plan to stay again next year. I didn't want a 5 star Hotel experience. I wanted to be part of a Balinese family and learn more about their culture and staying at Ketut's Place was an excellent base from which to present my friends the highlights of Bali. It is quiet and a pleasent walk down to the main street of Ubud. The surroundings are beautiful and well maintained. The owners when shown respect and a genuine interest in their culture are only too happy to make your stay a comfortable and positive experience. The cooking class is very informative and personal and the Balinese Banquet a must. All the staff and Ketut's children are always courteous and I feel very welcome. I am happy to recommend this accommodation.

Room Tip: If you don't mind walking down steps, the deluxe rooms are larger and overlook the lush jungle r...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank TAACAT

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 28 April 2012

My husband and I stayed at Ketut's Place for 3 days. It was one of the cleanest places we have stayed at in Ubud. A very charming place. My one complaint, the owners are not too friendly. My husband is actually fluent in Bahasa Indonesia and so the language barrier was not a problem. They were courteous enough, but people are made to feel like they were imposing. Would I recommend the place? sure- for a couple of days. The breakfast offered in the morning is fine (I am not a big breakfast eater, so it was enough) but for someone looking for a feast, that is not the place. It is a very clean place, so in that respect, I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms on the top floors- they are breezier since it does get very hot and the view is be...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank R B
Toronto
Reviewed 27 April 2012

I stayed in a second story room at Ketuts place and very much enjoyed my experience. The breakfast was good and on time, but I did not order anything additional, although e prices were reasonable. The bed was comfortable, room was clean. I left all my valuables out and exposed in my room and had no problems.

If you want to be in the middle of town this is not the place to stay. It is a 10 minute at most walk form the royal palace and main intersection in town. 20 minutes leisurely to get to monkey forest.

There are roosters in the area so bring ear plugs or get naturally woken up in the morning.

I used the driver to get from Legian to Ubud and it was 350 000. Not cheap but reliable and picked my up from the hotel I was at and took me where ever I wanted for the day. I did a local tour through the hotel for 400 000 which again could cost less. I would recommend looking around once you arrive to book a tour/driver. To get to the airport was 250 000. Still steeper than what I would like but convineient.

The whole home/hotel is decorated in a more old Bali style. Free wifi in the lobby. Just ask.

Overall great room. Good food. Nice people. Not best deal for car hire.

I would recommend and comeback.

Room Tip: Ask to not have a room with the ravine/gorge view.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank 5br3
Selah, Wa
Reviewed 7 April 2012

This homestay came highly recommended. My family and I were excited to be in Ubud and the city is as wonderful as we expected. However, I was disappointed by Ketut's Place. Although, clearly, at one time, it was a lovely place, now, it is run down. It appears that the owners have not put much time or money into maintaining the place. The swimming pool has lots of missing tiles. Our bathroom smelled of mildew. The bedding was cheap. The owner did not seem much interested in taking care of his guests. We returned to Ubud later on in our 3 week stay in Bali. On our return, we investigated and found several other cleaner, friendlier places near the Monkey Forest.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank Lisa L
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 18 March 2012

After reading some of the Trip Advisor reviews I couldn't help but wonder if we had even stayed at the same place. We (2 couples) stayed there for a 4 day period this month and had a welcoming, peaceful, and very enjoyable stay with Ketut and his family. Yes, it was damp....when one stays on the side of a gorge and it pours rain, one is in the middle of the jungle! What a wonderful and new experience! Our newly renovated rooms were cleaned every day and lovely. Ketut and his family were nothing but gracious and welcoming, and took special nurturing care of our friend who was not feeling well. Some travelers may forget that to be treated with respect and kindness, it starts with our own behaviors. The only negative comment I have is that the rooms smell of moth balls and it is next to impossible to get rid of that scent on your clothes and luggage items. I brought this to Ketut's attention and the moth balls were removed. The major pool renovation was getting underway the day we left so ask ahead of time to ensure the pool is functioning if that is important to you. We learned SO much about Balinese customs and culture from several family members. The Balinese meal is not only an opportunity to have a taste of traditional food but also serves to meet other travelers and share interesting stories and experiences. Thank you all for such an enjoyable stay, and for sharing your home, your time and your knowledge. We were not short-changed! Namastay...

Room Tip: The deluxe rooms at the bottom of the gorge are down a LONG flight of steps, but the suites and soun...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Karonasia
wigan
Reviewed 14 March 2012

I stayed at Ketuts' Place at the end of a month long stay in Bali, so had a lot to compare it with.

It was friendly, clean, good location with a very authentic Balinese feel.

I would definitely recommend it for single travellers, who are more mature!

Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank kathleen B
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 2 January 2012

My stay here was not good. Ketut was indifferent at best. My room was dark, dank and depressing. Bathroom dirty. My swimming costume bottoms never returned from their laundry service and I came home one day to find my window had been left open by whoever had come in to change towels. Given there is no capacity in the room to secure valuables this concerned me. Not being able to see my final bill in an itemized form seemed odd. But by that point I was willing to pay just to get out......maybe that is ketuts strategy!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple